Who still plays the Exile Trilogy & Why

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who still plays the Exile Trilogy & Why
Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #0
I play the Exile Trilogy becuase I never lived in the 32-bit era & I love retro games.....Plus it has a storyline and gameplay that I have found in no other games. :) What are your opinions?

EDIT:Chuck norris rules

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 19:06: Message edited by: Exiled Necromancer ]

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
I love the Exile Trilogy (and BoE). It's so easy and quick to play, there are so many more options for weapons and spells, and the graphics are better (ha!).

I think I've replayed Exile III at least 20 times - no other game besides BoE has grabbed that much of my attention.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I think until recently Exile 3 was the game I've played through the most. When I finish the others (Nethergate, Geneforge trilogy, and Avernum 3) I want to go back and play them again and make some BoE parties to play the scenarios.

I miss the 2 weapon buzz saw fighters and watching shockwave destroy an Empire army in Exile 2 at the checkpoints. Free loot whenever I was short of cash.

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 19:26: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #3
The Exile trilogy has the best spell system of all the Spiderweb games.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
Exile 3 was the first Spiderweb game I played, and the only of the Exile Trilogy that I could tolerate. It was what got me hooked on RPG's, I've played it countless times.

I pretty much exhausted all of E3's replayability, so now I get caught up on old BoE scens whenever I need my Exile fix. So yeah, play BoX.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #5
I still play occasionally. Why? Because I like them.
The Exile series was one of the first real computer games I played. There's a soft spot in my heart for them.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
I lost my registration codes for the old Exile games a while ago. And you know what, it's not quite worth bothing Jeff for new ones. Avernum has the same story (I got the CDs for those ones, no more lost codes for me), and even though I kind of miss the old Exile art, I find the new engine far superior. And Geneforge's is even better still.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #7
I still play. Why? Because it's good. It's a classic.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
I'm a die-hard Avernum fan, though recently I started regretting that I can't play BoE on my Intel iMac. I tried with an emulator called Sheepshaver, but it's a lousy emulator, really. You can install all the program you want, but upon running them, the emulator sort of crashes.

Yes, I do liked the Exile series. I liked the Avernum series better, though.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 57
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

The Exile trilogy has the best spell system of all the Spiderweb games.
Agree with that,just wished the avernum series had all the spells as they were great :rolleyes:
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #10
Still play it....ocassionally. After all these engrossing stories and technology in BoX scenarios, it feels actually pleasant to come back to a simple plot and some general hack and slash for a while.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
Drakey's comment made me do a bit of a double-take. It seems that the Exile players are more likely to replay the games than the Avernum players. Why? You've got the respawning dungeons, but it's not like the plot changes each time you play it.

--------------------
Software and cathedrals are much the same - first we build them, then we pray.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
Exile 3 was the first Spiderweb game that I played (and subsequently bought), and so it will hold a special place in my gamer's heart. It actually was one of the first good quality computer games that I ever played, and I regret that I after I had registered I did not appreciate its vastness until much later. Unfortunately, by that time I had gotten a new computer and Exile 3 was not deemed important enough to port over, since it was difficult enough back then to transfer my family's important, business related things.

I loved the spell system in Exile 3 and its great variety of monsters. Many of the spells were indeed virtually useless, but that did not stop me from buying every single one available. Money was cheap in those games, and food was never really that big of a deal. I kind of wish now I could find the time to play it all over again.

However, Avernum 3 seems well polished and I would rather play the full version of that over Exile 3 again. The jury is still hung on Avernum 4, and they are of course ignorant of Geneforge 4 because they all have PCs.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
It's so easy to replay Exile III with various quests in mind - "How fast can I win?" or "Can I win with a no-magic singleton?"

It's just so fun! Part of the reason the recent spidweb games aren't as fun to replay is due to the boring, repetitive beginning/tutorial sections.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Some of the things that are neat about the Avernum engine are a lot less neat on replays. The dialogue system is one. Exile allows you to skip pretty much whatever dialogue you don't want to hear again. Avernum makes you go through conversations in their entirity to get what you need. You can't just blindly page through either, since you have to read the options and choose the relevant ones.

Another is the combat system. Avernum's is in many respects better balanced, but there is less variety. A lot of this is due to the spell system.

In general, simplicity is an advantage. Fiddling with or observing details can be fun the first play-through, but is less enjoyable with each successive replay, in most games.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #15
Although I haven't played it in some time, Exile II will always be just about the greatest game ever made. It was the first Spiderweb Software product I ever registered, and was, in fact, the first game at all I registered. The number of days I'd spend 6 hours after a school buzzing through the Vahnatai lands were countless but so much fun...even though I used the hint book! (granted, it's impossible without that thing) The graphics are so nice and classy, with such vibrant colors, and up until you beat the game there's always something new to do. Plus, the story is so deep, with so many sideplots. Exile I, III, and BoE will always be better than their Avernic counterparts since they're so vivid, but Crystal Souls will always be better even than them.

Exile II is the cadillac of games.

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 14:18: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #16
I first saw Exile 1: Escape From the Pit on a Galaxy of Games disk in 1998. I played the demo for hrs. I didn't even buy the game until a few months later when I had some extra money. My favorite game is Exile 3: Ruined World. I believe the real reason we play the old games again is that while playing them, we get a sense of nostalgia. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #17
Exile III is the coolest game ever. I must agree with others, no other Spiderweb game has a comparable spell system and it's just so very replayable.

Though I must admit that it's lost some replayability since I've learned a game breaker, because I'm always tempted to use it.

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 20:14: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 7823
Profile #18
I had an awesome dream last night: Exile 4.

Don't shatter my hopes. Please, please, use Move Mountains and destroy one block at a time if you have to, so I can numb out the pain before it becomes overwhelming.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #19
I see no reason not to play Exile. I prefer its graphics to those of Avernum's, simply because I played Exile first. :P

Exile III is still possibly the greatest game released by Jeff. EVER

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #20
I believe that Exile 3 was the game on which Jeff spent the most time and effort. In comparison to his earlier games, it was truly massive. The unique puzzles and such, like the buttons in the Giants caves and the exploding rocks in the New Factory, were entertaining. The Tower of Shifting Floors and the Tower of Zkal must have taken a long time to design, but they were worth the effort in my opinion.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #21
I found the exile triligy on the galexy of games disk too and i don't think that you can find any of his recent games on misc. disks ...can you?

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Exiled Necromancer:

I found the exile triligy on the galexy of games disk too and i don't think that you can find any of his recent games on misc. disks ...can you?
I would seriously doubt it since it was first done to get his name out in the market. He doesn't need to cheaply market himself anymore. His games are sold worldwide! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #23
Speaking of Galaxy of Games, I first found Spiderweb Software by playing demos of Exile I and II on a MacCubed CD. Those were the days.

[ Friday, December 29, 2006 20:36: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
Seeing as how many people first found Spiderweb games on game CDs, it would make sense to continue doing so unless something fundamental has changed with either game CDs or where people find their games.

Dikiyoba first found Spiderweb on a game CD as well, though it was Avernum and not Exile.

Edit: Typo.

[ Friday, December 29, 2006 20:37: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

Pages