No tag backs!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: No tag backs!
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #0
A Massachusetts elementary school has prohibited children from playing tag at recess. Where does it end? In another few years, will they also ban swings and jungle gyms? Kids get hurt sometimes. It's a fact of life.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Heh. We had a game called 'Raptors'. One person started out as a Raptor, and every time they 'attacked' someone else, they became a Raptor too. The teachers deemed the game too violent and told us not to play it.

So we started playing a game called 'Vampires'. Same rules, but instead of jumping off the jungle gym roof and kicking people, we just stumbled around going "Garghhhhhh..."

Good times.

--------------------
Rrraaarrr... I mean... gaaaarghhh...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
I heard about that, and these so-called 'safety precautions' are getting out of hand. Seriously, I understand the need to keep harmful accidents to a minimum. However, soon they'll just have kids sit outside for thirty minutes, just because there's no risk of kids getting hurt (Which, by the way, isn't true. Believe me, I know. ;) ). Tag, Dodgeball, and all of those fun activities are useful because they burn off excess energy that kids build up during class. They even would help fight the obesity problem we face today. So why ban them? Just make sure that these types of games are supervised, and you'll be fine.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Heck, the games don't even have to be supervised... just make sure the school nurse is well-trained.

It's insane, that's what it is. I remember the wonderful feeling of hitting the gravel after jumping/falling off a piece of arsenic-treated playground equipment... it was fun. It was childhood. Woodchips were just the beginning... this crazy "you can't hurt yourself no matter how hard you try" rubber that I'm seeing in so many playgrounds now just has to go away.

Part of being a kid is learning what you can and can't physically get away with. I was deeply disturbed when I found that my elementary school's playground had been replaced by some new, safe, plastic monstrosities.

Give me splinters and gravel any day!

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #4
I remember when my elementary school forbade climbing on top of the jungle gym after someone fell off and cracked open her head and wound up physically disabled and severely retarded for the remainder of her short life.

Whatever happened to childhood, dammit? Kids are supposed to get hurt. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 15:02: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Part of being a kid is learning what you can and can't physically get away with. I was deeply disturbed when I found that my elementary school's playground had been replaced by some new, safe, plastic monstrosities.

Give me splinters and gravel any day!

My elementary school had a macadam playground everywhere but under the jungle gym. We even had a slide that ended with a 1' drop to the ground. I recently went past that same school and found that it had, like everywhere else changed to that very same plastic monstrosity. :(

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
I got smashed too many times to actually have memories of the playground experience. But I do remember that every surface was capable of providing a scrape or cut. Steel slides, chain link swings, wooden see-saw, and the ball on a rope on a post. All decent fun. I do remember kids at my school seeing how fast they could run down a hill above the school. Once every fall, and once every spring some poor kid would manage to make it all the way to the brick wall.

The way I look at it is, it is kind of an IQ test. If you manage to survive childhood then you are fit to breed and be a parent. If you survive, but only barely, you will breed profusely and make a crappy parent. If you don't survive, well Hallmark is a great card company. Now with all the built in cushions, everyone can survive and the net result is poor genetic stock maintain its grip on America.

Damn... Now I feel like running down a hill. :(

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
Thankfully, my school hasn't succumbed to this yet. I like to think it's because they have their head in the right place, but more likely, they just can't afford it.

--------------------

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
I cannot believe they are doing that. What would growing up without tag be? And with the government making students get out of school at 4pm and massive amount of homework kids get who would have time to play tag after school? One would think that with all the console and computer games hating they'd actually encourage tag and other outdoor games.

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Heh. We had a game called 'Raptors'. One person started out as a Raptor, and every time they 'attacked' someone else, they became a Raptor too. ."
Heh, yeah we had that too. I miss being a kid, getting old sucks. Great now I feel like playing tag. *Decides to go follow her little brother around*
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

you can't hurt yourself no matter how hard you try

You know the funny thing? That's not even true. I have proven this many times. And I am proud of it. :D

Seriously, though. When I was a kid (as if I didn't still consider myself one), it was all about getting pegged with the ball when playing Dodgeball or Kickball. The "dangerous" wooden and metal playground equipment was the most fun around, aside from the climbing trees, which kids aren't even allowed to climb any more. We played in the sand, the dirt, the gravel… you name it. Hell, we brought bikes, roller blades, and other sports equipment to school. Everything except the safety gear that goes with.

Not only that, but we had a creek at my first school. A creek the flowed from a farm, meaning that there were pesticides in the water. We played in the mud!

Now, all that's different. Dodgeball and kickball aren't even allowed most of the time, and when they are, it's always "below the waist" or "below the knees". They've replaced all the play structures with that plastic bull****. It doesn't prevent any injuries, just shocks you sometimes when you touch it. I haven't seen even the rubber/plastic "monstrosities" for several years. Now it's all artificial woodchips, made from the very same rubber/plastic material. It's even more harmless. Trees and creeks at school are out of the question. It's so boring!

It makes me wonder how the kids feel about this treatment. I mean, why don't they just put them in straight jackets and padded rooms, or strap them into those hospital beds for their recess?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Kitana:

*Decides to go follow her little brother around*
My brother is too old for tag (see signature) but I'm thinking the dog needs to get woken up and chased around the yard. While only just as safe as running down the hill, I wouldn't have to climb back up to the house.

:D

--------------------
quote:

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
EDIT: [SARCASM]

These schools are obviously moving in the right direction. However, it's completely irresponsible of them to neglect the biggest danger to kids: bicycles. Far more kids get hurt or even killed riding bikes than playing tag, climbing playground equipment, or doing any other unreasonably dangerous activity. The duty of every responsible parent is to push for protection of our children from this lethal threat.

Protect our kids! Ban the bikes!

PS And I don't even need to mention other dangerous transportation devices such as rollerskates, skateboards, and skis. Even adults shouldn't be allowed to operate these devices without proper safety training and a license.

EDIT: [/SARCASM]

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 15:57: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
Please tell me you're joking.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Please tell me you're joking.
I hope you were joking. Are you implying that there are people smart enough to use a computer, who would consider skis and skateboards to be "dangerous devices that should require license to operate even for adults"?

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 15:56: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #14
I actually agree with his (Zeviz's) post script. What's written above that I'll take as a joke. Although I've seen kids do things that should be illegal on a bike, and I'm fiercely against riding bikes on the streets, bikes are as big of a part of growing up as Saturday morning cartoons.

Edit: Y'all need to type slower.

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 15:52: Message edited by: Kitana ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
Unfortunately, you don't have to be all that smart to use a computer anymore.

EDIT: I consider riding a bike in the street acceptable, so long as said bike is currently being used for transportation.

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 15:57: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

EDIT: [SARCASM]

These schools are obviously moving in the right direction. However, it's completely irresponsible of them to neglect the biggest danger to kids: bicycles. Far more kids get hurt or even killed riding bikes than playing tag, climbing playground equipment, or doing any other unreasonably dangerous activity. The duty of every responsible parent is to push for protection of our children from this lethal threat.

Protect our kids! Ban the bikes!

PS And I don't even need to mention other dangerous transportation devices such as rollerskates, skateboards, and skis. Even adults shouldn't be allowed to operate these devices without proper safety training and a license.

EDIT: [/SARCASM]

That sucks. I've got a special emoticon for sarcasm, but I'm pretty sure it would merit a more common title. I'll send it along, just in case.

--------------------
quote:

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #17
Sorry if my previous post sounded rude. I didn't mean to insult anybody here. I guess the difference in perception is due to a cultural differences between America and other places. (There are no bicycle helmets in Russia, not even talking about plastic playground equipment, or "do not put on your head" labels on plastic bags.) So for me the idea of banning bikes and requiring adults to have license to to use skis, skates, and so on is as insane as an idea to require all cars to drive no faster than 10 miles per hour to avoid accidents, or an idea to require every pedestrian to wear bright orange glow-in-the-dark coats at night to avoid accidents.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

...or an idea to require every pedestrian to wear bright orange glow-in-the-dark coats at night to make them easier targets.
FYT.

:P

Americans are generally very insecure about their safety. Mostly I think they just don't want to worry about things, and rely on labels to inform them of the inherent dangers. It may be that lawyers play a role, and have created a litigious society because it directly benefits them. But that would be crazy, I know that lawyers are always looking at all sides of each issue when they do their lawyering stuff.

--------------------
quote:

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Kitana:

I'm fiercely against riding bikes on the streets
Many places prohibit riding bikes on the sidewalk, actually. It's considered a danger to pedestrians. (I wonder if Alo rides a bike... :P )

As someone who uses his bike regularly for transportation, I'm all for riding bikes on the street. The only problem is that the laws requiring bicycles to obey the rules of the road and be treated by motorists as if they themselves were motorists are rarely ever enforced.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
As someone who uses his bike regularly for transportation, I'm all for riding bikes on the street.
I'd rather have decent shoulders to ride on. I ride my bike on the sidewalk (when there is a sidewalk) because the shoulder of the road is too narrow (and often bumpy). I don't want to be on the same road as cars going 45, 55 miles per hour.

Originally by Nemesis:

quote:
It doesn't prevent any injuries, just shocks you sometimes when you touch it.
At Dikiyoba's school, that got turned into a game. Climb up to the plastic slide, build up as much static electricity as possible on the way down, run for the nearest metal object (or kid), and shock yourself as badly as you can. Repeat for half an hour.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Demoniac Dikiyoba:

I'd rather have decent shoulders to ride on.
Are piggy-back rides still allowed? I've not seen much of that from the bicyclists in my area.

Edit - poor bracketing.

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 17:06: Message edited by: Spammin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #22
I try not to ride my bike in the street. And I don't mean right next to the sidewalk. Out here, the bike lanes are in the middle of the roads. What a stupid idea.

Someone mentioned wood chips as a replacement for sand. I can say from experience that that hurts a lot more than sand. whoever came up with that idea needs to be shoved into a pile of splintery wood chips.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #23
I'm glad I grew up before this happened. Almost everything that got or is getting banned was fun back then. I managed to survive getting hit in the head by almost every type of ball and a few baseball bats. I seem to have a thick skull since I still graduated college with a PhD in physics in spite of all the damage.

If children don't have physical activity then they grow up to be couch potatoes playing computer game versions of the real games and eventually spend all their time chatting on boards and playing games like we do.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
My brother has more than a few complaints about the rules of recess and such, and I agree with him for the most part. Why don't they just have all the kids' parents just sign release forms saying they won't sue the school. If the parents don't want to sign, then let the kids sit in the library and actually learn or something. The only rule should be that if a kid doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to.

--------------------
-ben4808

Pages