Oh my God, you just can't make this **** up.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Oh my God, you just can't make this **** up.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
See, it's an unfair contest. If the Christians are right, the atheists lose out big time. If the atheists are right, nobody gets the last laugh because you just turn off and start rotting.

If the Aztecs were right, though, we're all in for some interesting times post-mortem.

—Alorael, who is hoping that the Fosterites are right. Their Heaven sounds like good, wholesome, tacky fun.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #76
And if the reincarnationists are right we will be having this arguement again and probalby not even know it. Except for those whose bad karma has pushed them down on the evolutionary scale.

H. G. Wells had a nice short story about someone who wound up going down instead of upwards as he planned.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Dropkick Culture:

See, it's an unfair contest. If the Christians are right, the atheists lose out big time. If the atheists are right, nobody gets the last laugh because you just turn off and start rotting.

If the Aztecs were right, though, we're all in for some interesting times post-mortem.

—Alorael, who is hoping that the Fosterites are right. Their Heaven sounds like good, wholesome, tacky fun.

And that's just the problem. With so many people all thinking they're right, it is immensely unlikely that whatever belief you have picked is correct. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #78
Al:
quote:

Stranger in a Strange Land = TEH ROXXORZ!

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

Everybody dies.

and

No one can take it with them.
(for the proverbial challenged, 'it' being ones possessions when they die)

Hey, speak for yourself. I plan on being cryogenically preserved.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #80
quote:
Or a gay person still living in the closet.
Yeah, what gives with that? My brother wasn't even in the closet very long and when he did come out, his friends still accepted him. (Although our parents had a hard time with it)
quote:
—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once.
What is a deivore?

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #81
One who eats gods. As a carnivore eats meat, and a herbivore eats plants.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

And if the reincarnationists are right we will be having this arguement again and probalby not even know it.
I bet we did already have this argument... and the fact that we're still having it means that our karma is collectively busted.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #83
quote:
Everybody dies.
What about Enoch? Elijah?

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #84
quote:
Yeah, what gives with that? My brother wasn't even in the closet very long and when he did come out, his friends still accepted him. (Although our parents had a hard time with it)
There are three of us, one gay and us not. When he tried to tell us the other cut him off, essentialy acknowledging the gayness byut refusing to deal with it. I believe the legal term is willful blindness. Its sad when you can't even be yourself around friends.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally written by Oh, the pain, the pain:

quote:
Everybody dies.
What about Enoch? Elijah?

They died in the process of ascension. The human body does not bode well at high altitudes. :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #86
Is Jesus dead, then? :P
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #87
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #88
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

Is Jesus dead, then? :P
Well, he did die. I doubt he stayed in his human form after his ascention, but as an all-powerful deity he can do as he pleases. He did promise all his followers that they would have eternal life also, just after their death of course.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #89
quote:

Is Jesus dead, then?

Well, he did die. I doubt he stayed in his human form after his ascention, but as an all-powerful deity he can do as he pleases. He did promise all his followers that they would have eternal life also, just after their death of course.

So you are saying that Jesus is a separate deity from
God? He is the son of God so he is another being. But by worshiping Jesus you break the first commandment which has that you shall have no other god before me.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #90
And the Holy Spirit is probably feeling miffed at being left out. Besides, various bodhisattvas will tell you that Jesus really isn't a very nice guy for promising life after death. He's definitely part of the problem and not the solution.

—Alorael, who thinks Elijah's story just goes to show how the Old Testament is better. None of this silly getting nailed to a log to prove a point. If you're going to ascend bodily to Heaven, you do it in style with flaming chariot.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #91
quote:
—Alorael, who thinks Elijah's story just goes to show how the Old Testament is better. None of this silly getting nailed to a log to prove a point. If you're going to ascend bodily to Heaven, you do it in style with flaming chariot.

Plus he gets to come back to visit. Jesus gets eaten by those cannibal Catholics. Which explains why Catholicism is so popular among cannibals. They like a religion that emphasizes eating powerful leaders.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #92
All you need to know about the second coming of Jesus can be found here.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #93
quote:

quote:

Plus he gets to come back to visit. Jesus gets eaten by those cannibal Catholics. Which explains why Catholicism is so popular among cannibals. They like a religion that emphasizes eating powerful leaders.

lol cathlicz

[ Wednesday, July 12, 2006 19:58: Message edited by: 1984 ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #94
Elijah also gets to drink wine all over the world on Passover, one cup per household. Pretty good deal.

(I'm guessing his liver is immortal)

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #95
quote:

quote:

Is Jesus dead, then?

So you are saying that Jesus is a separate deity from God? He is the son of God so he is another being. But by worshiping Jesus you break the first commandment which has that you shall have no other god before me.

As I understand it, God is God, and Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God are also God manifested as the Holy Trinity. So Jesus is either not quite the same thing as God or exactly the same thing as God, depending on how you look at it. Either way, Jesus is not a separate God from God, so no problems there. Anyway I don't think that's what Jewels said at all.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #96
To summarize:

9 = 7, except when pi < 2.

Really, once you get a handle on it, christianity makes a whole lot of sense.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #97
Trinity is a difficult subject.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

All you need to know about the second coming of Jesus can be found here.
For some reason, I feel more comfortable with this interpretation than the rest of Christianity at large...

So, in the Trinity, there's a dude who got nailed to a log, a big booming voice that tells people to sacrifice their children, and a dove... and they're all the same person. In a very non-binding and vague way.

... right.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #99
With respect to Elijah, the theory that I've seen is that he didn't go to heaven, merely a whirlwind that captured him and bodily removed him to a new location on earth, as evidenced by his writings that occurred after the ascension.

With respect to everybody dies, I'm holding out for the resurrection. If it occurs your statement becomes wrong.

--------------------

Pages