My God can beat up your God!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: My God can beat up your God!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #175
Has anybody read the information from the link I gave about the 12th Imam. I couldn't figure out whether Mislims think of Jesus as on just another prophet, or as of son of God?
/*
Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #4085. As we see Imam Mahdi is from the Ahlul Bayt of Prophet Muhammad, so he can not be Jesus (the Messiah; al-Maseeh).
*/
Here he is called a messiah (the annointed one).
/*
Do you agree that Prophet Jesus (AS) is still alive? He is in fact 1,994 years old now. Of course, he is not living on Earth right now; he is living in the Heavens. But according to Muslim's belief, he will come back to Earth, and will pray behind Imam al-Mahdi (AS).
*/
And here he is called a prophet. Does the title of messiah mean he is considered to be a son of God? And what means "to pray behind"? Behind the area of influence or behind his back? :confused:

Edit: why do I always start a new page? :confused:

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:24: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #176
Cue Simpsons opening sequence.
Go to Bart writing on the blackboard:

MUSLIMS DO NOT CONSIDER JESUS THE SON OF GOD

I think you get the point.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #177
In Islam Jesus is not the son of Allah but a prophet.

This religion is very different from Christianity and Judaism, it just looks similar. All the major points about it are in fact the opposite though.

Seriously, Allah is not Arabic for God. It is the proper name of a specific deity.

When the koran states that Allah is the god of Abraham it doesn't mean the same god Christians or Jews pray to.

It also claims that information in the Bible, New and Old Testament is mistaken.

Edit: Track 4 got all that down while I was still typing.

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:48: Message edited by: GremlinJoe ]

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #178
Really, any question you may have that is not directly related to Spiderweb Software has been answered on the Simpsons. Usually by Homer J.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #179
Edit: Nevermind. Anyway that wasn't serious. :)

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:16: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #180
quote:
Originally written by GremlinJoe:

This religion is very different from Christianity and Judaism, it just looks similar. All the major points about it are in fact the opposite though.
*facepalm*
Um, not true. I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. What are the "major points" of J, C, and I, and how are I's all the opposite of J's and C's?

quote:
Seriously, Allah is not Arabic for God. It is the proper name of a specific deity.
Well, yes and no. There is some debate about whether Arabic Allah is better translated as "Allah" or "God". However, the word itself is pretty much congruent to English "God". It's a contraction of al "the" + ilah "god". So it's not Arabic for "god" but it is pretty much Arabic for "God".

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #181
It is not the same god though. Allah has his origin in ancient Mecca. It does mean what you've said it means but the ancien Meccan god was supposed to be set above all others, so anyone acknowledging him would have to call him "The god" as in the only one.

That is a lot of proof in itself that Allah is in fact an opponent of the Jewish god. He independantly claims soveriegnty over all things.

And by different I mean if you read what the religions say about certain things found in all three.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #182
quote:

It is not the same god though. Allah has his origin in ancient Mecca. It does mean what you've said it means but the ancien Meccan god was supposed to be set above all others, so anyone acknowledging him would have to call him "The god" as in the only one.

That is a lot of proof in itself that Allah is in fact an opponent of the Jewish god. He independantly claims soveriegnty over all things.

And by different I mean if you read what the religions say about certain things found in all three.

As a friend, I implore you to stop writing. It has passed the embarassing point, and now is making you seem infantile. :)

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #183
You don't scare me, I know a lot of Muslims would in fact agree with me. Muslims native to the middle east.

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #184
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #185
No, because the Qur'an is pretty clear about Allah being the god worshipped by Abraham. Abraham is generally accepted as a worshipper of the god mentioned frequently in the Old Testament.

Actually, there's a great deal of agreement that Allah is a good translation of "God" in Arabic. It's good enough that translations of the Tanakh and the Bible into Arabic use Allah.

—Alorael, who can see a case being made for Islam co-opting an existing deity to spread monotheism much like Christianity absorbed pagan holidays. And much like Elohim might be an evolution of an early God. That doesn't make the Judaism to Christianity to Islam progression any less true.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #186
There's no real debate over translating "God" as Allah. The debate is over translating Allah as "God" or leaving it as "Allah".

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #187
Y'all can relax now. I got a phone call from my God saying that she had kicked the crap out of your Gods. Game over.

--------------------
quote:

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #188
quote:

It is not the same god though. Allah has his origin in ancient Mecca.
And Dyaus Pita, the Vedic god, has his origin in Indo-European culture, but it would be silly to call him identical to Jupiter or Zeus.

quote:
It does mean what you've said it means but the ancien Meccan god was supposed to be set above all others, so anyone acknowledging him would have to call him "The god" as in the only one.
One could say exactly the same thing about the Jewish God or the Christian God. Try it: "The Jewish God was supposed to be set above all others, so anyone acknowledging him would have to call him 'the god,' that is, the only one." One does in fact refer to "the God of the Jews," not "a god of the Jews."

quote:
That is a lot of proof in itself that Allah is in fact an opponent of the Jewish god.
Um, no, it's evidence that they're the same thing, because they say the same things about themselves.

quote:
He independantly claims soveriegnty over all things.
As does the Jewish God. As does the Christian God. More evidence that they're the same.

quote:
This isn't a sentence, but I think you're trying to say that the religions describe the same aspects of their god in different ways. Cite an example if you want this to count as evidence.

Seriously, though, just let it go. Allah is not Satan. There's no good theological connection between the two, and you're making yourself look even more ridiculous than you already do by pretending that there is.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #189
Oh, mighty Odin, bring the enlightenment to all of us! Show your powers, tell your mighty son Thor to pour rain on our darkened minds. Let him flash a lightning, striking those, who don't believe! :P

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #190
You know, if you mocked a religion like Judaism or Christianity that way, here, you'd be attacked by many and maybe even warned. I don't appreciate anybody's religion being mocked, and that includes people who aren't here.

It's just jerkish.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #191
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yet members of these religions hate members of the other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will you please change that statement.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I have edited my post.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #192
quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:

quote:
quote:
Yet members of these religions hate members of the other.

Will you please change that statement.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I have edited my post.

It is a perfectly good statement. It's obvious that the meaning was not "Yet the members of one religion hate the members of the other" because that's obviously not true. It should be read as "Yet certain members of these religions hate members of the other". This is a valid opinion and perfectly innocent. It should not have been removed.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #193
quote:
Originally written by Axem Ranger Six:

You know, if you mocked a religion like Judaism or Christianity that way, here, you'd be attacked by many and maybe even warned. I don't appreciate anybody's religion being mocked, and that includes people who aren't here.
It's just jerkish.

So, if my religion is Jedi, I should be offended by your mentioning Darth Vader? Like if you mentioned Satan for Christian? I think you should take my statement a bit more easy, shouldn't ya? Speaking about ways to insult somebody, you never know what can be an insult for your opponent. So please, stop saying insults my way. Pretty please? And for you to know, I find saying "jerkish" to anyone is offending.
And, more to say, scandinavian mythology along with slavonic are my beloved topics in history of formation of my nation. So, mentioning Odin, Loki, Thor, Valkiria, Jarilo, Perun and any other deity from my nation's history I find most fittable here in this theme. As for you, I'm sure, you just don't understand what you were talking about when saying I mocked someone's religion, someone who is not here. I AM HERE and I'm not insulted by me mentioning my religion. Fair enough?
Sorry would be nice, by the way.

P.S. Since my parents live in Israel, for some time I am rather familiar to Judaism. I find many interesting things in it along with some absurd for me. But I'll never post something here if I am not sure I know what I'm talking about.

Edit: There is a Jedi religion nowadays.
Edit2: Typo

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 21:44: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #194
Odin is the name of the boat I fish. Regularly my life continues at the discretion of Odin. Old one eye is an easy fellow with whom to get along, so long as he receives regular blood sacrifices. I comply often.

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #195
Njerd is one of Aces, who is the master of sailors and fishermen. Don't forget about him, too. Odin is the patron of wisdom and master of Valhalla. It is a good move to name a boat after him. But again, don't forget to comply Njerd as well.
One eyed fellow is great, but he needs blood of his enemies sometime. :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #196
quote:
Oh, mighty Odin, bring the enlightenment to all of us! Show your powers, tell your mighty son Thor to pour rain on our darkened minds. Let him flash a lightning, striking those, who don't believe!

Actually a few years ago Denamrk considered the old pagan religion based upon Norse mythos to be allowed along side mainstream religions. So this is a legitamate religion at least there.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #197
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

quote:
Oh, mighty Odin, bring the enlightenment to all of us! Show your powers, tell your mighty son Thor to pour rain on our darkened minds. Let him flash a lightning, striking those, who don't believe!

Actually a few years ago Denamrk considered the old pagan religion based upon Norse mythos to be allowed along side mainstream religions. So this is a legitamate religion at least there.

That is a pleasure to hear. And I think the freedom of religion allows anybody follow any religion he wants. A pity pagan religions are being forgot about. Like the one of slavic or slavonic

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #198
quote:
It is a perfectly good statement. It's obvious that the meaning was not "Yet the members of one religion hate the members of the other" because that's obviously not true. It should be read as "Yet certain members of these religions hate members of the other". This is a valid opinion and perfectly innocent. It should not have been removed.

*sigh* I have edited it again to make my meaning perfectly clear and not offensive while still making my undiluted point.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)

Pages