internet connection

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: internet connection
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #25
In Montana, I had 56K dial-up, though it only ended up getting around 17K. Slow slow slow.

Now I have DSL, which makes my [downloading] life much easier, and I can actually use online multimedia! Yay!!

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #26
I has the T1 innit! :)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #27
56K. And a bad one at that. Took me 1(1/2) - 2 hours to get the A4 Demo (I think thats bad...).

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #28
Well, at my college there's some insane fiber connection. I have seen download speeds on the order of 6 MB/s with fast servers (like those Apple distributes software updates from), but I assume that at that level I'm close to running up against the fact that my 12" PB doesn't have a gigabit ethernet card. I have no idea how fast it would be with that bottleneck removed.

On the other hand, at home (where I am now), the phone lines are only good enough to support about a 28.8 kilobit connection. That factor of 2000 or so makes a bit of a difference, it turns out...

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

56K. And a bad one at that. Took me 1(1/2) - 2 hours to get the A4 Demo (I think thats bad...).
My estimated download time for the A4 demo was nearing 6 hours. So I hitched it onto the schools server and did it in about two minutes. :)

My average download speed is around 1.73-2kbps. Honestly. Alex knows, and if I ever get around to taking a screenshot of it, I'll post it.

[ Monday, May 15, 2006 22:53: Message edited by: Sleepy Surburbanite xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #30
quote:
When I'm at home, I use my neighbor's wireless connection. At school I have a high speed connection through the resnet server. I'm not sure how this is classified
Classification: criminal behaviour

quote:
I used to use my neighbor's wireless connection until he figured out how to block me, since then I got cable, while in school I use the wireless connection which seems to work fairly well.

I used to shoplift from the corner store until the store owner figured out how to use a spycam.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does your neighbor realize you're using his wireless? [Smile]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure. To be honest, I don't even know which neighbor's it is. Until someone complains, about it, I'm assuming they are cool with it. That being said, I'm only home for a few weeks here and there, so it's not like I'm using it constantly.

I hotwire cars and take then for joyrides. I only do it once a month, maybe less and haven't been caught so I'm assuming the owners are OK with it and don't bother reporting it to the police or anything.

quote:
My reasoning is that anyone foolish enough to have a wireless internet connection without a firewall and proper security is asking for it. He should be happy you don't trash his computer while you're at it.

My reasoning on stealing software is that anyone foolish enought to produce something that has a code that can be cracked, and then offer it over the internet for downloading is just asking for me to take a "free" copy. He should be happy I haven't posted big signs on where to get this "free" product and that I haven't given away multiple copies.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 05:38: Message edited by: Molybdenum ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #31
I'm stuck with dial-up myself. :( I have a 56k modem, but downloads are at 4.5k if I get up early, otherwise too slow to bother. If I want to download anything larger than like 2 MB, I have to do it at school. Unfortunately, my school blocks just about everything :mad: so I tend to have to use a Google search and hope I find an alternate link. Also, it doesn't block very many UK sites. Stupid SOB even blocks DELL and the Encyclopedia Brittanica plus any gaming sites they find :mad: Death to Ome-resa!!! (blocking program)

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #32
2.5kbs on a good day.

Yes i have dial-up. :(

--------------------
I hate you all
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #33
5410: It depends. If someone has a wireless network which is broadcasting SSID beacons, has no encryption, and isn't something like "private_network", then you could argue that the network was effectively advertised as public. This would be similar to a car with no locking mechanism whatsoever on it, parked on a public road, with enough other similar things for there to be effectively a blatant implied "community usage permitted" label taped on the front. But since there is far less metadata broadcasted by an access point for humans to make decisions unlike the visual cues that can be used by a human analysing an actual scene which is of course rich on data, being visual, it's easier for an access point to be "mistaken" as for public usage.

But if the access point uses WEP with a one-letter pre-shared key of "aaa", then breaking that would be bad, yes. Analogous to a car with a very bad locking mechanism that's very easy to break. No matter how ridiculously easy to break, some security is better than no security, because it still removes reasonable doubt from the whole "authorized for public use" legal thing.

[ Thursday, May 18, 2006 19:56: Message edited by: UA ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
I got 56k dial up and was lucky to get A4 downloaded in 70 minutes. It might have been slower since I was looking at the boards at the same time to keep the file from stopping. If I don't check it can stop after 10 minutes.

I dread the 6 plus hours to download the update to my operating system from Apple.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #35
The network is called linksys, and it has no encryption or password protection. You just click on it, and it connects.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #36
There is no choice in a poll for private wireless, is it? :(
So I have 11 MBt/s of wireless at home and 2MBt/s wireless at work. Russia is still not a country, where wireless meets bloodsuckers. So far everyone feels protected enough. Complaining to be unprotected we come to deny DDK phones as well. :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by When Kangaroos Snorkel:

The network is called linksys, and it has no encryption or password protection. You just click on it, and it connects.
Uhh...Where are you from exactly? Because that is the exact name of the one I used while I was staying in California.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #38
Originally by Kingy:

quote:
Uhh...Where are you from exactly? Because that is the exact name of the one I used while I was staying in California.
I think it's a common, generic name.

Dikiyoba has seen at least two in Dikiyoba's area. And Dikiyoba is not from California.
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #39
quote:
There is no choice in a poll for private wireless, is it?

Just choose other.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

quote:
Originally written by When Kangaroos Snorkel:

Linksys is a company that makes wireless routers. The default name for a wireless network on a linksys router is probably linksys, and most people probably don't bother to change it.

I've got a wireless network and cable internet at home.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #41
Used to have 10mb/s cable ,now I'm with piece of crap dsl that maxes at 750kb/s just because my parents want a lower bill.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #42
Very sorry for reviving this topic, but there was this article on Slashdot about use of wireless access points. So it is, indeed, illegal - he hasn't been convicted yet, but he did get arrested.

Apparently, an unprotected network is not implicitly free to use...

Edit: Although the charge is "theft of services", since in this case it was a commercial service (internet café). I wonder if this would apply to home wifi networks as well.

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 05:42: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pages