Alorael have finally get a Custom Title?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Alorael have finally get a Custom Title?
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #25
The distinction between a newbie and a noob must be highly stressed in discussions such as these. A beautiful example of this distinction can be seen in Dikiyoba's first epic play.
Noobs can best be identified as BYE THERE BAD USE OF GRAMMER PUNCTUTATION< SPELLING ;) cAPiTALIZATION and exCESSIVE Emotticons and 133T speak, LOL ROFLMAO!! :D :D :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :confused:
lord llama is a pristine example of noobishness.
I plan to write a scholarly essay on the noob/newbie dichotomy at some point, and would be glad to share it with all of you.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #26
Being banned on the ikonboard helps, I guess. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #27
I don't think many people would read it. Now get busy and get me a beer.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #28
I don't know how far I've really moved up the ladder, if at all.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #29
Your name's not really helping.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #30
Not true, it is a universally established fact that noobs deny their noobishness. By calling himself a noob, Ben is actually declaring that he is not a noob.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5823
Profile #31
lolz hi guzx wasup i ma n00b lozl!!

^Not a newbie?
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #32
quote:
lolz hi guzx wasup i ma n00b lozl!!

^Not a newbie?
This feels like some "oldbies" idea of a joke. Either that he needs to do some major revision in his spelling.
On a different note (higher up the scale) I always felt like I was a oldbie :) until, I wrote my first post.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #33
I'd call MM* a lurking newbie or a new lurker myself. But labels really aren't important, as long as people don't label you an uncontrollable n00b.

And Ben isn't really the ur-noob, or he'd be speaking entirely in capital letters.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
MM is a lurker, but you can't really call someone with over a thousand posts and years of presence a newbie.

—Alorael, who also can't think of any ex-mod as a newbie. Except maybe a few very brief disappearing ET mods.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #35
Oh. Secondary account. Dikiyoba still isn't good at picking those out. Even when the name should be a huge tipoff.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #36
Perhaps a list could be constructed to clear the confusion. However, that could also lead to more tension in the community...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

Your name's not really helping.
Ya, good point. :/

I was overdue for a change anyway. Not like it does anything for my status.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #38
quote:
Perhaps a list could be constructed to clear the confusion. However, that could also lead to more tension in the community...

A list would only aggravate the debate between those that were insulted at either being on or left off the list. Also it would depend uon whether this was a list of oldbies or newbies.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #39
I was thinking more like a stamp in the profile. Sort of like the under 21 thing on licenses.

"Under 21 until MM/DD/YYYY"
"Newbie until MM/DD/YYYY"

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #40
YES PLESE MIKE A LIZ CUZE IT WULD BE VIRY HELPFIL AN LIKE KCOL. :( :o :D ;) :P :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #41
quote:
YES PLESE MIKE A LIZ CUZE IT WULD BE VIRY HELPFIL AN LIKE KCOL. [Frown] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [Confused] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]
Now, what does this remind me of. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #42
OMG YEA! :D AND TEHN ID NOW IF IM A NOOB??? :confused:

You know, a talk like a noob topic might be fun. I doubt I have the clout to start one without swift and judicious lockage.

--------------------
--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #43
Maybe if you disguised it as your "essay" really well...

Dikiyoba wanted to post a graemlin at the end of the above line to indicate a non-serious suggestion. Sadly, due to graemlin hyperinflation in this topic, Dikiyoba's single graemlin is completely worthless for that purpose.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

quote:

A list would only aggravate the debate between those that were insulted at either being on or left off the list. Also it would depend uon whether this was a list of oldbies or newbies.

A list of secondary and tertiary accounts, on the other hand, would be quite useful.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Mysterious Man:

I don't think many people would read it. Now get busy and get me a beer.
I don't know about that (the essay part, that is). However, something I would like to have is some guide to the 1337 speak, as I can't make any sense of it. I've tried time on time again, and I just don't get it. Why bother using digits that resamble letters, if you can use the letters!? It seems so beautifully stupid to me...

About the beer part: I just discovered 6 beer may be just a bit too much for my own good.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #46
Translator

Honestly, I never thought I would reference anyone to Wikipedia. It is your friend.

quote:
From the Wiki:
[/b]Leet finds its base in written communication over electronic media. Most simply, it has evolved as a way of forming exclusive cliques in on-line communities, notably Bulletin Board Systems and online multiplayer games (see Examples of Leet in videogaming).

The mechanism began simply: taking standard text and corrupting it with a dynamic cipher, with only those privy to the cipher understanding what was being conveyed in the ciphertext. Through this, newcomers to a given community were excluded from communication with those who had defined (and continued to evolve) the cipher.[/b]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #47
How can I get a customized user title?
:confused:
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

If you have to ask, you'll never know. Getting personally insulted by certain Spidwebbers before you've even arrived in a topic is a good sign.

—Alorael, who always hopes that one day he'll find himself insulted by people he doesn't know on a board on which he's never posted.

[ Sunday, May 14, 2006 01:27: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Aussieavernum:

How can I get a customized user title?
:confused:

A good question... ;)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl