Alorael have finally get a Custom Title?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Alorael have finally get a Custom Title?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #75
That gives me another variable that should be included

q = 1 if member has a custom title, 0 otherwise.

With enough information this function does have the possibility to determine a value for F[X] s.t. if F[X] > k, then the member who is represented by that set of values is an oldbie.

[ Monday, May 15, 2006 17:45: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #76
What about the member number on the Ikonboard?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #77
Why limit yourself to real coefficients? Or, for that matter, constants?

I propose that 'a' be defined as the square root of the total mass of implants (in slugs) multiplied by the member's age (in seconds, but rounded to the nearest hour) factorial.

—Alorael, who wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that determining oldbiehood is easy. Then they'd start thinking it's easy to be an oldbie, and before you knew it Spiderweb would be up to its collective ears in disaster of Dikiyoban proportions.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #78
Note that some of the values are functions, so this is still open. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #79
A solution exists.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #80
A Study of Methods for Determination of Oldbie Status

Introduction
The problem of determination of oldbie status has recently gained particular significance in various online forums, where such a status confers significant privileges, including relaxation of posting rules and permissiveness of snobbish attitude. This paper will attempt to derive a method for accurately determining whether a given member m has achieved such a status.

The Function O(m)
Since all basic laws of physics can be reduced to relatively simple formulas, we can expect a function for deducing a member's oldbie status to be compressible into a simple, compact form.

Let us now consider O(m), the function which returns a positive number if the member m is an oldbie and a negative number if the member is a newbie. (The anomalous case of O(m) = 0 will be studied in a future paper.) Such a function will be a combination of several factors, some of which are qualitative and some of which are quantitative. First, let us consider the impact of quantitative factors.

The Quantitative Factors of O(m)
Let us consider the function B(m), which takes into account only quantitative factors that determine the value of O(m). These factors include such diverse measurements as number of years the member has spent in the community (n), the member's postcount (p), and his or her member number (mn). Since the influence of these factors is mostly independent of each other, we can assume that B(m) is the sum of functions of these parameters. The exact functions will depend on the community, but overall form is the same everywhere:

B(m) = f1(n) + f2(p) + f3(mn) + ...

The Qualitative Factors of O(m)
Let us now consider the function S(m), which takes into account only qualitative factors of O(m). These factors include such measures as whether the member had ever been a moderator(m), whether the member is currently a moderator(M), and whether the member had ever been banned(b).

S(m) is much easier to derive, because its parameters are binary. The qualities they represent either apply to the member, or they don't. Thus, S(m) is a simple polynomial function with coefficients representing the relative weights of corresponding quantities and a constant(c) to set required threshold for the overall value to be positive:

S(m) = c + a1m + a2M + a3b + ...

Conclusion
The relation between S(m) and B(m) in the overall formula is multiplicative, because B(m) accounts for the quantitative factors which must pass a certain threshold, while S(m) accounts for the qualitative factors, lack of which makes quantitative factors irrelevant. Thus, the overall formula can be reduced to the simple equation:

O(m) = B(m) * S(m)

or, even more simply,

O(m) = BS

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #81
This thread is close to reaching critical mass of oldbie posts. I did not hasten the implosion.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
B(m) = f1(n) + f2(p) + f3(mn) + ...
I would not hasten to the assumption that these factors are entirely independent. Consider the extreme points of this three-dimensional function: A member with p=0 and the other two very high; on the other hand a member with n<0.01 who posts in abundance. According to this equation, if there is enough of one factor, it will balance the lack of the other. Is it not rather true that a new member who posts enormously much is likely even more of a newbie - in a way that would not apply to older members?

Besides, n and mn are even directly co-dependent: Barring anomalous cases [Marlenny, Saunders...], the member number directly reflects the time spent in the community.

:P

Edit: Dumb UBB won't give me round parantheses.

[ Monday, May 15, 2006 22:25: Message edited by: George Gammell Angell ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #83
There may be room for revision of some of Zeviz's terms, but the functional form of his final equation has that ring of manifest truth which cannot be denied.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #84
Aran, there is more discrepancy between member number of time spent here than you think. While it's certainly true that there is a significant correlation between the two, there are plenty of members who created an account but didn't post much until months or years later -- or who posted heavily, then left; or who were absent for a year, etc. This isn't obvious because few members actually proclaim these things; and while it may be obvious that member #261 hasn't been around as long as his account, it's not obvious with member numbers once you get a couple thousand into things.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #85
The way is to post your arguments for inclusion in oldbie status and let Slart weigh the evidence. If you are found wanting, troll for support among your brotherhood of the web, if still found wanting no amount of effort will reward a change of status.

My evidence: member number 5410, no idea when I first joined although it would be sometime between A2 and A3 under a previous account, abandoned it for much time and reclaimed status as 5410, so member number doesn't truly reflect age for me.

I have rated two people and been rated by 13 so I have contributed to the health of others and been considered healthy by some.

I have contributed 168 posts - but contribution is a slack term that in no way gives real value to what I have done (or not in the eyese of many.

Lastly, I don't give a fig newton what Slarty's opinion is - do oldbies really care?

Finally, lastly - some of the figures and events depicted above are true but others are not.

I wait to be weighed

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #86
So essentially what we've got here is that in order to become an oldbie, a newbie must 'cross' a hyper-plane. However, nobody knows the exact location of said hyper-plane. Good luck!

EDIT: In response to the previous post. It is quite unweildy to have all the oldbies decide. Rather a council of the oldest oldbie's should make such decisions. However, I see this failing miserably...

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 06:40: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #87
I tend to think of oldbie vs. newbie as more of behavior, attitude, and how they fit in with the community. Some people have been here a couple years, and posted over 3,000 times, but are still unable to recognize what is socially acceptable and liked. Others joined fairly recently, have few posts in comparison to others, but also fit in with the community's brand of insanity.

It seems BoX design, beta testing, and being very helpful with game and scripting questions would help as well.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #88
This is all reminiscent of that old study by that guy, about 'U' versus 'non-U' vocabulary and usage among middle and upper class British. The most telling sign of being 'non-U' was the effort to appear 'U'. (For instance, 'recall' versus 'remember': it is the seemingly more genteel 'recall' that is non-U.)

Only newbies worry about whether or not they could be oldbies.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #89
Fatman has the right idea. Slarty should decide everything. Only he can properly judge souls.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #90
You think you aren't being judged already? What do you suppose the mod board is for?

—Alorael, who has just recorded three nominations for promotion to category 223A5-blue, one demotion back down to Raddish-QU:M, and an order to have a certain member sleep with the fishes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #91
quote:
Originally written by Accidental Malice:

a certain member ... fishes.
I only see the important message. My implants concur that I need to return to the ocean for another bout.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #92
*yawn*

Where's my beer?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #93
quote:

*yawn*

Where's my beer?

Do you mean it's not there? There where did I teleport it to? Anyone getting a sudden beer popping up out of nowhere, please pass it along to Mysterious Man.

On the topic of old/new how does time between posts enter into the equation? I know there will be no agreement on post content value, so all posts have equal weight for now.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 20:20: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #94
In other words, MM, you suck. :P

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 23:07: Message edited by: Springer Bell ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #95
Randomizer:
quote:
...so all posts have equal weight for now.

Hoorah, I have value. Seriously, this demeans intelligent life as it exist on this site. Posts have exactly the value assigned to them as declared by Slarty and Slarty alone.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #96
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

On the topic of old/new how does time between posts enter into the equation? I know there will be no agreement on post content value, so all posts have equal weight for now.
At best this quantity would be extremely difficult to measure. This value is certainly not constant, thus introducing a large level of complexity into the equation.

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 09:06: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #97
Perhaps we need a new cult. The Cult of Slartucker.

--------------------
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #98
I'll quote Dareva
"I'm in favor of all Slarty related things". Thus, I'll join the cult.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 5823
Profile #99
We should hide post counts... permanently.

Pages