What happens when you die?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What happens when you die?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
In spite of the ominous title, this is not supposed to be yet another quasi-religious debate. The topic stays firmly in the tangible world, as far as the internet can be called tangible.

---

I saw an interesting topic on Slashdot recently, which I thought would be very interesting to see Spiderweb's reaction to.

So, once you die, what happens to your online identity and your data? Have you made any preparations/clauses in your will/lists of online accounts? I realize this is unfamiliar territory for a community whose average age is around 20, but some people plan ahead. I also knew a girl who was murdered a year ago at age 26. Some things happen unexpectedly...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
I suppose all accounts and such of mine will just go down with time.

I wonder if my loved ones will get on my AIM and explain what has happened, or how many people will believe it.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #2
Hm, this is another recent topic I was skeptical about before realising it's potential.

I don't have any internet accounts of value, but I could like, totally understand people including such accounts with their important records. Copyrighted pictures, music, writing and stuff (I'm thinking blogs here) would all have to have their ownership status taken care of...
Not sure if internet companies who were left in the dark about your condition, after finding out would be strict enough to track down who was legally responsible to cover unpaid bandwidth charges, etc. >_>

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 13:03: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #3
I never thought about this. I should set my computer to clear all memory in 3 months and have it reset every time I log on. Or something like that.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
Are any of us entitled to anything we post in a public forum? My understanding is that it's part of the public domain. With regard to actual accounts, I imagine they would just go the way of so many otherwise-healthy-but-non-participating noobs...
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
My online identity ceases to be important when I die. Therefore, all my account will undoubtedly rot in perpetual inactivity until those respective forums are shut down. I suppose Jeff could mine out my password and username if he wanted and give it to someone else once I died, but there'd be no point in artifically bragging about 3000 posts you didn't make.

I don't know. Will these forums live until I die?

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 14:05: Message edited by: Ur-Noob ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
All valuable numbers and passwords of mine are stored safely. For humor value I also have the numbers in files on my computer, but the files can only be decrypted with the passwords they contain.

I haven't made any explicit provisions for disseminating information about my death online, but enough people know my online haunts and there's enough overlap that everyone would hear in relatively short order.

—Alorael, who briefly considered not posting for a week or two before April 1st and then having someone post that he had died on the 1st. Ultimately, the lure of Spiderweb and a touch of guilt over morbid humor made him decide otherwise.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I am very thankful you didn't. I like jokes, but there are some things I'd find it hard to laugh about. ;) Here's hoping that your wit and rifle will remain with us for yet another half of a century. :)

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:

...So, once you die, what happens to your online identity and your data? Have you made any preparations/clauses in your will/lists of online accounts? I realize this is unfamiliar territory for a community whose average age is around 20, but some people plan ahead. I also knew a girl who was murdered a year ago at age 26. Some things happen unexpectedly...
I am assuming that for this demographic suicide is a lot more likely than an unexpected death and in that case all necessary preparations will have been made already.

As for the case of unexpected death, most online "assets" aren't worth worrying about. (Although I was amuzed to find out recently that some people are willing to pay for a low-numbered Spidweb account. :) ) Anybody who has valuable copyrighted materials, or businesses probably has them listed in his will. As for things like e-mail and forum accounts, why worry about them? If I don't want my mom going through my e-mails now, I wouldn't want her to do that after my death either.

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 19:50: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
(breathing heavily)

Aran, I'm not sure if there's something in that link that my computer doesn't like, but I clicked it and everything died. So I have resolved not to click it again (this is after an hour-long scare wherein I was almost certain that I'd lost everything).

Anybody mind summarizing the article?

EDIT: Yep, there's a definite correlation between my clicking that link and my computer dying.

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 20:32: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #10
Edit

[ Sunday, April 16, 2006 14:56: Message edited by: Dominican Desire ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #11
Maybe we all go to Vegas and live in some metacosmic slot machine.

Incidentally, ever read "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall"?

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dominican Desire:

I never like topics about death. Anyhow, I figure that if I died then people would start noticing when they don't see me on Aim. Or maybe John would read it in the newspaper and tell you all about it. Or perhaps Kel would get suspicious after me not picking up his phone calls. At any rate, the only person who knows my password is my best friend who has no knowledge of English, not enough knowledge of the Internet, and not even a computer at the time.
Why does your friend need to know your password?

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 3438
Profile #13
When I was really active in MMORPGS I was always curious what would happen if I, say, fell off a cliff or blew my brains out or something. I'm sure they'd just assume I'd stopped playing, but its kind of weird to think about.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ur-Noob:

quote:
Originally written by Dominican Desire:

I never like topics about death. Anyhow, I figure that if I died then people would start noticing when they don't see me on Aim. Or maybe John would read it in the newspaper and tell you all about it. Or perhaps Kel would get suspicious after me not picking up his phone calls. At any rate, the only person who knows my password is my best friend who has no knowledge of English, not enough knowledge of the Internet, and not even a computer at the time.
Why does your friend need to know your password?

I was just mentioning that she is the only person that has it. Of course, she DOESN'T need to know it, but we made up our passwords when we were kids, and I've used the same ever since. Thus I know hers too.

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 17:44: Message edited by: Dominican Desire ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Grignard:

When I was really active in MMORPGS I was always curious what would happen if I, say, fell off a cliff or blew my brains out or something. I'm sure they'd just assume I'd stopped playing, but its kind of weird to think about.
You may want to check out project .hack//...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Grignard:

When I was really active in MMORPGS I was always curious what would happen if I, say, fell off a cliff or blew my brains out or something.
You know, I first thought this meant that you were curious about the experience of death in real life, due to your familiarity with it in the MMORPG world. In some way, you figured that you'd just lose some experience or something and respawn at the nearest friendly town.

I was somewhat concerned for your sanity. ;)

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
I guess when I die, unless the Wayback Machine captures it, all knowledge of the Spiderweb chat logs will be gone. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I guess when I die, unless the Wayback Machine captures it, all knowledge of the Spiderweb chat logs will be gone. :P
Does it make me evil to be less sad of your future death after this post?

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #19
Yes. Yes it does.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #20
When (and IF) I die, I'll just fade away rather swiftly. I'm just plain old boring, so not many people would care. All my stuff, well, it'll just be left to rot in the vacuum of "cyberspace".

Oh well, at least I'm still alive. And plan to be "lotsa" years to come.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 6975
Profile Homepage #21
i guess when i die all my online accounts will just be forgotin or something as i have none worth keeping :(
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
I guess when I die, all my accounts will just be forgotten. Unless, of course, I had cancer (or something life-threatening) - in which case I would let people know.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
I seem to suffer from mild hypochondria and frequently panic when I'm feeling the slightest bit ill. Once, I even went to the trouble of setting up a dead man's switch on my website once that would display a list of passwords if I didn't deactivate it once a day.

I eventually took it off because the risk of being unable to come online one day and compromising all my accounts outweighed the small risk of dying and leaving things locked behind me.

A combination of Google and a keylogger ensures that there is precious little about my life that would remain private once I'm gone. Fine with me, I won't be there to be embarassed.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Jeffrey, Lord of Ultra Omega Doom:

—Alorael, who briefly considered not posting for a week or two before April 1st and then having someone post that he had died on the 1st. Ultimately, the lure of Spiderweb and a touch of guilt over morbid humor made him decide otherwise.
That would have been cool. And if you were worried about not posting at SpidWeb, you could have creaed an alias...

If I die, then I don't imagine my parents will come online and tell everybody. My MSN contacts will probably be told, since my sister uses that too, and anybody in my 'phone book would be told, of course.

But otherwise...

And why plan ahead anyway? That isn't my style at all.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...

Pages