Kissing a girl

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Kissing a girl
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #175
quote:
Originally written by King Evil:

Just as poor people are expected to try to contribue to society despite the futility of it, so too are homosexuals persuaded to convert to hetero¢hri$ti-hannity, despite the fact that many would essentially be lying to themselves and conforming to social standards from the pressure.
QFT.

I used the (basically) same argument today at lunch. Then I spilled Gatorade on my friend.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #176
I'm still slow. Why are leftists not allowed to use reasonable arguments, and why does this make said arguments invalid?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #177
I literally don't know if you're trying to lead me in circles, or if you really are that dense. Like, I genuinely haven't the foggiest idea at this point.

To clarify:
What you originally proposed (after your Kel-like remark of "flee!")-- that two people can have opposing beliefs that are logical -- is not a copout that leftists can use in an argument. It works for conservatives and pundits of all flavors, but a leftist cannot hope of ending a conversation with such cowardice. It's not allowed.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #178
I still don't get why leftists supposedly "aren't allowed" to use such arguments.

Seriously.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #179
That's not so much a provable theory, so much as it's an observable fact. For instance, if you are so inclined:
Say some comparatively "far-out" leftist idea.
Then, watch other people argue against it.
Then, use your excuse.
One of two things will happen:
1. People will continue the argument regardless
2. People will dismiss you as having "lost" and mock you (usually in your face)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #180
I think you missed my point. I wasn't trying to end the discussion with a "agree to disagree" line, I was pointing out that just because Alex disagrees with you does not make his view a half-assed attempt at logic.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #181
An agree-to-disagree argument is never founded in logic. There are few (if any?) areas where it is possible for two opposing beliefs to be both logically derived. In most areas, in fact, it is impossible for a single idea to be logically derived. On what end do you open a boiled egg?

The argument is less an appeal to reason than an attempt to gracefully withdraw from the argument without submitting to your opponent's opinion. It indicates that the idea is less important than avoiding conflict.

If the opponent's reaction to this withdrawal is a continued attack or an assumption that you have been convinced (or admitted defeat), then they are more interested in their idea than in peaceful coexistence.

Some debaters, however, employ this as a feint: Claiming such a withdrawal and then continuing the argument or restarting it at a later time might be called a hit-and-run tactic and is indeed cowardly.

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #182
Mmm. TM and Ashy-boy at it, again, with a slice of SD, on the side. Just like the good ole days.

Can't we all.... just get along? :P

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #183
quote:
Originally written by The Seraphim:

Can't we all.... just get along?
That is what I was hinting at in the previous post.

:)

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #184
Claiming that both sides are being illogical won't do a very good job of making them get along, I suspect.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #185
Yeah, they'll be united only in opposition to you, which negates your attempt at conflict resolution (if such it was).

Getting back to the subject in hand (Alex's views on homosexuality) I would say that TM has the best of it. However much he dresses it up, Alex has confessedly made a value judgement: "I'm choosing the heterosexual lifestyle because I think it's better than the homosexual one." This is somewhat offensive to other gays.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #186
Or at least it may be offensive to some gay people. It's definitely a decision in keeping with the values of his society in Utah. I wonder, were he born in Massachusetts instead or raised Unitarian, if he would arrive at the same conclusion? I believe that the answer would be no.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #187
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Yeah, they'll be united only in opposition to you, which negates your attempt at conflict resolution (if such it was).

Getting back to the subject in hand (Alex's views on homosexuality) I would say that TM has the best of it. However much he dresses it up, Alex has confessedly made a value judgement: "I'm choosing the heterosexual lifestyle because I think it's better than the homosexual one." This is somewhat offensive to other gays.

Correction, Alex chooses it because that's what feels right to him. I can see where someone would get offended, but please. You can't get sentimental just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view. Everyone is different and think differently. Now, I don't want to get involve in this whole thing, because I like both Alex and TM, and it's just plain stupid since neither is going to change their point of view. Besides, as far as I know, Alex does not have anything against Homosexuality or TM's view on the subject. He is just doing what feels right to him. Alex is not telling others that trying to change to Heterosexuality is the right thing to do, but that it is the right thing for him at this time. That's his decision and we should respect it. It is hard enough for him, so he doesn't need us to come here and make it harder.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #188
Micawber - You're saying it's wrong for Alex to want to be heterosexual because it might offend gays who don't want to change? Are you serious?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #189
The problem is not so much with what he wants as with explaining what he wants to others. If a decision really is a purely personal one, it doesn't need to be publicised.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #190
Notice that he did so only on my request.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #191
I missed the part where Alex said that homosexuality is better. His assertions were that he is rational, which struck me as perfectly appropriate (if futile) given the attitudes here, that homosexuality is a non-intrinsic psychological condition (I have seen more convincing evidence agains than for this), and that there is solid documentation of successful conversions from homosexuality to heterosexuality (again, all reputable evidence I have seen points to the contrary).

Aside from disagreement on evidence, I don't see anything wrong with Alex's position. He didn't say that being heterosexual is better, or that everyone should switch. The most he said is that everyone can; doing so is optional and, in light of his religoius faith, he would like to do so. I think the odds are stacked against him more than he believes, but that's his problem, not mine, and he's not forcing it on anyone else.

—Alorael, who wishes Alex all the best with his self-improvement even if he personally does not think he'll follow suit.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #192
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The problem is not so much with what he wants as with explaining what he wants to others. If a decision really is a purely personal one, it doesn't need to be publicised.
Did you note how relieved Alex felt just to be able to talk—for the first time to anyone—about something that was weighing heavily on his heart? We shouldn't sweep aside the pure therapeutic value of being willing to get something out. All is not logic, rationality, argument, and utility in life.

Screw what anyone else thinks about his logic or path. Alex has values and conviction which no one here is about to overturn. He has some significant confliction among them to work out through his own experience. Some people are able to see beyond the conventional boxes of limitation (homosexuality is so innate it has no possible hope of change) and are willing to grasp at something extraordinary. I say good for him for daring to take on the challenge in accordance with his values. If a person can picture something in his mind and believe in it, he is well on his way to making it a reality.

I like to see people believe in possibilities rather than limitations. They tend to be the people who break the old paradigms and help humanity advance in new directions. For every one of them, there are the 100 or 1,000,000 who will say, "It can't be done."

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 19:52: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #193
By posting about personal issues on a public forum Alex implicitly invites comment. TM's response to Alex's post was just as much an expression of his own feelings as was Alex's post itself; why is the one expression any more or less valid than the other?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #194
quote:

By posting about personal issues on a public forum Alex implicitly invites comment. TM's response to Alex's post was just as much an expression of his own feelings as was Alex's post itself; why is the one expression any more or less valid than the other?
Yes, posting surely invites comment. I don't think he was particularly looking for advice or debate. Alex can speak for himself on that count. Probably the most common communication error (not really a gender issue as it is often described) is that when a person just wants to not feel alone in his thoughts, feelings, or ideas, others will immediately seize upon it as an invitation for resolving some problem. Well-intentioned or a good exercise, sure, just not actually helpful.

Here is how Alex ended his post which initiated all this. (Should we rename this thread "Kissing a boy"?)

Alex said, " I have been absolutely dying to talk to someone and you have no idea how good it feels to have finally expressed my thoughts. Ignore the whole thing if you like."

I don't see him asking for someone to debate him on his decision. Support, inquiry, suggestion all seem appropriate. Trying to convince him he's wrong about a very sensitive issue he was brave enough to air here is futile at best, and in my opinion, insensitive to the spirit in which it was shared. If he had ended his post with, "I'm confused and unsure and would love to hear your opinions on my thinking" then it would be a whole 'nuther matter.

You're right that TM's expression of his feeling was just as valid as Alex's in expressing his. I will always defend TM or anyone else to have their vision and conviction of things, even as I am certain to see it differently myself. Too bad so many of TM's "expressions" appear fashioned to incite and insult rather than accomplish anything constructive.

That said, it is interesting to see the various opinions on the issue being posted, TM's no less. I find it most misfortunate that the context for this dialog has to be that of trying to change Alex's' perspective on such a sensitive issue. I think it's tacky and smacks of ego and personal agendas rather than actual concern for Alex.

P.S. Alex, I need a cartoon fix baaaaad maaaaaann....getting.....delirium......tremens....

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 19:05: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #195
Well, the topic is still called "Kissing a Girl," so let's just get back to the topic. Any other female webbers out there that want to fess up about their vodka induced attraction to the fairer sex? Have a nip and bare your soul.

*this message sponsored by stolichnaya*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #196
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Micawber - You're saying it's wrong for Alex to want to be heterosexual because it might offend gays who don't want to change? Are you serious?
We have arrived at the free will argument once again, like with Euthanasia.

Apparently, it is widely held that trying to change one's sexuality can cause serious psychological damage. Euthanasia, by definition, is lethally harmful. Is it wrong to pursue either by choice? The problem lies in determining whether it is one's own choice or social pressure.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #197
Is there any clear-cut difference? A child raised in a vacuum dies of asphyxiation.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #198
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

vodka induced
Off topic: That just reminded me of the school camp coming up...I'll have to pay my friend for some grog.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #199
quote:

It looked to me like Alex just wanted to be able to tell his feelings to somebody, which is a lot easier to do at an anonymous message board in a post burried deep inside a thread on a different topic, than in a personal conversation. If he wanted to start a discussion on political implications of his beliefs, he would have done it in a separate thread. There is a time and place for political discussion and there is a time and place for just letting the subject drop if you have nothing nice to say.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

Pages