Kissing a girl

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Kissing a girl
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #200
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Micawber - You're saying it's wrong for Alex to want to be heterosexual because it might offend gays who don't want to change? Are you serious?
I'm not saying it's wrong, I am saying it's offensive. Alex's religious belief is that homosexuality is inferior to heterosexuality (and strongly discouraged). This is offensive to those on the wrong end of it.

Of course, Alex is entitled to hold his own views and he is equally entitled to express them. However, sometimes one has to be aware that by choosing to express one's view one is going to cause offence.

If I said "parents who buy their kids McHappy meals are either negligent or brain-dead" that would obviously be offensive to some people. That doesn't mean that my viewpoint is wrong.

I don't say that Alex shouldn't do what he's decided. Indeed, I hope it works out for him. But I do find his decision unpalatable.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 09:06: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #201
You left out a factor. You have to choose to take offense at the belief of someone, rather than merely, say, consider it unforfunate and worthy of challenge and demonstrative proof that the belief is wrong or hurtful.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:51: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #202
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Alex's religious belief is that homosexuality is inferior to heterosexuality (and strongly discouraged).
That's possible, but that's not what he said. Reread his first explanatory post. The most he said is that he religiously believes that homosexuality is wrong for him. You can extend that to the implication that it is wrong for all Mormons. I don't see anywhere where he said it's wrong, period.

—Alorael, who must point out that just because one view often goes with another does not mean it always does. Alex, as a rational person (10x), is capable of grasping different circumstances.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #203
quote:
I'm not saying it's wrong, I am saying it's offensive. Alex's religious belief is that homosexuality is inferior to heterosexuality (and strongly discouraged). This is offensive to those on the wrong end of it.

Of course, Alex is entitled to hold his own views and he is equally entitled to express them. However, sometimes one has to be aware that by choosing to express one's view one is going to cause offence.

If I said "parents who buy their kids McHappy meals are either negligent or brain-dead" that would obviously be offensive to some people. That doesn't mean that my viewpoint is wrong.
I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

quote:
You left out a factor. You have to choose to take offense at the belief of someone, rather than merely, say, consider it unforfunate and worthy of challenge and demonstrative proof that the belief is wrong or hurtful.
Exactly. If Alex believes that homosexuality is inferior, that's his business. What he believes or thinks does not affect you in any way.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 13:12: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.

Pages