Our President

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Our President
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #150
Well, IF Jesus is God, then God is male:

Jesus = Male
Jesus = God
God = Male
(I say IF because it's not generally accepted by non-religious types and non-Christians)

It's also not the "sex" that's important, it's the personification. We call God "Our Father," partly to show his power and guidance. In general, men are larger and have greater physical strength than women, so the imagery is that of a male to show that He is more powerful than us.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #151
Jesus is not God, he is said to be God's son.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:40: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #152
I am not very christian and not very religious at all but equations like
quote:
Jesus = Male
Jesus = God
God = Male
remind me of the middle age argument about how many angels fit on the tip of a pin.

Writing down such equations appears to me as a serious misunderstanding of what God is about - if not blasphemy because God is meant to transcend all categories. Quite simply, there is nothing that equals him/her.

I do admit that there was a time when - during my evening prayer - a picture came to my mind of a friendly old man in a red and white T-shirt and bermudas sitting in the sand and having all the time in the world for me. I mean in each of us. a different picture may come up and it somehow reflects us.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:40: Message edited by: No 2 Methylphenidate ]
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #153
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

A little off topic, since it seems the thread has shifted to talking about gods now, but would the United States ever get a female president in the near future or will it never happen? ...

:P I thought the next election campaign would be with Hillary Rodham Clinton. Non?

God is probably most correct as "it".

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #154
Last I heard was Hilary Clinton for 2012 about two months ago. Alas, it would make sense for her to run for President in 2008, since she's a top favorite for the Democrats.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #155
The Holy Trinity makes Jesus' status as an independent entity ambiguous to me, but that's because I have great conceptual difficulty with the Trinity.

quote:
Genesis 1:27
And God created man in His image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Man is actually "Adam" in Genesis. That means you can't argue that it's actually "human" in Hebrew, but you also can't argue that it's "man" per se. EIther way, "Adam" goes from him "oto" to them "otam" without transition. The argument that Eve isn't in God's image is shaky without recourse to Paradise Lost. Genesis 2:21 says that the first woman came from the first man's rib, but the first man is created in Genesis 2:7 from dust and not specifically in God's image.

—Alorael, who wouldn't draw too much inference out of the pronouns used to refer to God. In Hebrew (and Aramaic, probably) everything needs a gender, and masculine tends to be the default when gender is applicable but unknown.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #156
What a wonderful pot to stir. ;)

As the bible states, Eve was created from a rib taken from Adam. As we all know, technology and medicine was a little "thin" back in the old days. But with a little interpretation, I see that god used stem cells from Adam to create a simulcrim (or clone) with a different gender.

So why the big hububaloo about stem cell research and human cloning? I would think that since its okay in the bible that it would be okay in federally funded laboratories.

*this message sponsored by the real big spoon company*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #157
In response to the heaven thing, I think of heaven as the sinless spiritual dwelling of God and all the angels, where everything is perfect. The Bible even says all the streets are paved with gold and such, but I'm a bit hesitant to take that literally and think of it more of a symbolic phrase.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #158
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

As for the god part, I think a lot of people view God as a "Him" by default, though some religions do view female gods or whatever is their preference of worship. (I remember some female goddess named Shiva, for Hindu or some other religion...I forgot.)
The Final Fantasy series has fooled you; in Hindu mythology, Shiva is actually male (although often depicted fairly androgynously).

Kali is female, though.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #159
Yeah, I forgot about that since a friend of mine has a golden Shiva statue with a lot of arms, 7 or 8 I believe. I typed up the original post when I was taking a break from Final Fantasy 8 and Shiva was the last GF I summoned in a boss battle before I paused the game....lol. Thanks for correcting me Thuryl.

Edit: Since we're on the subject on Gods and all, is Ifrit really a Fire God in some religion or is he another gender and made up? I know that the FF summon Fenrir is supposed to be some wolf that swallows Odin whole at the battle of Ragnarok in Norse mythology, but it doesn't look close to that in FF games...

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 19:12: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #160
An Ifrit is a generic term, like goblin or demon.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #161
That's a useful encyclopedia link. I even typed in Avernum in the search engine and it popped up the actual game "Avernum". Heck, even "Vahnatai" is in the encyclopedia...

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #162
Yes, Wikipedia is glorious. Anything having to do with computers or gaming is covered there in excess. I spent time reading their countless articles when I am (really) bored.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 20:49: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #163
Agreed. I have never looked for non-trivial knowledge and failed to find it there, and rarely for really trivial knowledge (Can you say "All your base"?).

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #164
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

(Can you say "All your base"?).
Well, naturally, this made me curious, so I looked and discovered possibly the single most useless page of trivia I have ever seen.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 22:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #165
I want that five minutes of my life back.

*this message sponsored by wikipedia*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #166
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

(Can you say "All your base"?).
Well, naturally, this made me curious, so I looked and discovered possibly the single most useless page of trivia I have ever seen.

Wow... it appears I didn't read that thoroughly. That, or it's been translated since last time I came there.

The text, disturbingly, makes sense once translated with some semblance of accuracy. But I prefer the original. It has more charm.

quote:

A.D. 2101
The war has begun.

Captain: What was that?!
Chief Engineer: It appears someone has planted bombs on board.
Operator: Captain! We have an incoming transmission!
Captain: What? Who?
Operator: I'll put it on the main screen.
Captain: You! You're...
CATS [with sarcasm]: You seem to be preoccupied, gentlemen.
CATS: With the kind cooperation of the Federation forces, CATS has taken all of your bases..
CATS: Your ship, too, will soon meet its end.
Captain: That's... impossible!
CATS: We thank you for your kind cooperation.
CATS: Make the most of these last moments of your lives.
CATS: Ha ha ha ha ha...
Operator: Captain...
Captain: Give the launch order to all ZIG fighters!
Captain: We can only depend on them now.
Captain: Our hope for the future...
Captain: It's in your hands, ZIG fighters!

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 23:56: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #167
I went to wikipedia once in hopes of gaining some understanding of cricket, but I only became more confused even after reading the article several times.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #168
My parents have owned a cottage on Lake Huron for over 30 years, but about ten years ago they bought a lot more land around it, after the previous owners finally lost faith in their bizarre scheme to build a lucrative trailer park far out in the bush.

Now that the cottage has an internet connection, I want my folks to make a homepage that says, "All your bays are belong to us!"

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #169
quote:
Originally written by ben XIII:

In response to the heaven thing, I think of heaven as the sinless spiritual dwelling of God and all the angels, where everything is perfect. The Bible even says all the streets are paved with gold and such, but I'm a bit hesitant to take that literally and think of it more of a symbolic phrase.
But I thought the Bible was the unadulterated, absolutely true Word of God, Ben! You don't mean... maybe it's a symbolic and allegoric document afterall!?

Zounds!

(Honeymoons in Hawaii are fun, by the by.)
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #170
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

quote:
Originally written by ben XIII:

But I thought the Bible was the unadulterated, absolutely true Word of God, Ben! You don't mean... maybe it's a symbolic and allegoric document afterall!?

Zounds!

(Honeymoons in Hawaii are fun, by the by.)

Oh, Drew, you rascal. It seems you, too, have found the "Great Truth." I just made it up, so now I'll have to ask for my advertising money.

And congrats on Hawaiian honeymoon. I can only guess what that was like...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #171
Incidentally, the Bible doesn't say that the streets are paved with gold. It says the whole darn city is made of gold (Rev 21:21), but the gold seems ethereal. The Greek phrasing is a bit obscure for me, but the translations tend to say that the gold is translucent (i.e. not earthly gold).

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #172
Right. I would just be a, well, "good" material for heaven, probably invisible to mortal eyes, but similar to the way we think of gold.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #173
Wouldn't an invisible city cause problems? I know perfect morality would abound and it wouldn't have to be so embarassing, but fumbling around to try to find the door and falling down the stairs on a regular basis would get old quickly.

—Alorael, who suspects God hires good, dependable contractors to build Heaven. He probably hires them from Hell, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #174
quote:
Originally written by Orison of the Agnostic:

Wouldn't an invisible city cause problems? I know perfect morality would abound and it wouldn't have to be so embarassing, but fumbling around to try to find the door and falling down the stairs on a regular basis would get old quickly.

—Alorael, who suspects God hires good, dependable contractors to build Heaven. He probably hires them from Hell, too.

It would make most sense for both to be built by the same contractors. Sort of like most countries at war are provided with weapons by the same supplier. :P

--------------------

Pages