Our President

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Our President
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #100
Perhaps, but what tangible evidence is there of the existence of God? Surely one can prove that God is at least as real as the earth.

Edit: fix

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 22:44: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #101
Sure you can. There's no proof of either. Thus they are just as real as each other. :P

EDIT: For clarification. If you're seeking to prove the existence of God, there's no point looking for tangibile evidence unless you can first prove that tangibility itself exists - otherwise you're doing nothing different than those who say "Of course God exists - the Bible says so!". Naturally it's not human nature to refuse to believe something until we have absolute proof - but that's not what you were asking. :D

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 23:28: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #102
Ash, at this point, you're clearly just fouling up the conversation, so I don't think there's any point in my answering your arguments.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #103
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Ash, at this point, you're clearly just fouling up the conversation, so I don't think there's any point in my answering your arguments.
Huh?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #104
I think the debate (if you do want to call it that) is spiralling into irrelevant arguments and a quick dialogue of short responses that lead nowhere. God's existence is a matter of philosophy and maybe theology, but neither a matter of politics nor religion (religion just assumes God exists and does not need to back that up).

When arguing for Bush's right/obligation/decision to show his religion, we need to distinguish two things. His policies, and his prayers.

1. Praying in public is a non-political issue. Some people have idiosyncrasies - I need to walk around while making a presentation, for instance.
It is an indication of someone's character (it tells I am nervous about speaking in public). But it does not harm anyone.

However, it is perfectly justified to vote accordingly. You can draw conclusions from his behavior, and use it to judge what kind of leader he would make if elected.

(Personally, I'm ready to go with this. If he wants to pray in public, he's fine, but in my opinion he's showing off his faith, which is a character fault).

2. His Policies, and his official statements.

quote:
From here.

George W. Bush himself has pledged to appoint judges only if they have a personal belief in the theocratic principle that all American government has a divine origin.
(The actual quote by Bush refers to "strict constructionists", which has another meaning, but has been used by Bush to refer to religious conservatives.)

There is a difference between praying (which is his right) and using his political sway to promote his religion. By appointing conservative judges, he does this.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #105
I'm not sure why, and its very surprising, but no one here seems to fully grasp the idea of Separation of Church and State. Although Freedom of Religion is a principle deeply rooted in U.S. History and Culture, it has very little to do with the aforementioned democratic ideal.

When Bush speaks to the people of the United States, he is the representative of that nation's government. As such, he CANNOT endorse a religion, not because it may alienate some of his constituents, but because religion, in its developed form, is naturally undemocratic. By praying while on the job, Bush suggests the U.S. government is one of God's peons. This is not only wrong, but an insult to demcoracy in its entirety. A democratic government serves neither God nor Devil. It is a direct construct of the people and so, only serves the people. The moment religion is directly integrated, to a level of any effect, in a government, the government can no longer, in principle, be called democratic.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #106
Kelandon, there's no need to repeatedly reply to tell us all why you're not replying. If you can't say anything nice...

quote:
Originally written by KernelKnowledge12:

When Bush speaks to the people of the United States, he is the representative of that nation's government. As such, he CANNOT endorse a religion, not because it may alienate some of his constituents, but because religion, in its developed form, is naturally undemocratic. By praying while on the job, Bush suggests the U.S. government is one of God's peons. This is not only wrong, but an insult to demcoracy in its entirety. A democratic government serves neither God nor Devil. It is a direct construct of the people and so, only serves the people. The moment religion is directly integrated, to a level of any effect, in a government, the government can no longer, in principle, be called democratic.
Not that it's a view that I personally endorse, but there are plenty of people who'd say that too much democracy can be just as bad as too little; that it's neither necessary nor desirable for a government to be completely democratic.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 03:09: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #107
That's why we elect parties to govern as they see best, while we have our say only in very important issues.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #108
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Not that it's a view that I personally endorse, but there are plenty of people who'd say that too much democracy can be just as bad as too little; that it's neither necessary nor desirable for a government to be completely democratic.
What do you mean by completely democratic? As in mobrule? Although I would contend that is more of an expansive oligarchy, I can see where this viewpoint comes from. I don't, however, get what this has to do with my post. Please explain.

Actually, now that I think of it, I can't seem to think of any examples of a nation in a state of "complete democracy" (unless you are referring to direct democracy, which is another matter alltogether) that is not in essence an autocracy. Take, for example, the well-known French Revolution. It began as a democratic endeavour, but rapidly turned into an authoritarian fiasco. Is this what you mean by completely democratic, or am I just not understanding?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #109
quote:

What do you mean by completely democratic? As in mobrule? Although I would contend that is more of an expansive oligarchy, I can see where this viewpoint comes from. I don't, however, get what this has to do with my post. Please explain.

Actually, now that I think of it, I can't seem to think of any examples of a nation in a state of "complete democracy" (unless you are referring to direct democracy, which is another matter alltogether) that is not in essence an autocracy. Take, for example, the well-known French Revolution. It began as a democratic endeavour, but rapidly turned into an authoritarian fiasco. Is this what you mean by completely democratic, or am I just not understanding?

Well, it's not what I mean; it's a view that I've commonly seen among Republicans. Essentially, the argument is that the American government is not and never was meant to represent the views of the people -- that elections are simply a way of making sure that bad governments are removed from power, and the fact that they favour governments that promise to do what the people want them to do is merely an unfortunate side effect. These are the kind of people who say "America is a republic, not a democracy, and it's a good thing that's the case". Some basically regard "democracy" and "mob rule" as synonymous.

I'd probably better leave it to someone who actually supports this argument to explain it, because I don't think I'm doing a very good job of it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #110
quote:

Essentially, the argument is that the American government is not and never was meant to represent the views of the people

I would guess that this view has something to do with the specifics of the electoral college. Since that representatives can vote any way they please, in conformance with or in violation of the popular vote, it can be argued that they are more informed of the needs of the union than the common man. Even if the founding fathers intended this, it seems rather archaic.

quote:

that elections are simply a way of making sure that bad governments are removed from power, and the fact that they favour governments that promise to do what the people want them to do is merely an unfortunate side effect

This, I don't get.

quote:

These are the kind of people who say "America is a republic, not a democracy, and it's a good thing that's the case".

Well the first part of this sentence, if I'm not mistaken, would deal with mainly with the amount of participation in the U.S., and furthermore how well informed the common man is. Whether the productivity of the union should be held over the individual is another matter entirely.

quote:

it's a view that I've commonly seen among Republicans.

Really? I don't think I've even heard of this argument before now. You wouldn't happen to know of any places where I could read up on this particular outlook, would you?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #111
1) Why can't a president's religious views shape his policy decisions? Everyone has formed opinions based on their beliefs (religious and not), and each is as valid as the other. This is one reason that there are checks and balances and debates where each side presents their rationale. Most issues will leave one side feeling shafted.

2) Dolphin, I'm also confused by your objections to Bush stating that we're "not fighting Islam, we're fighting evil."

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #112
quote:

Really? I don't think I've even heard of this argument before now. You wouldn't happen to know of any places where I could read up on this particular outlook, would you?
Read a few Republican or libertarian blogs and you'll come across it soon enough.

Actually, just googling the phrase "a republic, not a democracy" produces a fair number of interesting results along the appropriate lines. Some of them seem really weird, but that's kind of the point.

Note that by no means do I claim that such views are predominant among Republicans (they hardly could be, since most people who vote for mainstream political parties haven't thought about the issues deeply enough to encounter such ideas). However, they do represent a significant conservative viewpoint.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 05:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #113
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

2) Dolphin, I'm also confused by your objections to Bush stating that we're "not fighting Islam, we're fighting evil."
It's really a trap statement. The way he says "Evil" (as in "Axis of Evil") is too binary to be of any worth. The Evil he speaks of has a meaning in fantasy settings, but not in reality.

If he said the opposite however, he'd be bummed as much or worse.

Not that that isn't his fault of course. He should just stop using that idiotic E-word. It is currently overused in US politics anyway.

If he spoke neither of Islam nor Evil, but - as would be more accurate - "people perverting and falsifying the Islamic faith to promote their own agenda", people would be less riled up.

But then again, if he said that he might draw too much attention to the question whether he is not doing the exact same thing to the Christian faith. :rolleyes:

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 09:14: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #114
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

It's really a trap statement. The way he says "Evil" (as in "Axis of Evil") is too binary to be of any worth. The Evil he speaks of has a meaning in fantasy settings, but not in reality.
:nods: This is exactly why I object to him using the term "evil" so often. When he calls something "evil" he means "not with God".

Evil does not exist outside of religious ideology or moral objection. Yes, these days it's used in somewhat more general terms, but it stems from religious doctrine. Evil is a myth, and the same kind of people that are thought of as "evil" may very well just be mentally ill.

It is another example of Bush being unable to separate is religious views from his job as president. This seems to be the way America is going, but it goes against the ideals this country was founded on.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 10:19: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #115
I think perhaps what I was saying before was unclear. If he prays during the State of the Union, this is a problem. If he prays beforehand, off-camera or at least on only a few CNN and C-SPAN cameras, then I don't care.

Drakey, with regard to 1: if he can't justify it without religion, then it's useless. (It also probably means that he's not being inventive enough — virtually anything that can be phrased in religious terms can also be phrased in terms of "defending the public health" or "protecting the integrity of national security." If anything, what annoys me is the conscious effort to phrase things in terms of "God" and "moral values" that really don't need to be phrased that way.)

Religious opinions are different from other opinions, because they are inherently without conclusive evidence. Saying, "I think this tax plan will economically benefit more people than that tax plan" is fundamentally different from saying "I think that this law will make this country more obedient to God than that law." The latter can be tested and verified. The former cannot.

I don't mind if a person comes to a conclusion based on religion, but I do mind if that person argues it on the basis of religion.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #116
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

If he said the opposite however, he'd be bummed as much or worse.

Not that that isn't his fault of course. He should just stop using that idiotic E-word. It is currently overused in US politics anyway.

If he spoke neither of Islam nor Evil, but - as would be more accurate - "people perverting and falsifying the Islamic faith to promote their own agenda", people would be less riled up.

But then again, if he said that he might draw too much attention to the question whether he is not doing the exact same thing to the Christian faith. :rolleyes:

So what word would you use to describe people who measure their success by number of women and children they kill?

Bush said exactly what you wanted him to say: "we are not fighting Islam [we have nothing aganst Muslims in general], we are fighting evil ["people perverting and falsifying the Islamic faith to promote their own agenda" and measuring their success in number of civilians they murder]" Which part of that statement do you find objectionable?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #117
No, evil is the wrong word. It implies that they identify themselves as Evil, that they pursue an evil objective. But what these people want is not what makes them wrong. What they do to accomplish it is.

It boils down to it that Evil is depicted as an institution, an Entity. Fighting against Evil conjures an image of someone battling with a dark, sinister figure. This figure does not exist. It is similar to "War on Terrorism" ("War on Terror" is just ridiculous) - "Terrorism" is a strategy. A despicable strategy if we want to get into value judgements, but not an institution. You cannot fight Terrorism - you can only prevent people from using it. Hint: Killing the people that use it won't work.

Okay, maybe you got me. Perhaps "Evil" is not the word I'm objecting against. "Fighting" is.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 12:49: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #118
It was a sound bite, you know. You can't really expect it to distill all the complexities of the issue into a single sentence.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #119
quote:

I think the debate (if you do want to call it that) is spiralling into irrelevant arguments and a quick dialogue of short responses that lead nowhere. God's existence is a matter of philosophy and maybe theology, but neither a matter of politics nor religion (religion just assumes God exists and does not need to back that up).
I agree that it's an irrelevant point. However, it's one that Dolphin brought up as an objection to Bush's actions. Whether or not it's a good argument is beside the point - it's her argument and I was attempting to persuade her to abandon it by exposing the inherent flaws (I could have attempted to demonstrate that it was irrelevant, but I thought it would be easier to attack the logic of the argument itself).

[quote]When arguing for Bush's right/obligation/decision to show his religion, we need to distinguish two things. His policies, and his prayers.

1. Praying in public is a non-political issue. Some people have idiosyncrasies - I need to walk around while making a presentation, for instance.
It is an indication of someone's character (it tells I am nervous about speaking in public). But it does not harm anyone.

However, it is perfectly justified to vote accordingly. You can draw conclusions from his behavior, and use it to judge what kind of leader he would make if elected.
[/quote]This is how I regard prayers during/before speeches.

[quote](Personally, I'm ready to go with this. If he wants to pray in public, he's fine, but in my opinion he's showing off his faith, which is a character fault).[/quote]Agreed. I've never been comfortable with "horizontal prayer" personally. I think he probably means what he says - but he does it publicly to promote the image of a pious, Godly leader and therefore to get the Christian vote. I'd say there's more to object to from a religious viewpoint than a political one.

[quote]2. His Policies, and his official statements.

quote:
From here.

George W. Bush himself has pledged to appoint judges only if they have a personal belief in the theocratic principle that all American government has a divine origin.
(The actual quote by Bush refers to "strict constructionists", which has another meaning, but has been used by Bush to refer to religious conservatives.)

There is a difference between praying (which is his right) and using his political sway to promote his religion. By appointing conservative judges, he does this.
[/quote]I'm suspicious of anything that rephrases someone else's words.

I'm also somewhat confused here. How are judges picked normally? Is it unusual for Presidents to appoint judges that hold similar views to themselves, or are people objecting because the similar views are religious in this case?

PS: Kel, you can't just take a swipe at me and carry on like nothing happened. Could you please either offer some sort of apology or explain why you think I'm fouling up the conversation?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #120
quote:

No, evil is the wrong word. It implies that they identify themselves as Evil, that they pursue an evil objective. But what these people want is not what makes them wrong. What they do to accomplish it is.

It boils down to it that Evil is depicted as an institution, an Entity. Fighting against Evil conjures an image of someone battling with a dark, sinister figure. This figure does not exist. It is similar to "War on Terrorism" ("War on Terror" is just ridiculous) - "Terrorism" is a strategy. A despicable strategy if we want to get into value judgements, but not an institution. You cannot fight Terrorism - you can only prevent people from using it. Hint: Killing the people that use it won't work.

Okay, maybe you got me. Perhaps "Evil" is not the word I'm objecting against. "Fighting" is.

I'd say, however, that terrorism is evil or, if you want, inspired by evil. Apparently all these suicide bombings and such aren't inspired by God.

About this praying in public, and the verse in Matthew, it's not good to pray in public just so you can be noticed by everyone else as "more righteous". That's self-worship. So Bush shouldn't pray, like, during his speech in from of the whole nation, but there's nothing against him praying a little before his speech or in the White House because it's a government building. Though one could argue he has a right to pray even during speeches, but then again, that can get annoying for non-Christians.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #121
Heck, it could easily get annoying for Christians. It would annoy me if I was an American. But I still think he has a right to do so if he so chooses.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #122
I don't care if he says a prayer a few minutes before going up and making a speech while in public, and a few nosey reporters happen to see him and put it on TV. I just find it annoying for him pray at the podium with government seals and American flags for all to see, and constantly mentioning his religious beliefs within the speech it self. This insinuates that the government supports his ideals, as he is their representative.

As I previously said, I don't think it should be illegal, but I feel he is a tool and a hypocrite for doing so.

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #123
quote:
Originally written by Zaiu:

This insinuates that the government supports his ideals, as he is their representative.
Well, for the most part, he is. :cool:

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #124
Isn't he more of a figurehead than a representative?

Or do I not understand what each of these things mean?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet

Pages