Our President

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Our President
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #0
I was just wondering what everybody thought about our current president, George W. Bush. And also, did you support the Invasion of Iraq?

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
1) Many people here, like myself, are not from the US and so Bush is not 'our' president.

2) Oh no, here we go again.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #2
sorry, forgot....

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #3
Lol, nice. Could I get a dollar every time we go into one of our everybody vs. Ben conversations about Bush???
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I'm not much of a fan of Bush, but I support the war. (Here I go again...) I find war an acceptable thing and I feel that we had plenty of reasons to supplant Hussein. Problem is...

Daddy shoulda finished the job to start with.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #5
:P Geeze, reading the titel of the topic I thought it's about Alec ...

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #6
Could've been anyone... IMAGE(http://www.polarisboard.org/board/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I'm not a fan of Bush but I support him and the war. I agree with demonslaeyr - Bush Sr. had the oppurtunity to do the world a great service but, instead, backed off and left what he thought was well enough alone. Nobody's perfect, but somebody has to fix the results.

EDIT: Newfangled auto-images. In my day... *sigh*

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 17:46: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
I try to stay out of Bush discussions, as I tend to find them aggravating. I'll keep this rant short…

My opinion of Bush is likely known. The war in Iraq seems to have more to do with oil than terrorism, and is rooted in a personal vendetta based on Bush's father's problems with Saddam. We went into Iraq more or less guaranteeing weapons of mass destruction, and when none were found he gave a list of excuses.

Bush claimed 9/11 is what triggered "the need to put an end to terrorism", but he has yet to find Usama Bin Laden. Though Saddam did need to be removed from power it in no way makes up for his inability to solve the problem that directly involved the US.

Bush has prayed to God/Jesus (while standing with government seals and American flags) on national television before making speeches; how does this support the Americans who are members of other faiths or are atheist?

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Zaiu:

Bush has prayed to God/Jesus (while standing with government seals and American flags) on national television before making speeches; how does this support the Americans who are members of other faiths or are atheist?
Surely by the same coin you could ask how it was supporting those who are not athiestic/agnostic if he did nothing? :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
Perhaps, but complete lack of prayer (addressing issues of government only) is likely to be less offensive to Catholics than it would be to every other faith/atheists for the president to pray to a single faith's God (Which alienates members of minority faiths/those who don't fallow any God) :P

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 20:14: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #10
Well, Ash, certainly all of us religious types could choose to perceive it as a harmless oversight. :P

Although I felt that immediate action against Al-Qaeda following the 9/11/01 attacks was necessary and fully supported the attack on the Taliban in Afghanistan, I found Bush's reasoning for stretching the fight into Iraq to be contrived and misleading from the beginning. I voted against him in the last elections and am thoroughly opposed to the majority of his policies.

That said, I really don't care to discuss any of this.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 20:20: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
Ah, but if you're playing the Overall Amount of Offense card, surely the number of offended people has to come into play as well? And with Christians being the majority in America... :P

Or you could just say that if it's not public policy, it's no big deal and he can pray to his uncle's left toenail if he feels like it.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
I still don't believe in the slightest that the Iraq War is any part of the so-called "War on Terror" — there weren't any terrorists in Iraq before we went there — and I really can't stand Bush at all or anyone in his immediate inner circle.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Ah, but if you're playing the Overall Amount of Offense card, surely the number of offended people has to come into play as well? And with Christians being the majority in America... :P

Or you could just say that if it's not public policy, it's no big deal and he can pray to his uncle's left toenail if he feels like it.

I see no logic in saying "I am offended that the president didn't pray." when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. If the president kept all religious references out of his speeches he would only be fallowing the constitution :P

--------------------
Nena
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
What Ash said in his first post.

I am not a supporter of Bush, or anyone he has convinced to go to war with. Sure, the capture of Saddam Hussein was good, but there is still no need to still be in Iraq. Let them make their own country and stop playing God, Bush.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Zaiu:

I see no logic in saying "I am offended that the president didn't pray." when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. If the president kept all religious references out of his speeches he would only be fallowing the constitution :P
How do you manage to spell "follow" as "fallow" twice in as many posts? :confused:

There's a clear difference between a president choosing not to pray and a president wanting to pray and not being allowed to. The former is not offensive, the latter certainly could be.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

What Ash said in his first post.

I am not a supporter of Bush, or anyone he has convinced to go to war with. Sure, the capture of Saddam Hussein was good, but there is still no need to still be in Iraq. Let them make their own country and stop playing God, Bush.

Um, there's people being killed every day and the Iraqis are not yet able to maintain law and order on their own. Whether we should have gone in the first place is a seperate issue, but leaving now would be wrong.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

How do you manage to spell "follow" as "fallow" twice in as many posts? :confused:
My mistake, puppy chasing while typing can lead to oversights in spelling; I'll pay more attention from now on.

quote:
There's a clear difference between a president choosing not to pray and a president wanting to pray and not being allowed to. The former is not offensive, the latter certainly could be.
Again, the president praying in government buildings before making a speech can be seen as a violation of separation of church and state. Though changing the constitution is/was considered so as to allow religion in government buildings/schools it can be seen as unconstitutional to do so at the present time.

Such actions are tolerated due to the majority being Catholic/Christian, but would it be acceptable for the president to pray to God/Jesus if 90% of Americans were Buddhist or atheist?

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 21:32: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
It wouldn't be politically savvy, so it probably wouldn't happen (in Australia, atheism is the majority, we have a Christian Prime Minister, but he never prays before speeches or anything like that). But if he wanted to do it anyway, I'd say that would be completely acceptable.

There is seperation of Church and State, but there is also freedom of religion. Forbidding someone from practicing their religion is as bad as forcing them to practise yours. Not allowing the state itself to assume a religion is one thing, not allowing individuals within the government to publicly practise their faith is another entirely. In the same way, I wouldn't support schools forcing students to pray, and I wouldn't support schools forbidding students to pray.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
The president is the top representative of America, thus he is no longer an average individual. I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed pray in public, but that it is a conflict of interest to do so before making statements while speaking for the American government.

As for prayer in public schools, I agree that one should not be forced to pray, nor should they be forbidden to do so.

--------------------
Nena
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
I find it highly amusing when people turn a blind eye to transgressions that they personally find harmless. How christian of you.

*this message supported by the us constitution - the great equalizer*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
In the interest of brevity.

1. Not my president.

2. No.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
I made my position clear when the war started; removing Saddam might have been a good thing under some circumstances, but I didn't trust the US Government not to make an utter mess of it. I think at this point it's fair to say that that distrust was justified.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #23
I totally agree with Michael Moore on the subject of Bush, :D , and would like to add that I think Bush might just have had a war in Iraq to get rid of Saddam Hussein and get more money from oil.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 23:55: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #24
1.) As a person, I think that Bush can pray however he likes. In his official capacity as POTUS, I think he ought to lay off. Christian prayers don't represent everyone's faith, and the U.S. government is a secular institution - let's keep it that way.

2.) No one is preventing anyone from practicing their faith. The matter is whether a particular religious practice has a place in a secular institution designed to incorporate people of all faiths.

3.) Separation of Church and State is infered from the U.S. Constitution, not a part of it. It was discussed at further length in the Federalist Papers, which, though venerated, aren't laws. Before Ben and Ash get their panties in a bunch, though, it must be pointed out that this inference has been affirmed by Supreme Court decisions over the years, including the most recent Ten Commandments monument issue.

4.) I don't support Bush, especially in the case of the Iraq War. I don't think the ends justify the means in this case, and the means here - lies about weapons of mass destruction, war on the cheap, no plan for post war reconstruction - really do stink.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 03:54: Message edited by: Drew ]

Pages