How many hours of sleep do you get per 24 hours, on average?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How many hours of sleep do you get per 24 hours, on average?
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #0
I'm writing this partially because I'm about to get some myself, and also because I'm curious to see if the caffeinated tech-nerd stereotype apples to SW members.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=koHFAzxsiOOg"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=koHFAzxsiOOg"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
Hey, why no 24 option??

(I'm posting in my sleep)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #2
I mostly get 5 or 6 hours of sleep during week days, and 10 during weekends. Though on vacation I get as little as 3 or 4 hours of sleep.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
I said nine, which may or may not be true. It's certainly possible, though, during the pre-work weeks of the glorious summer...

During the school year, of course, it's a different story - I averaged 4 hours at most during the weeks I kept track for health class. My teacher couldn't rememeber having a student with more hours of sleep debt than me. Speaking of sleep, it's 4:10 AM... g'night.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
I voted for three. I don't tend to sleep regularly, and that's just an average of all the sleep I had last week divided by seven. Usually I can go one or two days without sleep, but then have 8 or 9 hours in one go. Recently though, I've been sleeping after school, waking up at sixish and then staying awake.

None of that is caffeine related. It's probably a mental condition, but since it doesn't interfere with my grades, or my health in any (noticeable) way, I haven't seen a doctor. It does have one great side effect though - really vivid, lucid dreams.

An interesting sidenote - Margaret Thatcher used to get just 4 hours a night!

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

It's probably a mental condition,
This is called poor will-power, you let this happen to yourself.
quote:
but since it doesn't interfere with my grades, or my health in any (noticeable) way, I haven't seen a doctor.
It has bad effects in the long run, I suggest you train yourself to a regular sleep pattern.
quote:
It does have one great side effect though - really vivid, lucid dreams.
This could definately be a bad sign.

I'm pretty sure that teens are supposed to sleep 8 hours a day, adults 7 (these numbers might be wrong), so the poll results look pretty good.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 00:30: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, there are documented cases of people who have completely gone without sleep for years and suffered no ill effects. I recall a story about a 63 year-old Ukrainian who hasn't slept in 20 years.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Mind you, most such people have pre-existing, identifiable brain abnormalities.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
Point. But that's not to say that SupaNik doesn't! :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
I keep a 28-hour day when I'm not doing anything noteworthy, so how many hours of sleep I get in any given 24 hours varies heavily.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
I sleep about 9 hours (on a good week-day), 7 on a bad week-day, and 11 on a good weekend, random otherwise…

– Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #11
I have a fabulous job which lets me sleep until 8.30 every day! Unfortunately though, I still have to work weekends. (The joys of running a betting shop)

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
I get around six or seven a night, with a couple hours tucked into afternoon naps.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #13
It seems that the poll results end up between 6-8 hours, which is about right. I get around seven hours of sleep on a good night. If I don't feel sleepy, around 4-5 hours.

I wonder what's the world record for a person to stay awake...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #14
It varies some weeks I get about 10hrs others I get about 4hrs so I just voted 7hrs

--------------------
Who I am makes no difference but it is what I say and do that counts (mabey???)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
I typically get around 7 hours, but sometimes less, depending on whether I have anything better to do than sleep.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Other than people with 'total insomnia,' the longest time awake I found was 260 hours.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #17
Wow! That's almost like what...260/24 = about 10.83 days or roughly 11 days.

So this is just a normal person, right? This person didn't take any medications of excesive caffine to stay awake?

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #18
I suspect they would have. I wouldn't think that would bias the results too much (although I'm not the biologist round here) as I can't imagine that even a near lethal dose of caffeine would help you so much after a week without sleep.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Since it was an official world record attempt, I'm not entirely sure he would have been allowed caffeine, and certainly not anything stronger. There's an encyclopaedia at my university's biomedical library that gave a great rundown of the record attempt, including details of the various methods he used to stay awake, but I won't have access to it until I go back to uni in a couple of weeks. If anyone else happens to have a copy of the Encyclopedia of Sleep and Dreaming, take a look at the entry on sleep deprivation for me.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 04:22: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
I get about seven hours of sleep on average during week nights, always intending to get to bed earlier. In order to feel rested, I generally need about eight-and-a-half. Whether I feel rested though seems to have little effect on how I function, with the exception of my running performance.
Apprentice
Member # 5997
Profile #21
I get about 7, but always feel tired. It takes extended physical effort to force myself out of my bed.

--------------------
Ancient Slavornan Proverb:
It is the agile cat which farts in the fish tank...
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
I sleep about seven or eight hours on a typical day. I'll wake up (without an alarm) at 7:00 AM no matter how much or little sleep I've had. Last night I went to bed a 2:00 AM, so I got five hours.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #23
Well the problem is staying awake for too long will eventually kill you...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #24
I generally get anywhere from five to seven hours of sleep on weeknights, depending on when I have to wake up for school or whatever. On weekends, I can usually manage nine or ten hours. More than ten hours of sleep gives me a woozy feeling that usually lasts the entire day. Just can't manage to shake it off. Less than five hours of sleep turns me into a bit of a goof for a while, and later a quiet, sullen chap waiting for a chance to sleep more.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.

Pages