How many hours of sleep do you get per 24 hours, on average?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How many hours of sleep do you get per 24 hours, on average?
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #50
Normally I sleep for about 8 hours. On vacation though I sleep for 10 to 13 hours per day.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #51
A lot of military leadership training is based on sleep deprivation. They don't poke you with sticks or anything, just keep you moving with missions or simulated attacks or whatever, with no more than a couple of hours sleep a night. The theory is not that this is realistic -- though of course if things go wrong anything could happen in combat -- but that it is the best way to simulate the stress of combat without actually injuring people.

You definitely become accident prone, and illness prone, but for up to about 5 days the body can take it not too badly (at least if you're young). (I'm not just talking about staying awake, but about pretty steady physical exertion for most hours of the 24.) After up to 5 days, you can get one good night's sleep and be back in business. More than 5 days, though, and it seems to take longer to recover. After about a week, if this kind of stuff goes on, everyone finds themselves with the same bad cold, that takes weeks to go away even after you get home.

The weirdest effects are mental. You get stupid, of course. Eventually you even lose orientation, and can walk past a tree, notice it moving relative to you, and feel that it is really moving. That's the closest I've come to hallucination, but others have reported that and more. I have been told that I once stood on top of a vehicle in the middle of the night, shouting radio call signs at the top of my lungs; but I didn't remember that at all.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages