Favorite Movie

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite Movie
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Too little, two late:

The Usual Suspects and Adaptation.
Blah, Adaptation, I hated that movie. I mean a movie about a guy writing a movie about a guy writing a movie about a guy writing a movie.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by The Holiest of Toenails:

Lord of them Rings.
Nice way to spell it. I liked "Da Lord of 'em Rings" as well. :P

Apart from that, I don't see terribly many movies. Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was nice. I never saw the new Star Wars movie, but I intend to. Lost in Translation was also one of the extremely few movies I watched and liked.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #27
Spider. I would post a link to an article on Wikipedia here, but, apparently, it isn't permitted.

quote:
Originally written by Wikipedia:

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

Spider is an exploration of the mind of a schizophrenic and the story is told through the eyes of a son whose father murdered his mother and replaced her with a prostitute. Gradually, it is revealed that memory and reality can be pliable, unstable concepts and that events might not have unfolded as first appeared.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 00:17: Message edited by: Deplorable ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

Blah, Adaptation, I hated that movie. I mean a movie about a guy writing a movie about a guy writing a movie about a guy writing a movie.
Adaptation is actually very clever. It's much easier to understand if you've read Robert Mckee's book, though.

That said, I don't like it.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #29
Blazing Saddles, surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Trainspotting and Requiem For A Dream are very interesting.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #30
I will go with American Beauty still standing as my favourite movie, followed closely by Copenhagen. The 39 Steps and Citizen Kane are also up there pretty high.
Apprentice
Member # 6018
Profile #31
Shaun of the Dead, at the moment, it is just hilarious mixed with zombies... What more could you want? Nothin'...

Interview with the Vampire was pretty good, and rolls in at second just for the one scene where tom cruise dances with the dead woman...

LOTR was damn good too... Films are good.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
I didn't know that Copenhagen was made into a movie! It's one of my favorite plays. Now I'm going to have to find it and learn whether it was botched or not.

—Alorael, who actually likes Adaptation at least as much for the arguments that ensued after the movie ended than for the movie itself. Catching all the hidden self-references is much tricker than it first appears.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Lord Breakfast:

Shaun of the Dead, at the moment, it is just hilarious mixed with zombies... What more could you want? Nothin'...
Of course... how could I have forgotten that? A British zombie comedy... how often do you see those?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

The Matrix. Hands down. The first one is good alone, but when put together as a complete trilogy, all three are great.
Naaaaaa. The first one is pretty damn good, I'll admit that, but after that it just turns to rubbish. It seems to me that they were hastily put together and not much effort was put in. The second two had little moments in them but just didn't seem all that great.

I couldn't agree more. I loved Matrix part I, but i didn't like the other two as much. I loved
Resident Evil I, though I didn't like part II (it had too many corny lines, and that brunett girl looked like a tomb raider wanna be or something).

My favs are:

The Incredibles
Matrix I
Final Destination I
Resident Evil I
The Ring
The X-men (both movies, though I'm still waiting for Gambit to show up)
Brave Heart
Six Sense

and a couple of more that I can't remember right now.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 23:21: Message edited by: Ms Marlenny ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #35
I found a true trove of cheap chop sockey kung fu movies. Walgreens is now selling Wu Tang Clan films 3 for $10.00. I found one of the first martial arts films that I really liked Snake Fist Under Eagle Shadows one of Jackie Chan's first films cheap. Yay :D .

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #36
how can u all not like Rush Hour 1+2 and bourne identity/supremecy?

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #37
I have a bipolar taste in movies. Movies that are trying to be great and, in my view, fail even slightly, become despised. Movies that make no pretenses are indulged. Thus I like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. You've got to respect a guy who doesn't remotely pretend to be an actor.

I also don't see many movies.

I was tremendously impressed by Ran. It was more King Lear than King Lear. I liked Amadeus.

American Beauty was okay. The Usual Suspects was sort of wasted on me, because I had once run a D&D sequence with such a similar set-up that I had Kaiser Soze pegged within the first half hour.

Lost in Translation was very good; which is to say that Bill Murray was great. I missed where he went from quick-talking ham into serious actor, but somewhere he did.

I generally like CGI movies. The Incredibles was very good.

Spiderman 2 was good.

I usually avoid serious movies, unless my wife hauls me to one. If I start feeling like a book is coming on too strong, I can put it down, but I don't want to feel trapped in a theater by a film that is trying to disturb me.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #38
**THIS JUST IN**

The DOOM movie is apparently not going to suck.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
That's what they always claim.

—Alorael, who is interested in seeing what happens to the Lions of Al-Rassan movie. (He's also interested in knowing why anyone would basically pay for the rights to use El Cid, but that's not entirely relevant.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #40
Dead poets society (bet you can guess that from my sig)

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #41
Twelve Angry Men

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #42
I recently saw American Beauty at an open-air. It's only ... beautiful.
But my favourite director is David Lynch, I love all of his movies.

Also I like The Singing Detective - the BBC television version from 1986. It was written by Dennis Potter, mise en scene: Jon Amiel. Now Keith Gordon made a big cinema movie but I doubt that an American copy can be as brilliant as the English original. Maybe I'll go and see it nevertheless.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #43
Ravenous, The Butterfly Effect [Brought me to tears], unbreakable, and Photographing Faeries

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #44
I've allready posted but I would have to say, Donnie Darko is one of my favorites.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Apprentice
Member # 6145
Profile Homepage #45
Three-way tie: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly; Seventh Seal; or Trainspotting

--------------------
Ultima 7 - Not just for fun, it's for life!

Etre Dragon, member of the Ultima Dragons
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #46
A TON of movies.

--------------------
I AM A MINOTAUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM INVADING THE SHAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL SHALL FALL TO MY WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #47
Oh yeah, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the Lost Skeleton of Kadabra.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

**THIS JUST IN**

The DOOM movie is apparently not going to suck.

Well, it even if it's better than Doom 3 it's got a long way to go before it gets out of the "terrible" category. I really hated Doom 3 and no-one else I knew did, but a while back I found someone else who did. - Doom 3 Review My favourtie line is "When I played Doom 3 for the first time, I pondered to myself, "Yeah, this game is alright, but it would be a lot better if it had four colors, three graphics, two players, one ball, and no point."

It's so true.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #49
Ahh... I can't say I agree with you. I loved Doom 3. I'm still playing multiplayer to this day. The single player portion was admittedly better than I thought it would be, pre-release. But I do see how people can take it as a "you either love it or you hate it" kinda game.

And I'm sure I'll be disappointed to a certain degree by the Doom movie, but I still feel it'll be worth my $8.50 ticket price.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00

Pages