Elections?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elections?
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #175
quote:
I hope you'll agree that prevention is better than punishment, thus it is best to prevent verbal attacks from happening in the first place, rather than using the current method of waiting for an attack to happen and then banning the attacker.
;) Zeviz, I adore you. Introducing G.W.Bush's policies into everyone's everyday life, now isn't that a great idea?

--------------------
Polaris
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #176
OOC: I am glad you liked it, but please don't turn this into a discussion of RL politics. "EVOL Zeviz" is a generic dystopian dictator and is not intended to single out any particular RL politician. (However, politicians in general are fair game. :) ) I am putting in as much communist rhetoric as right-wing rhetoric into his posts.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #177
Is it really necessary to expend so much effort in being bland? For certain members, unfavourably comparing Bush to dictators is entirely par for the course and not even Ben is still likely to get terribly offended. That's not to say that I particularly want this to disintegrate into Recriminations 101, but doesn't it seem somewhat hypocritical to try to start arguments over feuds everyone assumed had long ago died the death yet to have a pathological phobia of controversy at ever other turn?

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #178
quote:
Originally written by Unpleasantness for its Own Sake:

Be nice, Sara. Kel's never really got over being jilted by his mouse. Allow the man to maintain his illusions.
It is a disturbing direction this thread has taken. :eek: I certainly did not intend that...

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 00:05: Message edited by: Vote Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #179
I prefer Zivez LOVE to EVOL Zeviz.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #180
quote:
Originally written by Unpleasantness for its Own Sake:

Is it really necessary to expend so much effort in being bland? For certain members, unfavourably comparing Bush to dictators is entirely par for the course and not even Ben is still likely to get terribly offended. That's not to say that I particularly want this to disintegrate into Recriminations 101, but doesn't it seem somewhat hypocritical to try to start arguments over feuds everyone assumed had long ago died the death yet to have a pathological phobia of controversy at ever other turn?
The events:

1. Alec keeps telling everybody about the great job he did as a moderator 3 years ago.

2. I remind people of what Alec actually did as a moderator. What could be more relevant than solid evidence about candidate's past performance on the job?

3. Nobody disputes that Alec did any of the things that I reported.

So why am I now called the guy who "brings up old dirt" and a hypocrite? Why is it ok for Alec to talk about what was going on 3 years ago, but not ok for me to do the same thing?

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 05:57: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #181
Let's try to keep this to the Electioneering thread, guys.

If Alec brings up his past moderatorship to use as a pro for him, then Zeviz has every right to disagree. Alec is the one who went there first.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #182
As a humorous sidenote, the Onion is running a story on a female dolphin as president. Only very marginally relevant, but still funny. :D

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #183
My supporters have some good points :P

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #184
quote:
Originally written by Salmon Sushi:

**** **** News Flash **** ****

Dolphin has been spotted frolicing around various male members of the forum body. This reporter suspects that she has been mesmerizing them with her nuanced charm in an effort to reel in more votes in the upcoming elections.

You know, if I was still the green-behind-the-ears teenager I once was, such a tack would be quite likely to succeed in its object. As it is, I'm old enough and just wise enough to be rather invulnerable to such tactics. Dolphin, I believe, is just aware of that as I am. On all sides, it's nothing more than a bit of light-hearted banter. Certainly she has charm, and certainly I am aware of and appreciate it, but I doubt there is any attempted manipulation in the works here.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 15:21: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #185
I concur with Stug. What manipulation? :P

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #186
My candidacy is being debated on the same level as the men. I have no need to try to win favors or votes by questionable means, and hope that my fellow forum members are aware of that. I am honest and forthcoming with my intents as moderator, and am very capable of earning votes for being adequate for the job.

How could I expect to be respected by the male members if I employed such tactics? I am saddened that that was misunderstood, but as I explain (and Ben confirmed) that it was not meant to go that way. Such a thing would have come up regardless of the elections, and had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Please consider my daily interactions as an accurate judge of character rather than a single incident.

Edit: sp

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 19:49: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #187
Someone just needs to come up any simply say they will do their best to strictly enforce the CoC while not strictly truncating our posting rights. We want the right to free speech on these forums, but we need to cut down on needless insults and dirty material.

We should be kind to all new members, gently ushering them into the systems and giving them a chance to move easily through their n00b stage. Oldbies and more respected members should be given proper recognition of their accomplishments.

We really need someone who will be able to promise realistic improvements on the moderational job, if improvements are desired, and someone who actually reads and posts on these forums enough to actually be there when they happen to be needed.

Basically, whoever is elected moderator needs to have a good plan to make these boards an easier, more relaxing, and "safer" environment in which to interact with all members of the Spiderweb community.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 17:27: Message edited by: ben III ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #188
Many people (including me) have said (some of) that. Please see this thread.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 17:37: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #189
I'm going to be honest: I'm not going to give you strict enforcement, because unlike you and all of the others calling for it, I was active in a day and age when strict enforcement was the order of the day, and I was at the business end of it. And let me tell you: it's not so fun when people are throwing around banning you for something that sounds like a swear.

I've made my promises, and I maintain that I've been the most consistently community- and responsibility-oriented candidate in the election, but that's irrelevant. All this post is here to say is that I'm against strict enforcement, and I'm neither going to endorse it nor endorse any candidate who does.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #190
Yes, you are right there. Just because someone messed up a little doesn't mean they should immediately be banned, but if someone does something obviously unacceptible, or repeatedly does something on the verge of unacceptible and fails to heed to warnings, canning and/or banning needs to happen instead of continually letting it slip.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #191
quote:
Basically, whoever is elected moderator needs to have a good plan to make these boards an easier, more relaxing, and "safer" environment in which to interact with all members of the Spiderweb community.
Aren't they 'nice and safe' enough by now? All dishes need a bit of spice or they are dull and boring.

--------------------
Polaris
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #192
Well, that sort of thing is the administrator's purview anyway. Moderators can't do stuff like changing titles or bannings; they can only warn off offenses and help direct the community.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #193
Yes, it is rather hard to have any real programme, because as a moderator you have responsibility rather than authority. After all, it's not like the boards are goatsed weekly, nor is there an egregious degree of belittlement (and TM will stop doing that when he's dead) so there's only so much safety a moderator can enforce. And when you consider that the current moderatorial team is competent enough, what you are seeing is in the main a popularity contest. I don't want to disparage Alec's attempts to promote leniency but he'd merely change the volume and speed of locking rather than the occurence and with any of the other candidates it would be more or less business as usual.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #194
I disagree. I believe TM will find a way to continue, despite death.

[ Thursday, June 23, 2005 06:43: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #195
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

Someone just needs to come up any simply say they will do their best to strictly enforce the CoC while not strictly truncating our posting rights. We want the right to free speech on these forums, but we need to cut down on needless insults and dirty material.

We should be kind to all new members, gently ushering them into the systems and giving them a chance to move easily through their n00b stage. Oldbies and more respected members should be given proper recognition of their accomplishments.

We really need someone who will be able to promise realistic improvements on the moderational job, if improvements are desired, and someone who actually reads and posts on these forums enough to actually be there when they happen to be needed.

tldr

quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I disagree. I believe TM will find a way to continue, despite death.
stfu bundle of stix

Zeviz-

Both your complaints and your administrative actions in question show that you did not and still do not understand the context. If someone says some c-razy and zany stuff at a comedy club, it doesn't preclude such an individual from acting responsibly in any other setting. Likewise, the antics that went on at Misc. were just that- antics. I don't think any candidate has misread this context, anyway.

(It could be argued that I don't read this context properly, but that's flat-out untrue. I read this context perfectly well, I just don't care. :P )

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #196
TM makes the CoC cry once again.

—Alorael, who wishes he would just sthu. Oh well. Maybe when he's dead?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages