Elections?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elections?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #150
I hope the added funds from your sponsors is enough to buy the food it takes for you to type your posts. ;) Never mind. :/

Actually, what went over my head was the meaning of "bestiality," so I'm sorry for all the commotion this caused, Dolphin.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #151
It's okay Ben, you're a nice kid :)

Salmon - In the future it would be kind to allow me to explain myself and what is happening before posting a "flash".

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 14:58: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #152
What got to me was the comment you made to Stug, and by extension Wise Man. I am too old and cynical, obviously, as I don't suspect people of being as nice as you seem to be. So, from this day forward I resolve to expose to you my musings prior to showing them to the general public.

I still think it was a good story, in as much as it was totally unbelievable and ludi(cris) to boot.

*this message funded by soylent green and ADM, partners in ending the hunger problem*
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #153
The comments to Stugie and Wise Man were actually completely neutral, though I did leave room for them to be perceived as one chooses to. I only made a slightly suggestive comment to one person, and that was where I thought it would end.

If encouraged I will be playful with people on that level, but for the sake of my reputation I will be a bit more mindful of that. That, and I will get Ben a dictionary for his birthday.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 15:23: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #154
Judging from your karma, I would suggest that your reputation is above reproach and wouldn't suffer in the least. It certainly does serve to liven up the board, especially since it is kept at a muted level. But I've overheard that mindless chit-chat like this is square in the cross hairs of a certain someone, so perhaps it is best to leave it lie for a bit.

*this message has been rated general audiences by the mpaa*
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #155
Wait, what's the problem? Just post a follow-up story on how the candidate in question denies all wrong-doing and insists there is a perfectly innocent explanation for her actions. The media never apologises. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #156
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

The comments to Stugie and Wise Man were actually completely neutral, though I did leave room for them to be perceived as one chooses to. I only made a slightly suggestive comment to one person, and that was where I thought it would end.

If encouraged I will be playful with people on that level, but for the sake of my reputation I will be a bit more mindful of that. That, and I will get Ben a dictionary for his birthday.

A dictionary with the dirty words left in? :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #157
A slang dictionary perhaps?

My dictionary has dirty words.

--------------------
Nena
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #158
I think Aran is referring to EVOL plan to make these boards a safe and family-friendly environment by removing all offensive words. To be more precise: "We will abolish the practice of locking topics, which is one of the greatest offences against our god-given right of free speech. Instead, we will introduce newly modified auto-censor, which will prevent members from posting anything that could be deemed offensive by any other member."

Thus, if I am elected moderator, all dirty words would be completely gone from these boards and can be safely removed from all dictionaries.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #159
You cannot condone free speech and abolish offensive words.

Evol's oppressive censoring is scary.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 18:25: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #160
OOC: What was the name of the book (or was it a short story?) about a society in which they started removing offensive words from dictionary until there was nothing left?

IC: I think you misunderstood our suggestion. We will not impose censorship on dictionary writers. That would definitely be an offense against the constitutional principles of free speech. What we will do, is create a free and friendly environment, in which every member would feel welcomed. The good citizens who respect each other have no need for offensive language, so offensive words would never be used.

If a person visciously attacks others by using language as a weapon, our duty is to protect the victims from such an attack. I hope you'll agree that prevention is better than punishment, thus it is best to prevent verbal attacks from happening in the first place, rather than using the current method of waiting for an attack to happen and then banning the attacker.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 18:43: Message edited by: EVOL Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #161
What words or pictures will be next? Conceivably Evol could end up erasing the little bit of sanity we cling to, and soon we will be no more than mindless zombies unable to offend each other.

Then what will happen? Politeness and aversion will run rampant through the streets. Fear of punishment will fill the forum, as the poor oldbies remain helpless against the waves of newbies.

Poor TM, you will erase a tenth of his vocabulary.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 19:01: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #162
Zeviz: IIRC, 1984 did something like that, with that Newspeak thing.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #163
A typical big government solution from EVOL. What we really need is to cut the pointless red-tape that keeps the victims of offensive language from defending themselves. Here at Scorched Earth headqquarters, we say this: you'll get my dirty words when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

Speaking of hands, we also promise to cut TM's hands off and make him type with his nose.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 20:01: Message edited by: Scorched Earth Sarachim ]
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #164
Can't he still type with stubs?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #165
Some people can type with their feet.

--------------------
Nena
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #166
Some people can type with their manhood.

:eek:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #167
quote:
Originally written by Sarachim:

Speaking of hands, we also promise to cut TM's hands off and make him type with his nose.
Oh, my. I was planning to vote EVOL, but I think I may have just been won over.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #168
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

I am doing so as we speak, courting the female vote. :cool:

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 20:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #169
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

I am doing so as we speak, courting the female vote. :cool:

You got me to vote.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #170
And now we're back to the original question of what you get when you misread Election, aren't we?

—Alorael, who would like to remind everyone that, as Alec has pointed out, Spiderweb already has a meaty CoC. And moderators have been known to slap people with it. Irony? Could be.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #171
Then perhaps I should point out that I am the candidate best equipped to slap people with the CoC. More than one person who has posted on here can attest to that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #172
CoC aside, I continue to let my fingers do the walking on the keyboard. Proclivities aside, Kel should do anything he likes in his own private space.

I would like to congratulate the manipulator of these elections on the 5 topics and 365 messages that have been (more or less) devoted to this subject.

*this message joins many other abused and maligned footers in the dustbin of general*
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #173
Kel is clearly compensating for something.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 21:07: Message edited by: Scorched Earth Sarachim ]
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #174
Be nice, Sara. Kel's never really got over being jilted by his mouse. Allow the man to maintain his illusions.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality

Pages