Elections?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elections?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #25
Well, young Drakey would hardly accept it, if someone who spammed, themself, was heavily unpopular or was next to inactive was elected. So that's me out, even if I did get more than one point. :P Even then, if a "suitable" candidate was elected, he still might not wish to displace the existing moderational team.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Amitiel:

Well, young Drakey would hardly accept it, if someone who spammed, themself, was heavily unpopular or was next to inactive was elected. So that's me out, even if I did get more than one point. :P Even then, if a "suitable" candidate was elected, he still might not wish to displace the existing moderational team.
We have no constitution, no existing democracy (three mostly irregular elections in the past years are no solid system), and we don't really need it (absolutist regime with oligarchy and backroom cabals are more apt to this place anyway, no?). Shortly, we are as ready for democracy as Iraq. A mock election out of the blue would be that: A mock election.

It'd be fun though...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #27
Well, Alec sounds like he knows what he's doing and I need some more laughs. Tell you what, someone organise the hunting party for Alcritas, I'll arrange the victory party and Alec can set up and rig the voting. :P

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #28
In the words of the greatest political general in the history of the United States, or perhaps any nation, William Tecumseh Sherman:

"If nominated I will not run; if elected I will not serve."

I don't consider myself a good candidate on any grounds anyway, but I've always wanted to quote that line, and this might be the best chance I'll ever get.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #29
Why don't we just ask Mariann instead?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
That hunting party may not need to stray far from home. I spied Alcritas on these very boards yesterday. If I recall correctly, he was reading the "Bahs Rated" rant and re-rant.

I fully support Drakey's position on the hypothetical election results. Unless there is some way to conduct the poll without showing the results to the unwashed masses, it wouldn't feel like a real election. Plus, I've not yet heard a current moderator ask for a break.

Not so sure about how the current popularity of a game is used to determine the quality of board moderation. It's likely that Exile 1 ranks equal with RWG, but I would be the last person to say it is unpopular.

*These and other unwritten observations courtesy of not enough coffee yet*
:P
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #31
I'd personally say that E1 was more popular than all of the RWGs put together...

Unfortunately, however it is done, someone will have to know who all the voters are and how they've voted. You can't have it as a poll or even really as a secret ballot, because there would be accusations of rigging and suchlike. It's just alot easier to have it out in the open.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
Having utterly destroyed a pot of coffee, I see that I wasn't clear earlier. What I meant was that discussion on Exile 1 and RWG seem about equal right now. Of course the RWG discussions tend to be on anything but, and Exile 1 topics remain centered on Exile 1. And I agree with you on the popularity of the games themselves, since I had't even heard of RWG until this board.

I happen to be a firm believer in secret ballots. Implicit is the trust we hold in the ballot counters, which I assume would be current mods. This would also eliminate the chance that someone unfit for the job would get elected. An open balloting system seems too close to a popularity contest, which feels wrong somehow.

*this message brought to you courtesy of too much coffee*
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #33
Ummm.. you trust the MODS to count the votes?! The point of an open and democratic vote is that whether they're suitable or not, if they get the most votes, they win. Of course, if they're judged unsuitable by Drakey, there's no chance that one of the mods would be displaced.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
As long as the mod(s) up for replacement aren't the ones counting, it probably doesn't matter. Then again, favoritism could happen. Unless you suspect all the mods of conspiracy, though, it's probably fine. As has been pointed out, Drakey has divine right anyway. He might as well count votes too.

—Alorael, who prefers open election. Then there's obviously no fraud, although there can be intimidation. PMs to vote counters would also work, though discrepancies could really make another chad nightmare.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #35
I read the name of this topic wrong first. Replace the second 'e' with an 'r' and you will see...

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #36
If this ever happened, I might put my name down, just to prove to myslef that nobody likes me :( :( :( .

Anyway, Eagle, what does Elrections mean? I miht understand if you were talking about replacing the l for an r, but not the second e.

- Archmagi Micael

P.S. Alo, do you have something against keeping the same name for more than a day or two?

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #37
Never mind about it... IMAGE(http://67.177.181.192/ikonboard/emoticons/doh.gif)

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #38
I vote for not having Mods of any kind. The people will rule themselves thank you.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #39
Then people like EraserHead, Hawk King2 and others of their kind would spam this forum to unrecognizeability. :P

EDIT: Corrected most errors.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 12:34: Message edited by: Eagle, the author soul ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #40
Well of course people like that will be flamed until death by the community police force.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 12:43: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #41
I can only imagine the joy that comes with being a mod. Oh the power. Oh yeah. Honestly, how soon would you get sick of locking topics? or editing posts? what if you were over-eager and got reported yourself?

There are many freedoms that come without the burden of power, I'll enjoy them and shirk the responsibility side of things.

*this message brought to you by the rainy afternoon committee*
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #42
You do not understand the glory that is the Mod Board, few of us ever will...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #43
The proportion of male mods to female mods is unbalanced: in the ratio of 10 to 1. It should be 10 to 2 - to represent Spiderweb Boards properly. Thus we should elect a new female mod.
:P Sorry, Alec and MM, for bursting your bubble.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #44
As that proposal eliminates me, I am 100% in favor of moderators becoming more female.

*this message brought to you by the ESL funding agency*
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #45
Female mod sounds good, but that narrows the eligible candidates significantly :P

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #46
Aww.. I love a woman in power. :)

Nice nick, Alo.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

The proportion of male mods to female mods is unbalanced: in the ratio of 10 to 1. It should be 10 to 2 - to represent Spiderweb Boards properly. Thus we should elect a new female mod.
:P Sorry, Alec and MM, for bursting your bubble.

Quotas? How savage. I thought we were meritocrats here. :P

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

Female mod sounds good, but that narrows the eligible candidates significantly :P
It def does, What about you? You would be a great mod. who goes for dolphin as our new mod?
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #49
I refuse. My rise to power is inevitable, pathetic weaklings.

Pages