Music Preference

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Music Preference
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Do you guys actually buy music?
Yeah, I like having the real CD. I've been getting a lot of CDs in the past while, too. Between November and now, I've gotten 15 CDs. Some of them I received as gifts, but I probably bought about 10 of them. The reason I was able to get so many is that, because they're older albums, they only cost about $7.99 - $10.99.

--------------------
Chance Forums

I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #51
I'd like to purchase my favorite albums, but as I have no job and no independent income it isn't awfully feasible to spend large sums of money for things I can procure for free.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #52
Some great CD's are cheap, Stug. I recently purchased a Guns 'n' Roses album for a measly $10. Great value.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #53
Great value? I don't think I'd pay ten cents for a GN'R album. :P

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #54
It just isn't worth the price to buy CDs. On the rare occasion I actually buy one its usually a Canadian band. You have to Rep for your people. But the fact remains why should I give my money up to a major record label? People should be paying me money I shouldn't be paying them!
I do get CDs at Christmas and so on. Lately I've been downloading entire albums making covers to fit the jewel case and track listings then CD label. What's the difference from that to buying the real thing?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by This Glass Is Half Stugie:

Great value? I don't think I'd pay ten cents for a GN'R album. :P
I'd feel insulted, but its one persons opinion across the other side of the world.

And VCH, the difference is that you keep the money you used to buy the CD with. Its a good idea, but I can't be stuffed waiting for the songs to download.

[ Sunday, May 08, 2005 00:56: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Lately I've been downloading entire albums making covers to fit the jewel case and track listings then CD label. What's the difference from that to buying the real thing?
Umm... it's illegal and considered stealing. People have already been prosecuted for it. It's a viscious cycle. More people download(steal) music and the record companies(who I'll agree probably make way too much money for what they do) start to lose money. The more they lose, the more they have to raise prices for the people who do buy and the more people decide it's not worth it and just download it instead.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #57
I still don't see what's so wrong about that.

Provide me with a severe implication.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Kirk Johnson:

I still don't see what's so wrong about that.

Provide me with a severe implication.

Warrant not clearly tied to impact. HUFF VOTE NEG

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #59
I was trying to avoid that, but...

Anyway! It has Topicality.

Dammit! >_<

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #60
The obvious impact would be that with reduced sales, record companies would be unwilling to take a financial risk on anything that is different. Thus more Britney/Beyonce clones.

Speaking of record companies, I have to say I'm actually quite impressed with the way Sony/BMG conduct themselves. They're able to spot and seize opportunities quite quickly and they're willing to take a few chances.

[ Sunday, May 08, 2005 18:35: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #61
But Creator, even if they stick with only those artists and don't "take risks" (and honestly, a whole argument could be made on how there shouldn't even BE a risk factor, but neither here nor there...), downloading music will still slaughter the music companies, especially if they aren't seeking out new audiences. The music industry is a dying dinosaur no matter how you look at it- and with multi-millionaires gone, what you will have left is people being raised to fame by how the people feel rather than image. Furthermore, if downloading continues, musicians who are currently popular will be forced to make money the way all musicians should- concerts, perhaps the ultimate gain in pirating MP3s.

Now don't get me wrong- image will still be a problem if the majority determine popularity. Nevertheless, image selected by the people en masse is more ethically responsible than image selected by shrivled, corpulent fatcats.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

The obvious impact would be that with reduced sales, record companies would be unwilling to take a financial risk on anything that is different. Thus more Britney/Beyonce clones.
They are not really the most prominent music figures at the moment anyway. Yes, 2 years ago, but not as much now.

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #63
I voted 'Other' and 'Alternative'. The 'Other' vote was for Indie/Britpop. The 'Alternative' was for a group called Massiive Attack.

A list of my favourite artists are (in descending order...);

Radiohead
The Smiths
Blur
The Jam
Morrisey
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Massive Attack
The Cure
The Clash
The Who

There are countless others, but definately no emo, and no Green Day. The whole "pop-punk" thing confuses and irritates me. As does Billy Joel Armstrong (if that is his name...)

But really, I only ever listen to the top 3 on the list, and I'd say I devote 85% of my music listening time to Radiohead. They make some beautiful music, and have a way with lyrics that amazes me after years of loving them.

I love to buy CD's and Vinyls though! I prefer to hold the disk in my hands, rather than have some music file that could be corrupted. Plus it looks nicer than a string of 0s and 1s.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #64
I'm a tape man myself. You'd be surprised at the number of albums that have material exclusively on tape i.e. unreleased on cd or even unacknowledged (sp?) in some cases (grammar?).

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

quote:

They are not really the most prominent music figures at the moment anyway. Yes, 2 years ago, but not as much now.

Just pick whatever bling bling yea yea rapper is the current hot stuff of the month, then.

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #66
Hey, I'll stick up for Greenday! It's way overplayed, but "American Idiot" in its entirety plays quite well all the way through, which can't be said for most albums these days.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by LlamaGod:

quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

quote:

Just pick whatever bling bling yea yea rapper is the current hot stuff of the month, then.

I would do that, but I hate rap. Especially Eminem. I just can't really understand all the croth grabbing that goes with the job.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #68
I don't care much for Holiday, but the first two singles off the album are pretty good (in reference to Greenday).

I've heard very little rap that I actually like, but my hatred for it is getting steadily less extreme. I don't like Eminem, but he's much more bearable than most other rappers to my ear.

Edit: It's my opinion that CDs will eventually die out and mp3 files will pretty much take over the market. The music industry will adapt accordingly. I see this as a good thing, personally.

[ Monday, May 09, 2005 13:05: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #69
Since when is P2P illegal? I'm always surprised at how scared people are about being prosecuted for downloading songs. As far as I now song downloading is illegal in the US. But since most of us are not from there what does it matter. If companies are losing so much money on "illegal" downloads why don't they improve the CD security. Games are nearly impossible to burn for the average person due to increased security. Why not make CDs the same?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #70
quote:
Games are nearly impossible to burn for the average person due to increased security.
What? The only type of copy protection found to be more than minimally successful is for your game to have a popular online play feature which requires a valid CD-key or a registered account.

Well, okay, I suppose the ridiculous versions of Safedisc that completely prevented protected CDs from reading in some CD burners frustrated SOME people... except that the main group of people who were frustrated were legitimate consumers who couldn't even play the games in question. Practically all of those games were, in fact, cracked nonetheless.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #71
Ugh... SafeDisc is my arch-nemesis. Not because I do illegal things, but because I enjoy playing the games I buy.

In regards to music downloads, my dad was recently sued because (mainly my-) brother (a little bit-) and I had downloaded quite a bit of illegal music files. They threatened for some ridiculous amount of money, but luckily we were able to settle.

Anyway, the point is... it IS stealing. I know that means nothing to 99% of you, but lately I've become to sympathize due to recent events in my personal life. Granted, record companies are slobs and are a cause in themselves for human downfall, but the law is the law. So if you do it, don't get caught.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #72
Another reason to use a Mac.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #73
Gimme some money and I'd be glad to convert.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #74
quote:
Originally written by Kirk Johnson:

Another reason to use a Mac.
How does using a mac help? nothing against macs, of course, all my computers are macs.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff

Pages