Music Preference

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Music Preference
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Kirk Johnson:

Another reason to use a Mac.
Does mac have a special feature that windows doesn't? I have a windows, and don't want to change that, even if they (macs) can burn more CD's than windows. I don't burn them, I listen to them and tell my friends to go buy their own. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #76
Yes, what is it about macs?
But I'm more interested in how the heck the record company found out Un-Demonslayered's dad and bro. What the? Everyone downloads stuff from the internet, and they found you? What, did you brag about it, stating your name, address and social security number? How could they find out about downloading stuff?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #77
It's not all that hard to see if someone's been downloading a lot of music. I've heard the security of an unencrypted transmission over the Internet being compared to a conversation in a crowded restaurant; anyone who happens to be in the right place at the right time can listen in if they particularly want to. Tracing back the download to your computer and finding out your identity is less trivial, but perfectly achievable with the cooperation of your ISP.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #78
Hmmm yeah, it's your unique IP address (sp?) that's the problem, right? I guess the music companies have a claim to ask the ISP about users downloading their copyrighted material. Or something, I have no idea about how any of this works.

For the record, I'm guilty. But that won't stop me in the future from downloading hard-to-get music. I buy cds when I can.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by An Upright stranger:

Hmmm yeah, it's your unique IP address (sp?) that's the problem, right? I guess the music companies have a claim to ask the ISP about users downloading their copyrighted material. Or something, I have no idea about how any of this works.
IP addresses aren't actually unique (to your computer, anyway); different computers on the same ISP can have the same IP address at different times. But I'd assume ISPs keep records of who is allocated what IP address at what time, which is still enough to identify you.

Fortunately, the ends of major copyright holders are served better by making examples of a few cases rather than spending vast amounts of time and money following up every act of piracy they see.

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 03:30: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #80
PC users use KaZaA, the primary source of all anti-piracy lawsuits.

The Gnutella network, on the other hand, is rarely touched.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #81
After using Google for 10 minutes I found a lot of evidence of ganging up on Kazaa, like with Napster.
I understand now, the music companies don't have a chance of widespread suits.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #82
I tend to buy most of the music I want, just because many of the mp3s out there aren't necessarily well-ripped. Also, I'm a big nerd who likes to have all the album information accurately filled out in my iTunes library. I will on occasion rip a friend's album if it's something that I like, though I'm more than willing to reciprocate.

My current list:

Radiohead
The Roots
Tribe Called Quest
Billy Idol
Joe Welch and the Aurelians
The Shins
Green Day
The Articles
Bjork
Bumpus
The Cure
G. Love & Special Sauce
Frente!
Manu Chao
Nickel Creek
The Strokes
Yerba Buena

Taking a break from U2 right now. I also have been listening a lot to the classical pieces on the "Master and Commander" soundtrack, mainly because I've been hammering through the book series - 17 down, 3 to go!

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 04:30: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #83
Yup, Radiohead, Roots, Tribe Called Quest, U2, can't really disagree with that.
Have you heard The Hives or De La Soul?

Hmmm, I recently downloaded "Last Nite" by The Strokes from amazon.com of all places.

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 05:01: Message edited by: An Upright stranger ]

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #84
Haven't really listened to the Hives or De La Soul. I've been meaning to give some new stuff a listen - maybe I'll check them out. :)
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #85
All you have to do is "sign in" to download.

Strokes
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/-/digital-musi c/218858/ref=j_dp_artn_1/103-8155425-2658239

Hives
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/-/digital-music/677 98/ref=j_xsp_1/103-8155425-2658239

Amazon reliably has previews of songs on cd, just search for something and try it out.

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 05:29: Message edited by: An Upright stranger ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #86
Pretty much all of the band members and artists involved in the music I enjoy are either dead or fat and prosperous nowadays. It's not a question of supporting new and emerging artists, in my case. Therefore, I download without guilt.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #87
Doesn't it say somewhere in the CoC that it is against the rules to talk about illegal activites?

--------------------

Polaris
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #88
Shut up.

We got caught from (speculating here...) our ISP cooperating. They didn't have to, from what I hear, but the bastards did. It doesn't matter now, I'm a new man. And I'm clean.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #89
Yeah, but it's more to prohibit talk about, like... how to do, or advocating doing illegal things.

In any case, 99.9% of ISPs will cooperate with an agency seeking to file suit against someone using their services rather than take a lawsuit for a customer. It's just good business sense.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #90
I feel sorry for you you guys. In Canada ISPs refuse to cooperate no matter what. At least so far they have refused. After all their money comes from the consumer not record companies.

"I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service.”

The best part about P2P is the people too afraid to download, yet will still buy a burnt CD off you for 5 dollars.

edit: Yes Kazaa is "gay" Limewire is far more reliable

[ Wednesday, May 11, 2005 15:27: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #91
I'm personally a big fan of Carlos Santana.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #92
I'll always go for Uriah Heep and Trio Niskalaukaus.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #93
I don't download music files for my MP3 player, I just get them off my CD's. Its a lot easier and its quicker. Makes more sense to me than downloading.

EDIT: Is that better Thuryl?

[ Thursday, May 12, 2005 22:36: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

I don't download illegal music files for my MP3 player, I just get them off my CD's. Its a lot easier, its legal, and its quicker.
See if you can spot what's wrong with your grammar here.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #95
I don't download music files for my MP3 player, I just get them off my CD's. Its a lot easier and its quicker. Makes more sense to me than downloading.

Is that better? If not, I'm sorry for being a poor English student.

I also edited the post in question. You might not notice, so I'll post this.

--------------------

Polaris
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

I don't download illegal music files for my MP3 player; I just get them off my CDs. It's a lot easier, legal, and quicker.
fyt

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #97
My criticism was that the "them" in the second half of his first sentence referred to the "illegal music files" in the first half, which clearly wasn't what he intended.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Apprentice
Member # 5808
Profile #98
I like anything except Country music.

--------------------
Flash games
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #99
quote:
Originally written by fitsperfect:

I like anything except Country music.
You must not be listening to a big variety of music. IMHO, bad music outnumbers good music at least 10 to one.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff

Pages