Do you think there is a Hell?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you think there is a Hell?
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #50
Okay, I see what you mean (although I still have never seen anyone besides a member of the clergy preach Christianity). Thanks for the info.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #51
I don't believe in Hell, Heaven, or any other afterlife, reincarnation, souls, or any other religious idea that must be based upon belief rather than observation of the world around us.

Despite this, I still attempt to live by a moral and ethical code, not just because I will go to heaven if I do, and go to hell if I don't, but because it is my choice to do what I feel would be the right thing.

However, if it turns out the Christians are right, I think it is doubtful I will go to hell when I die, as I will have lived my life to values that are very close if not almost identical to the generally accepted Christian ones, though of my own free will rather than because I follow the words of a holy book.

I have a nasty suspicion this topic is about to degenerate into a religious flamewar.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #52
About Ben's comment, where he said the universe couldn't possibly be made by a mortal being? Well, I read a very interesting book about god and physics(I'll explain how these two go toegether.) Using scientific laws and studies, the book concluded that if there is a "supreme being" (It did not say if there was), that its body would be made of the universe, and we, humans, would be like individual cells. And when entropy has taken its toll and the universe is empty, this being would be, in effect, dead.

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #53
Who says we're not actually living in the imagination of some very, very creative guy? I picture someone with white hair and a wise, knowing expression, professor-like, quill and pipe in hand, a bit like Tolkien perhaps, who has invented all our funny languages and mythologies and religions and history. And now we live in that world.

Why wouldn't it seem real to us?

I'm sure some of our history makes for excellent fantasy novels.

But I will have to argue with anyone who claims to know that author's mind, and claims to know what she/he wants us to do. Speculating about this author is theory, and while I might hold that idea in mind as reality - in the way I might "believe" in the existence of Middle-earth - I could not allow that belief to influence my actions.

Religion is, basically, a combination of mythology, philosophy, and ethics. Give me the ethics and I'll consider their value, but please don't force the mythology down my throat along with that. I know murder is bad without an old book telling me so.

[ Thursday, March 31, 2005 02:03: Message edited by: Are run? Kite are. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #54
Oh yeah! And his dream has an explanation for everything in the world! Dream on.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #55
Hey, people have believed far weirder things than that.

*cough*hare-krishna-holy-mother*cough*

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #56
"He's dreaming now," said Tweedledee: "and what do you think he's dreaming about?"

Alice said "Nobody can guess that."

"Why, about you!" Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #57
Of course, God does not fall subject to the scientific laws and physics of our universe, Maxmillion. He is the one who made them. His dwelling is inaccessable while you are confined to a world of three spacial demensions; only souls that have accepted Him and are free of their sin can go there.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #58
quote:
Originally written by ben2:

Of course, God does not fall subject to the scientific laws and physics of our universe, Maxmillion. He is the one who made them. His dwelling is inaccessable while you are confined to a world of three spacial demensions; only souls that have accepted Him and are free of their sin can go there.
Typical apologetics.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by ben2:

I'll pretend to believe you. Now you're suppose to break out and shout INFIDEL.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #60
Ben: Do people who've never heard of god go to heaven?

(sorry, I just couldn't resist, seeing ben's responses.)

--------------------
LINKAGE
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #61
Hmm, so help me understand this concept. As long as you except Jesus as your lord and savior you can do what ever you want good or bad? If Jesus died for our sins than you can sin and still go to heaven right? So you can do every bad thing you can think of, and as long as you ask Jesus to forgive you on you deathbed you are sent to heaven?

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #62
I think that might work, although personally I don't beleive in the afterlife and hell.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #63
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Hmm, so help me understand this concept. As long as you except Jesus as your lord and savior you can do what ever you want good or bad? If Jesus died for our sins than you can sin and still go to heaven right? So you can do every bad thing you can think of, and as long as you ask Jesus to forgive you on you deathbed you are sent to heaven?
Or what about peopel who've never heard of Jesus? Are they instantly absolved?

What about infants and young children that are too young to know to believe? At what age does it matter?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #64
A very important date wrote:
quote:
Give me the ethics and I'll consider their value, but please don't force the mythology down my throat along with that. I know murder is bad without an old book telling me so.
Have you ever considered that you know by hearsay what was shaped by the book?

Murder is bad because you belong to a group that does not accept killing people - at least in this country at present. The book was instrumental in defining and shaping this group over more than 1000 years and you dream about knowing anything without that book - maybe you can avoid direct contact but the spirit of that book runs deeper in every one of your your thoughts than you can possibly know.

Just try to think yourself as NOT being a member of the ethical group - is there anything that would tell you what is right and wrong?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #65
Don't they say if the infant wasn't baptized it goes to Limbo?

--------------------
Nena
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #66
Limbo is no longer Catholic doctrine (in fact, I'm not entirely sure it ever officially was), and it never really caught on in the other branches of Christianity.

I do have considerable respect for the Catholics. At least they try to answer all these little questions, even if their answers sometimes end up sounding a bit silly.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #67
If you've honestly never heard of Jesus, God will understand and give you a chance to turn to him before you're swept off into hell. However, less and less people are falling into that category, and like someone said before, it's part of a Christian's duty to make sure as many people know about Jesus as possible so they don't have just one chance to choose Jesus--they can do it far beforehand. The same goes for babies, but babies haven't even had a chance to understand what God is all about and to commit sin. They're just little babies. I'm sure they make it into heaven rather easily.

Of course, just because you've accepted Jesus doesn't mean that you're free to sin all you want. If you sincerely accepted him and follow his ways, you won't have a desire to sin anyway and you'll be better able to resist temptation with God on your side, hence the phrase "born again." This is why Christians are stereotyped as king, gentle, non-violent, and non-vulgar people - because they follow the ways of Jesus. If you accept Jesus but still feel that you're free to sin all you want, you need to rethink your commitment and change your ways.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
Actually, that's really not the stereotype at all among most non-Christians. Christians tend to be known by their worst and loudest element, or, appropriately enough, as enemies of the true faith.

Yes, the Bible has influenced morality for thousands of years (and for thousands of years before Christianity came into being), but it's far from the only or first influence. Pre-Christian and non-Christian cultures have tended to be as law-abiding and functional as Christian ones, and they were surprisingly free of horrors and rampant evil. Almost all cultures have had some form of spirituality to inform moral decisions, but it certainly doesn't have to be based on the Bible.

—Alorael, who would like to know how it is in any way a good thing to introduce anyone to Christianity if ignorance means Jesus gets to speak for himself. Doing missionary work simply means a less persuasive person tries to do the converting and puts the very souls he wants to save at greater risk. If religion were medicine, the Hippocratic Oath would forbid missionaries.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #69
Let's say someone is a very good person. They help everyone who needs them, they give all their wealth and belongings to the poor, and they even forgive everyone who ever wronged them. This person chooses to worship nature and life rather than any particular God, do they go to heaven?

They did not fallow Jesus, but they did live a life doing the things he taught.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 17:06: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #70
But they don't realize that Jesus is the one that created them and that made is possible for them to go to heaven. You can't get to heaven only by good works.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #71
Does it matter? It's only Christian heaven.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #72
Another reason why I don't like people preaching religion is because it scares me, especially the whole hell part. It's so big and vast, and as I said, scary.

Another question: do you need to be baptised, or is it just a good thing to do (if Christian)?

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 18:44: Message edited by: I've got an idiot in my pocket ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Warrior
Member # 5619
Profile Homepage #73
If you are a Christian, then yes you must be baptises.

And no Wise man we are not only talking about"Christian's heaven", but like I said before you all know if there is hell or heaven as soon as you pass away.....

--------------------
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #74
That is an interesting response.

--------------------
Nena

Pages