RPG Recommendations

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: RPG Recommendations
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by The Dog And Pony Show:

Is this like that stupid distinction between SF and sci-fi that fat Berkeley beardos like to talk about?
Probably. Has that ever stopped an argument on Spidweb before?

quote:
A role-playing game... is a game in which role-playing is the primary focus. There's no ambiguity about that definition.
Right. An "RPG," for lack of a better term, is a game with hit points, quests great or small, etc. That's not a good definition, but it is one. That's why even railroading games like Final Fantasy are RPGs.

Actually, you could also make a case for Final Fantasy being a role-playing game because your characters have very definite, unchangeable roles regardless of what you want.

quote:
Alorael: Exile gives you at the very least the choice between villainous self-interest and noble charity.
Villainy at its worst usually just makes a town hostile. You can't advance the plot at all by being evil. It may be role-playing, but it's not much of it.

—Alorael, who insists that the term RPG exists based on the games put in the category, not vice versa. Any mechanics can surround role-playing, but that does not an RPG make.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #51
quote:

I should clarify- I currently have Fire Emblem (yay!),
The term for this game is "freakin' awesomeness," not a mere "yay!" ;)

quote:

Golden Sun I & II (yay!),

"Yay" is about right...dunno if an exclamation point is appropriate.

quote:

FFTA (yay!),

Agreed.

quote:

Pokemon Ruby in German (eh),

Es ist nicht entfernt nahe ehrfürchtigem.

quote:

Zelda II (yay!)

...I hope you don't mean, like, the NES Zelda II.

quote:

and Sword of Mana (eh).

Compared to the awesomeness of Seiken Denetetsu 3, Sword of Mana made me sad.
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #52
Give Megaman Battle Network 2 or 3 a shot. It has a nice battle system, and its setting is kind of interesting. The fact that most of the main characters are fifth graders is annoying, but it's not a major flaw.

[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 15:47: Message edited by: Jawaj ]

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
Ax- What the heck is "ehrfürchtigem?" Perhaps a native German speaker can help here, since I'm not sure whether that's a typo or how I should go about fixing it. (Oh yeah- I was referring to the SNES one.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #54
ehrfürchtig = awe inspiring, awesome

But Arenax' sentence doesn't make sense. Maybe he means something like: 'Es ist nicht grad zum Niederknien.' meaning: 'it isn't that awesome'.

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #55
Although not so popular, I kind of like the homeland series. If you havent already, give homeland 2 a shot. It's in the link for homeland 1 in the spiderweb games section.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #56
Hahaha(etc, etc...)ha!!!

I'll see you, in Hell.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #57
Advance Wars 2 for the GBA.

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #58
Well if you must know it is "scientifiction" first coined by Hugo Gernsbach in 1927, the founder of American Stories, the first science fiction magazine. I have no beard but I was born in Berkeley, California, and I am phat you wussy gamer fan boy. So there :P

As far as what a roleplaying game is who cares as long as it is fun to play. Computer games are for fun not blathering about how many pixels got stuck in your nose and ears.

I nominate Arcanum again a million times over. I finished it twice. Play it. You'll like it. None of the games I see out there seem worth getting. The only other thing which looks even remotely good is Warlords Battlecry III -- highly rated. I'm thinking of getting it. A combination fantasy/ strategy game once again with roleplaying elements.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #59
Advance Wars 2 is pure Turn-based Strategy, not an RPG.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #60
quote:
Originally written by Verbose:

[QUOTE]
Actually, you could also make a case for Final Fantasy being a role-playing game because your characters have very definite, unchangeable roles regardless of what you want.

So does Duke Nukem.

I don't think it's possible to make an inclusive definition of RPG that includes both traditional RPG and console-type "RPG"s but not Quake and Gradius.
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #61
Hey, Duke Nukem 3-D has a variable role. You can save the pole dancers, give them money, or kill them! That's variable, right? :P And Arenax, you need to take into consideration that Zelda II was awesome for its time. While it is a step in the wrong direction from the first one, it's still a rather fun game, assuming you don't spend hours trying to level up your attack by killing those magic-stealing skull guys. And the SNES Zelda is Zelda 3, with the old GB Zelda (Link's Awakening) being Zelda 4. And seeing as we now know you own the greatest video game system of all time, the Super Nintendo, let me recommend Secret of Mana. Sexiness... awesome game for multiplayer :D
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by ef:

ehrfürchtig = awe inspiring, awesome

But Arenax' sentence doesn't make sense. Maybe he means something like: 'Es ist nicht grad zum Niederknien.' meaning: 'it isn't that awesome'.

That didn't translate well, but I don't know German well enough to fix that. I was trying to say something like "It is nowhere near awesome."
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #63
Hey TM, here's my list (some have been mentioned already)

Arcanum: very cool character development. Cool story line. Stupidly boring last act (you basically fight your way in what seemed too Diabloesque, and Diablo worked for whatever reasons it did all by itself)

KotOR: The second one (which I hear is pretty much like the first) is coming to PC soon. I played it on my relatively crappy computer without problems but with the graphics turned down. Very cool game, specially if you like SW (better storyline than the sequels, feels like a movie.)

ToEE: I mention this as a counterpoint since it was recommended. It is indeed a cool game. As it was noted you need a good system to truly enjoy it, turn base as it is, it gets extremely sluggish on slower system with the big fights (there are a few)
The problem I had with it is that it's way too damn short. Better spend your money elsewhere unless you love Greyhawk on an outlandish level and have plenty of money to spend.

Fallout 1 and 2, of course. 'Nuff said.

Planetscape. Awesome. One of the best RPGs to come out in the last 10 years. The storyline is cool, and the character interaction is great.

Morrowind: I hated it. Granted it was kind of cool to wonder all over the world for days on end doing quests, but I hated the combat system. That's just me, how I can oppose so many lists?

Lionheart: great idea. Cool character development. However, it has an atrocious combat system. One of the worst I've seen.

Space 1869 (I think that was the name) it's a very old game, from the late 80's, early 90's. But it is free.

FF7.

System Shock (old and good and free)
Super Hero League of Hobboken (it is more a graphic adventure with role playing elements than anything, but it is entertaining and free. Done by Legen entertainment and writter by Steve M. from Infocom fame)
Betrayal at Krondor (also old and good and free)
Albion.
Centauri Alliance, if you have a Commodore 64 emulator.

This one is a strategy game but a neat one: Rise of Nations.

I'll try to think of modern ones.
I guess, of those you can buy in stores right now, I'd recommend Arcanum and KotOR.

Well. . . if you like mindless killing, Diablo style, I guess Dungeon Siege. Though it is just like Diablo, more characters in your party, more basic stat system and biggger. So, just in case you dig that, which somehow I think you don't since your scenarios rely heavily on plot and design not on mindless hack and slash.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Warrior
Member # 3159
Profile Homepage #64
Don't get Return to Krondor. It's a sad dissapointment following the first. And it costs money. They made the game so tedious. Repeated screens that lead to different places. You'll o into a room, kill the guy, leave, go right back in, and theres a new bad guy and the stuff that was there before that you forgot to take is gone. And I mean chests, not enemy remains. That and when you go into a house and then when you go out it's somewhere else.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #65
to TM and Arenax:

'ehrfürchtig'
der Respekt: in ehrfürchtigem Respekt
die Andacht: in ehrfürchtiger Andacht
das Schweigen: in ehrfürchtigem Schweigen

'It is nowhere near awesome.'
A literal translation won't make much sense, as we don't use the word 'ehrfürchtig' - 'awesome' in the same contexts as you do. Everyday language would probably come up with something like: 'Das haut mich nicht grad vom Hocker.', teens would find it 'sowas von ungeil', but don't use those in an essay.

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #66
This is supposedly good. Can't read German though, I think it is German.

Draker & Demoner

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #67
That's not German. I'm guessing it's Sweedish because of the .se

What's ToEE?

[ Thursday, December 23, 2004 20:08: Message edited by: Wilfred A. Spurts ]

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #68
Temple of Elemental Evil. By Troika, the company started by some former Fallout devs.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #69
This is just an odd game. I am waiting to see how Darghul will be though. I played a bit of the demo of Teudogar which was kind of odd.

Darghul and Teudogar

I am interested in finding out about other independent roleplaying games. Please let me know.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5273
Profile #70
The Kingdom of Loathing.

One of the greatest RPGs ever made.

Choose from a range of character classes such as Pastamancer, Seal Clubber and Disco Bandit.

Adventure in dangerous locations: the Hippy Camp, the Misspelled Cemetary (home to Zmobies and Lihcs), and the Orc Chasm.

Beat up terrible enemies like Ninja Snowmen, Filthy Hippy Chefs (avoid these ones or they'll veganize you in the knee), and frightening MagiMechTech MechaMechs.

Best of all, it's FREE!

More information at http://kingdomofloathing.com/static.php?id=whatiskol

[ Sunday, December 26, 2004 18:28: Message edited by: superiority ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #71
I agree about Kingdom of Loathing. It is a lot of fun. I found another one. This looks kind of like a linux programmer went insane and tried to make a roleplaying game.

Freedroid

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #72
I got the matrix game that came out in 2003! It was only 5 bux and its tun a fun! :) :) :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 57
Profile #73
How about Gothic 2 its fun and better than the first one
Apprentice
Member # 4916
Profile #74
Heard of Progress Quest before?

Pages