Living in the past?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Living in the past?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
Ok, I am not one that likes starting philosophical discussions, but I need to vent after a nasty discussion with some girl who is extremely narrow-minded and told me that I was the narrow-minded one and a Conservative Christian as well. I took great offense to that because I consider myself to be a liberal and very open-minded.

Here is the story. It started from talking about humor in movies. I told her that I don't like the humor as produced by people like Adam Sandler and Jim Carey or in the movie American Pie. That type of humor disgusts me for some odd reason. I told her I like older types of humor, like that of Red Skelton and Jack Benny, British comedies, and humor like in the movies Clue and the Goonies. She said the humor in those movies is okay, but Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey humor is much better and more sensible.

And then the discussion progressed to talking about what type of humor is appropriate and which is not. She said that I need to broaden my view of good humor, and I said there was nothing wrong with it. I have limitations on my tastes of course, but everyone has limitations. And I feel that no one should have to change their tastes just to satisfy other people.

From that point, it went into a discussion of whether or not the classics and old actors and actresses are important in this day and age. I told her that classics and the actors and actresses that worked hard all their lives to entertain earlier generations should not be forgotten by today's generations. She told me that today's generations should not have to know about them at all because they didn't grow up with them or because they were born long after the movies came out and the actors and actresses were famous. I told her that's a bad excuse for ignoring them.

I then told her that I would not watch most movies made after 2000, because they do not interest me the way movies in previous years did. However, I have exceptions when a good one comes along. She says that she likes some older movies, but that all the focus should be put on what is coming out now because they are tomorrow's classics. In other words, that the present is the only thing that is important. This infuriated me. I told her that she couldn?t just ignore the past. Why else are films being preserved for future generations to watch?

In addition, she told me that today's generations are getting dumber and dumber and need lower class movies to entertain them. She said that I can either hate all movies that are being released, as they will never be like they once were, or I can find something in all of them to that I like. I told her that I would soon hate every movie that comes out until I find one that I like, than watch stuff I don't like. She calls this being very narrow-mindedness. I call it selective viewing.

She then said that I was stupid for living in the past and not concentrating on everything in the future, as that is more important. I told her that the world is headed in a downward spiral because of its ignorance, I would be there to laugh when everyone finds it out way too late that they have lost all their morals and knowledge to the corruption of today's society. I told her that the past is where I choose to live because its what I study as a hobby and it is very important to know about. I also told her that to study the past you must live it sometimes. She told me that the past is worthless and unimportant unless it can be applied to today.

What do you, the people of the Spiderweb community, have to say? Sorry for the long post.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Warrior
Member # 3232
Profile Homepage #1
I like classic movies, in general, more than the newer crap. A lot of the movies that have come out in the last few lears are mindless and horrbly stupid. Only a few of them are entertaining in any way. In any case, I am going to make a rare exception to my general regimen of not watching new movies in order to watch Kill Bill volume two. That movie will rock. The first one was great, a true logical progression for the director of such great movies as Reserviour Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and I can't wait to get the volume one DVD on tuesday.

--------------------
-Phynex, Dark Strategist

Never let morals get in the way of doing what's right
Apprentice
Member # 4213
Profile #2
Do you wish that the year would be something like 1904-1994 instead of 2004?

--------------------
It came from the Misc Abyss...

Currently breaking my head:
-In Victoria: An Empire under the Sun
-In BoA Editor
-Because of bad weather
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #3
Mostly I agree with what you think, the quality of movies these days is awful.

quote:
She told me that the past is worthless and unimportant unless it can be applied to today.
I recommend shooting the girl and leaving her corpse for the wolves to eat. That is just plain stupidity, the legendary mistake of mankind to ignore the past.

--------------------
Saundersw3: He wanders through the action gazing mutely at sunsets, and maybe trying to lure Alec's char?
Warrior
Member # 3232
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Do you wish that the year would be something like 1904-1994 instead of 2004?

I don't think 1944 would be a very good year to live in. Especially in Europe.

--------------------
-Phynex, Dark Strategist

Never let morals get in the way of doing what's right
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #5
I enjoy all the old movies. Pink Panther, Three Stooges, Citizan Cain, Casablanka...the works.

I have always studied older films, the stars, and how the movies where made. Being in the movie prodution end of life, this is all really important to me.

The thing with movies of the past is I can relate to them. I can see me playing that part in the movie. I can see it happening to me in real life.
With movies of today, I just cant relate. Me as Daredevil? No way. I don't see me drag racing some junky looking car down LA nether.

The thing is that I need to conect with the movie and the older films have a way of doing that for me. Most films nowadays and just "B" movies; made for the flash and the "wow" rather then the moral of what needs to be said.

They just seem to have a plotline because the writer needed some way to link all the fighting and killing and adult themes together. Those things are suposta add to the plotling, not be that plotline. They should only help get the moral across.

I just need something that means something. When I look back, I don't think of Dumb and Dumber, I think of Citizan Cain. I think of Rosebud, the Rosebud that is in my life, That is something that I can relate to. It's something that touches me.

Now that I sound like the crazed lunitic that I am, I'll go to bed

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #6
I'm not the best advocate of old films - most of the films I watch are '70s onwards. While we can't ignore old films, I think it's also important to enjoy the new ones.

That said, I would happily drag Jim Carrey up against the wall and shoot him. Repeatedly.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #7
You have to remember that in those old days they made bad movies too. We just don't choose to remember them. For every "Casablanca", "African Queen" or "The Maltese Falcon" they made, they also made a dozen or so bad movies.

It's possible that your discussion with this person got a little heated, and you both took extreme positions, which is very easily done. Remember that her opinion is just that - her opinion. Also remember that her opinion, while you may not agree with it, is equally as valid as yours. Discussions around personal taste in movies have no "wrong" or "right". Perhaps instead of looking for differences of opinions, you might like to look for similarities, and work from there. You could show her a DVD of something you really like that you think might interest her and agree to watch a DVD of her choice, one she thinks might interest you. It gives you a chance to demonstrate that you are not narrow-minded, challenges her to demonstrate the same, and it's entirely possible you both might learn something if you watch a movie through someone else's eyes.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #8
I think the question of whether we should watch old movies or not, is a little strange.

People watch movies they like, be they new or not. Anything wrong with that? No. It's up to the movie to attract viewers. A good movie is sure to get watched, but it hasn't got anything to do with whether it's old or not.

I wholeheartedly agree that many new films suck, but so does many old ones. So, watch films you like, but don't tell your friends what they should watch.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #9
i agree with you, old movies were so much better than now i mean look at stuff like scary movie 3 i mean thats just sad.

though there are new movies that are good (the LOTRS, hidalgo was nice too) but theres something like 20:1 ratio of bad:good movies

just my 2 cents

PS: she's right about the miltitudes geting dumber and dumber, but the solution to that isnt making bad movies...

--------------------
spiderweb soft make an mmorpg!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by ArcticWaffles:

quote:
She told me that the past is worthless and unimportant unless it can be applied to today.
I recommend shooting the girl and leaving her corpse for the wolves to eat. That is just plain stupidity, the legendary mistake of mankind to ignore the past.

Oh yes. STOP LIVING IN THE PAAAAST, MAAAAN! [/new_age_hippie_"open_minded_type"]

Just remember that all girls are born with cooties, and they can't help it.

(Amen for the past!)

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #11
Sure I'm living in the past. The past that never was, except before I was concieved.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Apprentice
Member # 4213
Profile #12
Movies weren't better in the past, only the good ones are remembered.

--------------------

-In BoA Editor
-Because of bad weather
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
Whole point is that the stuff that happened in the past that doesn't look good generally gets forgotten over time. The recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will likely soon be forgotten. The same is true about the past in general. If going back in time to say the 60's or 70's looks good because it seems that people had more fun then and nowadays people are just apathetic. Then just think. They don't mention that living then was just as much a pain as living now. That people were just as oppressed. And while all the hippies you see depicted nowadays are free living, free love and all that, remember in reality following that path would mean very different things. Not to mention your hygiene probably wouldn't be up to much.

Me? I liked several decades for several reasons: the 90's for all the Old Skool music, the 60's for the fashion (talking about it, much akin to all of the stuff you see nowadays), the 20's just because they look FUN. In reality, they would all be just as much a pain as now.

Same goes for movies. We see iconic movies of then, but never see the failiures. Living now, we see them all.

Also, I think that quite a bit of Sandler and Carrey is funny, former more so than latter. But some of it is just really lame. Lem in fact. Lemmer than Lemsip.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Just remember that all girls are born with cooties, and they can't help it.
What the... !!!?
(runs for a gun to shoot Desert Plah, then thinks about most the girls she befriends)
Well, let's say "many girls".

quote:
I don't like the humor as produced by people like Adam Sandler and Jim Carey or in the movie American Pie. That type of humor disgusts me for some odd reason.
Haven't seen any of those at a cinema. And I zap by instinct every time I see Jim Carrey's face (he's rather popular at Spain, don't ask me why)
That said, I like many films, from Chaplin's Gold Rush to nowadays Hidalgo. Every time has its bunch of good movies, as well as of forgettable ones. I'm sure Carrey's films will survive (Jerry Lewis' did), but most of the crap currently in the front page won't.
Hey, Sherlock Holmes, ask that girl in ten or twenty years about good films again. She may have changed her point of view by then. IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 05:24: Message edited by: Mab ]
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #15
About living in the past: I like the old-timey clothes, y'know? I wanna go around in some of those great big cool leather coat things like they have in all the english movies set in the past. You know the kind. And the hats, too, by gosh, the hats.

--------------------
Check out the DIARY, why doncha? It won't bite. Probably.

"We were heart companions,
We were companions in the woods,
We were fellows of the same bed,
Where we used to sleep the balmy sleep.
After mortal battles abroad,
In countries many and far distant,
Together we used to practice, and go
Through each forest, learning with Scathach".
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #16
Same here. I have a fascination with the olden days. Mostly the 1880s and 1890s. As you can probably guess, the era of Sherlock Holmes. I would love to be able to obtain some clothes from that time, a smoking pipe, deerstalk cap, artificats, and so forth.

I like the 80s as well. I wish I could go back to the time when the Goonies movie came out. It would be wonderful to relive the 80s that I never knew.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Apprentice
Member # 4213
Profile #17
With that said, you *are* living in the past.

Nothing bad about that in the end. My parents are desperately stuck on the Soviet age but they are quite nice people nevertheless.

--------------------

-In BoA Editor
-Because of bad weather
Apprentice
Member # 4169
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by ArcticWaffles:

quote:

I would like to second that. Has she never heard the saying, "history repeats"? If you see what has happened in the past, you can prepare for situations in the future. That girl is a complete moron. I think you should print off this thread and show her how stupid people know she is IMAGE(tongue00.gif)
For that whole "the generation is filled with idiots" crap, why cram more stupidity down our throats when someone can make something better? We don't all live on trendy clothes and brand names.

I dislike stupid people. Smack the girl upside the head next time. Just my opinion IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
-- Zell_1388
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I agree with parts of both your views. There is absolutely no reason to any of the movies coming out now. I don't, and I think my life is fulfilling and happy and all that. On the other hand, there's also no reason to love classic cinema. They're different, but not necessarily better than each other.

?Alorael, who agrees that old movies, like old anything, have the advantage of being filterede through years and years of attrition garbage. The really awful stuff just doesn't survive. Well, the moderately awful stuff doesn't survive. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and its ilk will live forever.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
I don't watch much of either, but from what I've seen, I can come up with a generalization: Old movies have stories and character, new movies have picture and music. In my opinion, new movies look and sound far better than old ones. Ben Hur is a great movie, I'm sure, but I found it incredibly boring. Call me shallow, but I just can't like a movie without aesthetics. Or a game, for that matter; Diablo II may be slash-and-hack, but I prefer it to most RPGs just because of the quality of its music and graphics (maybe I'm living in the past a bit, too). On the other hand, most movies today suck, quite frankly. They may be more aesthetically pleasing, but they have no spirit, no moral. LotR is a good combination of both the old story and the new aesthetics, and look how successful that was. I wish Hollywood would take a hint.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
You just have to filter out the garbage. You can't go and see the hit movie every week. I thought Lost in Translation was quite good (not too often we see movies about platonic love; it was kind of refreshing), and so were the Lord of the Rings movies. Of the less refined variety, I rather liked Eurotrip, but that tells you just how much of an ape I really am.

The classics have as much variety to them as the movies of today. To people who hated Citizen Kane, I say: watch a good Hitchcock film, then. Rear Window could've been made yesterday. It's genuinely timeless, but not in a snooty it's-timeless-because-it's-boring-intellectual-garbage kind of way. Or if not either of those, watch Grease, or Rebel Without a Cause. Or watch Apocalypse Now. Or...

There are many different flavors of movies that were made, say, more than ten or fifteen years ago and therefore are old enough to be "old" movies. Categorizing them all under one heading is probably a bad idea.

EDIT: Sir David, if you like graphics and music over other aspects of games, how on Earth did you end up playing Spiderweb games?

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 12:03: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #22
Just because he likes Diablo II alot because of its music and graphics, doesn't mean he doesn't like simplistic games.

Personally I never really cared about movies, the only ones that looked really stupid were the action ones with no plot, or flashy movies. However I cannot stand todays music, as it seems no talent is needed to make it big anymore. This doesn't mean I want to live in another point of time though.

--------------------
"You know a book is good, when it makes you feel like crying or reaching into its fictional realm and strangling one of the characters."
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #23
It's hard to compare old and new movies just for the fact that the technologies were completely different. In the older days when we didn't have the computerised special effects moviemakers had to find more difficult ways to entertain an audience though better techniques, performance and story. Now some moviemakers don't think we really need that anymore because most of the population is entertained enough through the special effects and take the easy way out of it, with exeptions.

Most of the time it all boils down to people's own preferences. People like what they like and they'll watch what they want, but that shouldn't mean they shouldn't be closed-minded about certain movies. I think in this case we can change 'never judge a book by it's cover' with 'never judge a movie by its age' because you never know if you'll like something different if you never see it.

Age probably has a lot to do with it also. Generally small kids aren't going to want to watch old movies, unless they were made for kids. (Generally) a large population of teens like movies with little plot and overly done special effects. I think that by the age of 12 most people will choose to either diversitise or join the crowd. My guess is that we tend to divirsitise more as we get older.

As for me i'm a great fan of classic comedy and those english type of comedies. I love a good dose of monty python and some hetty wainthrop, i also saw some special on tv the other day about an old show called 'candid camera' which i still haven't recovered from. I still love some jim carey though, sometimes you just can't help but laugh at completely stupid face contortions xD

I'm not too much of a fan of old dramas exept for a few classics, but generally i agree that most movies made these days aren't really up to scratch, save some really good exeptions. Maybe bad movies like need for speed, scary movie 3 and honey are made to balance out really good ones like lotr and gladiator.

(Edit: spelling mistake.)

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 14:05: Message edited by: The Red Book ]

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Warrior
Member # 4023
Profile #24
"she told me that today's generations are getting dumber and dumber and need lower class movies to entertain them". She is right. go to eddit you profiel and go to the year you where born and it gives the option to say that you where born in 2014. ummm.......bonk?

--------------------
Jesus saves.

Pages