Living in the past?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Living in the past?
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Sherlock Holmes:

Same here. I have a fascination with the olden days. Mostly the 1880s and 1890s. As you can probably guess, the era of Sherlock Holmes. I would love to be able to obtain some clothes from that time, a smoking pipe, deerstalk cap, artificats, and so forth.
Ah, yes. When women spoke only when spoken to, and blacks knew their place.

--

I thought "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was pretty good. As was "Bruce Almighty," actually. Jim Carrey hasn't been Ace Ventura for a decade.

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 14:17: Message edited by: Maaya ]

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #26
Adaptability is the mark of good taste.

My rant on T-shirts at Desp applies, to a degree; those inclined will find it at the front page, and those disinclined would do best to ignore the reference.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #27
That isn't what I meant about the 1880s. I am referring to the simplicity of life, not the bad laws and culture.

And this topic is getting out of hand. My original point is that the past is important and should be preserved.

I never said that old movies are better than new ones. I just meant that old movies, actors, and actresses are not to be forgotten. They worked their whole lives to entertain previous generations and that entertainment shouldn't just stop because our culture and ideas are changing. Historians preserve movies and movie history for a reason. So that future generations can enjoy it.

However, today's generations are being taught the opposite. They are being taught that the past is no longer important and the present and future are everything that matters. They are being taught that classic movies and the old actors and actresses that helped create them no longer matter now that these new movies are coming out.

Simplicity of life is disappearing at an alarming rate. Having your own ideas and opinions is starting to become the wrong thing to do. Today's teenagers are under the constant strain that they need to follow the crowd to be "in" and if they don't, then suddenly they are outcasts. That philosophy is going to do a lot of damage down the road.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
And this topic is getting out of hand. My original point is that the past is important and should be preserved.
A lesson to be learned and learned well: by starting a topic, any topic, about ANYTHING, on the Spiderweb forums, you are opening a Pandora's box. The better the topic, the more out of hand it usually gets. So no worries IMAGE(smile000.gif) .

EDIT: Also, good lord, MSW. You're making some fairly huge and sweeping generalizations about an entire society. I don't feel that I was ever taught to forget the past by any aspect of mainstream culture. We do have this obsession with the new and the up-and-coming, but we also have this concept of retro. While retro fashions and trends have their own issues, they do at least indicate some tendency to care about the past.

American society is not necessarily as conformist as you make it out to be. It just depends on where you are and with whom you speak. (I'm at UC Berkeley, which I'm sure influences my perspective, but still.) I have to agree that some people in some places are disgustingly ignorant of relevant history, but not everyone.

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 16:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #29
quote:

That isn't what I meant about the 1880s. I am referring to the simplicity of life, not the bad laws and culture.
If you're not referring to laws and culture does that mean you're referring to the complexities in technology? The very complexities that allow you to watch DVDs of your favourite movies and allow you to chat here? Or are you referring to the complex (and sometimes confusing) range of choices we all have today in how we live our lives? Could you please clarify what you mean by 'simplicity of life'.

quote:
However, today's generations are being taught the opposite. They are being taught that the past is no longer important and the present and future are everything that matters. They are being taught that classic movies and the old actors and actresses that helped create them no longer matter now that these new movies are coming out.
You're saying today's generation is being pressured to be 'hip' and 'with it' to use terms from the past? And you're saying this is a new thing?

quote:
Simplicity of life is disappearing at an alarming rate. Having your own ideas and opinions is starting to become the wrong thing to do. Today's teenagers are under the constant strain that they need to follow the crowd to be "in" and if they don't, then suddenly they are outcasts. That philosophy is going to do a lot of damage down the road.
Sorry, but the pressure to conform has been around a looong time. Every society from the year dot has used pressure to conform, how else do you think that a 'simpler way of life' was maintained? It certainly wasn't because everyone was happy with it. There have always been outcasts who didn't follow the mainstream. We live in a much more diverse society now than ever before in the past, diversity is much more acceptable now than at any time in the past, and in part it's due to the ending of that 'simpler way of life' you yearn for. There was much less room in the past for people who differed from the mainstream.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
Picking up a book on etiquette from the 19th century, or even from the 1950s, will pretty quickly disillusion you of the idea that life was ever simple. At least now most of the complexity in life is useful rather than pointless.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #31
If we were not allowed to look to the past, how could we know that it improves? (the meaning of "it" depends on the subject. In this case, it means the quality of movies)

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #32
If she said, that today's yuong are getting dumber, and need dumber movies to entertain them, then she's dead wrong. If they're getting dumber, then we must make more and more complicated and integillent films to make them forget about TV and do something else IMAGE(wink0001.gif) . Oh,and if you want to know my type of humour, just look at my signature.

--------------------
Dont think that the glass is half empty or half full. Think that the liquid is not worth of drinking anyway.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #33
Never mind the simplicity of life part. :rolleyes: I am just obsessed with Sherlock Holmes. Does that clear it up?

As for whatever else I said, it's just a jumbled bunch of words. The way I worded what I did in my last post was not the same as what I was actually trying to say. I am not good at putting thoughts into words. However, clarifying how I think takes other people's words.

To put it in the wise words of Premonition, "I am a young person in appearance, but I have the views and wisdom of a person many times older."

I enjoy technology just like everyone else and wouldn't be happy in a time without many of the advances of today. But still, I look back on history and reflect on other times as expressed in documentaries or music or movies like the Goonies. The 80s as portrayed in that movie seemed like an ideal time to live. I just feel depressed that I never got to experience it like some people did.

But that is why I study history, so I can indirectly experience things from other eras that I was born long after. I wouldn't want to permanently live in one of them, but just being able to vaguely experience them brings me a sort of joy in my life. Most people my age and younger won't understand that though, so I have a lot of difficulty explaining it to them.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #34
Sherlock Holmes represents a Victorian England that never existed and never will exist. It was mere fiction, and rather fantastic at that.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #35
I wouldn't classify the 'greed is good' decade of the 80s as the ideal decade to live in. I remember it as a time of rising unemployment, spiralling interest rates, factories closing down, businesses going to the wall, recession, etc. And I don't even want to think about fashion and style in that style-less decade.

I think we need to remember that in any decade, people don't want to go to movies that show the reality of their lives. They want to go to movies that give them an escape from day-to-day life. Most movies are NOT grounded in reality, they're about idealised fantasies. Since people don't want movies that remind them of reality, Hollywood shies away from movies that reflect the everyday experiences and lives of ordinary people. This is the way Hollywood has always worked. The same is largely true of popular fiction.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #36
On the "dumber entertainment for dumber people" thread; It can be argued that the continually lowering quality of entertainment is a major cause of the lowering of inteligence and standards in today's society. People watch the crap that comes out because it is there. By watching it they becaome used to it and even come to expect it. Hollywood sees that people are watching the crap so they make more of it and make it worse. Thus many of the movies, T.V. shows, etc. of today are part of an ugly little cycle of degeneration.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 78% 44% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
Smart people can enjoy entertainment that the more snobbishly enlightened among us deem idiotic. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you can stomach the awfulness.

Actually, it's best to enjoy as many things as possible. There's no real benefit to turning up your nose at the latest horrible addition to television programming. It just gives you more ways to beat boredom and keep yourself happily fascinated as long as you can handle jibes from all your friends and relations.

?Alorael, who does suppose that enough exposure to truly abominable forms of entertainment may well cause permanent neurologic damage and/or subconsciously induced suicide out of self loathing. Sadly, lawsuits against Fear Factor are still few and far between.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages