Mac or PC?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac or PC?
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

I took us 30 minutes to figure out how to do what we needed to do (hook it up to the school's internet connection), then another 5 to do so, when, on a windows pc we both could have done it alone, and in 5-10 minutes.
oh did it? well once i had to sleepover at my g-mo's and she has a pc, i had to do some stupid project for school which was already written into a floppy disk, it took me 2 hours to find where the #$@% you can open storage devices...on a mac it appears on the desktop with a very handy icon that looks like a floppy...so much for pc being more user-friendly eh? and dont even make me tell you about all the shaet i had to go through to make that damn dialup connect...

--------------------
spiderweb soft make an mmorpg!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #51
Theres a shortcut on the windows desktop (in the start menu for XP) called My Computer. go to it and it has all your storage devices and shortcuts to your control panel dial up networking etc., and you can get shorcuts to the individual devices on your desktop if you want. Its SIMPLE.

And to answer the question of who would need a 3.4 GHz processor and 3 GB Ram, I would, or anyone who decides they want to play a newer first person shooter. Even on a 2GHz processor with 512 MB Ram, it still doesn't load fast though.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

A really cool flash movie about subliminal messages
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #52
*sighs*

Mac people are used to MacOS; Windows people are used to Windows. In addition, both groups are prejudiced against the other. Neither system is at all difficult to perform simple tasks in, they just work different. It's like someone who's spent their whole life using, say, Maytag washers. And then they have to use a Kenmore and they say it's much harder.

My experience with both systems is that they make easy things easy, hard things somewhat easy, and really hard things extremely difficult due to having to work beyond the abstraction of Explorer/Aqua/etc.

I speak Unix. I find OS X horribly cumbersome, and Windows XP bizarre. I can use them both, though, and to be honest they're both about the same in usability.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #53
WOOOOOOOOOOHH!!! Go Win95! It may be old, but at least it works! Although I must admit, you can do some pretty spectacular graphics and audio work on an IMac.

Tumtetumtetum. (Twiddles fingers). Nope doesn't look like this post is getting longer on its' own. Oh well. Meh.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #54
In a mad spur of spamming the boards, I have decided that Win95 is the best OS ever! If only because I use it. But, seriously, Macs and PCs tend to run different programs - there are only a few that can be used on both, so how can you compare?

And to retain all of our sanity, please close this topic!! Please?!?

--------------------
Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #55
Rowen - while it's true that most professional video editing is done on Apple computers, PCs aren't shabby at it either. I know at least one professional video editor who does all his stuff on Premiere Pro.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Apprentice
Member # 4123
Profile #56
Whatever the latest version of mac osX is currently. 10.3.3 at the moment I believe. I'm pretty sure the hardware is fairly evenly matched. The difference for me is the os. I like the way it looks, the way it operates, the way I almost have to TRY to crash it. Other than some hangs when you suddenly disconnect it from your LAN that sometimes happen (that have been mostly fixed) it is SOLID. Plus I like poking around in Unix.

To me, macs are the luxury cars of the computing world. You pay more, you have a harder time finding someone to fix it if it DOES break, and accessories can be harder to find. But if you have the money and the know how, its a smooth ride with minimal effort (and a speedy one when needed). And if you don't have the know how to fix computers when the break, apple's tech support might be good, I really don't know. Find a CompUSA, they'll point you to someone. Except to play a few games that aren't out for macs, the isn't any reason that I can think of that I would want to use windows. As for Linux, I like macs better. A nice, relatively simple interface, sitting on a powerful and secure FreeBSD Unix core. I can be geeky or lazy depending on my mood.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #57
OS X is not Unix. It is OpenSTEP with Mac compatibility and some shiny widgets. If I was a SysV geek, you'd be hanging from the highest tree by now.

[ Monday, March 29, 2004 17:25: Message edited by: Maaya ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #58
Actually, Windows XP doesn't crash very much, and when it does, it's usually due to another program or the user doing something stupid, not the OS. I will admit that macs have better video editing capabilities, but for me, it's all about game support (Which i've noticed macs are starting to lack.) and upgradeability.
How easily can you upgrade a Mac? Is it like in Windows, where you just put in the PCI/AGP/ISA card, Hard Drive, RAM, etc... and install the drivers, or is it more difiicult, or what?

Macs Crash sometimes when you disconnect from a LAN?! Under WinXP you can disconnect and reconnect all you want with no problems.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #59
Just stay cool and utter no inflamatory statements, or the topic gets it.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #60
I've used PC's that crashed while I logged in. Any computer has almost limitless potential to be awful if it's used wrong. My Mac has no network problems at all, but I could easily manufacture some with a bit of work. A PC user could do the same.

?Alorael, who wouldn't want to rate any system on its anti-idiot capabilities. Some people really just aren't cut out for computer use.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
How easily can you upgrade a Mac? Is it like in Windows, where you just put in the PCI/AGP/ISA card, Hard Drive, RAM, etc... and install the drivers, or is it more difiicult, or what?
With a Mac, you often don't even need to install the drivers (although this is less true than it used to be, thanks to the proliferation of third-party hardware.)

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #62
From a software viewpoint, OS X is by far superior to Windows XP. It is rapidly becoming the programmer's platform of choice, especially amongst university professors that can afford beefy G5s.

However, the Programming I lecturer (Dr Andrew Rock - we call him The Rock) at my university uses an 800MHz G3 iBook as his waltzing computer (or so they call it). It's basically the computer he takes to tutorials, plugs into the projector and shows everyone what to do on.

The Programming II lecturer also uses one (Dr Dennis Hardie - we call him The Hard Place).

As does the Programming III lecturer (Don Abel - we call him The Don, and yes, his office is between The Rock and The Hard Place).

The reason the Macintosh platform is such a delight to program on is mostly because it's all made by one company. Quality control is pretty damn easy when you know exactly what's going on at any given time by any one of your departments. The second reason (which is almost certainly more important than the first) is that the thing runs on top of the rock solid Darwin layer.

Apple used to be a computer company for people interested in the simpler things in life. Now it offers an array of features way beyond most programmer's dreams - and that F11 thing just looks SO DAMN cute! Seriously though, when you're working on a rotten great big project, and you've got a dozen source or header file windows open and you want to have a quick look at all of them, the new Exposé function has pretty much revolutionised that.

Md.
Apprentice
Member # 3094
Profile Homepage #63
Anyone who thinks Windows is easier or at least as easy to use as Mac OS X to do anything other than basic crap is on crack.

Windows XP is just a complicated mess of crap. Sure it is easy to simple things on it.. it is easy to do those same things on Linux.. or whatever platform..

Mac's just work. I have plenty of experience using both and setting up networks with both.. which is no cup of tea on a PC box...

and to the guy that says you pay soo much more for Apple products.. who gives a ****... you pay for quality.. and funny thing is Apple is still the only computer company that can sell a computer with a %30 profit margin.

I could go buy a Piece of crap PC for $500.. so what.. people buy macs because stuff works... and they last.

I think most PC users are just jealous of the whole package.

the only reason to even buy a PC.. and I mean the only reason is for the games.. there is simply no other reason.

what can you do with windows you can do on a mac? or linux for that matter..

I rest my case...

and also, about the games coming out on the mac first and it being good to weed out the "bugs"... funny.. by the 8th version of a game using the same damn engine you'd think there wouldn't be any major bugs anymore.. crazy.

--------------------
My game will be out soon!...... no really it will!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Mac's just work. I have plenty of experience using both and setting up networks with both.. which is no cup of tea on a PC box...
It's simple to setup a windows network.If you use XP, then just run the NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. On a non-XP machine, just set your workgroup, IP address (which can be auto-assigned), tell it to use windows login to get on the network, and restart. The networking is good enough that you can connect to the same network with two different connection types (we had FireWire to some computers, and Ethernet to all of them once) The only windows I've known to have networking problems is ME, which is the worst OS ever.

On an XP machine, sometimes you don't even have to install the drivers (depending on the age of the device). I plugged in my monitor, and it found the same drivers that came on the disk (without the disk in the drive), and automatically installed them. (On RAM, hard drives, floppy drives, and optical drives, you don't even need drivers)
Also, Microsoft provides a driver update service at their. It's not too bad either (it even found drivers for my UPS)

Also, if Macs are so good, then why do I never see them in stores. Every time I go to Best Buy or Circuit City, I don't see any Macs, Mac Upgrades, or Mac operating systems?
And having multiple comapanies produce parts for the same thing is good because of competition. Competion causes companies to work harder to make better products at lower prices, which benefits the end user.

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 07:05: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #65
I've had four compaqs for my computers (and a Gateway, but that was 50 mhz and 8 MB RAM, so it doesn't count), and they've all been great. I used one of those machines for four years, after my dad used it for three years. I never have any problems, networking's a breeze, etc, etc.

Furthermore, some people really don't have 2000 bucks to spend on a computer. Sometimes 400's the limit, and it's all that's necessary for word processing and email.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Macs Crash sometimes when you disconnect from a LAN?! Under WinXP you can disconnect and reconnect all you want with no problems.
Never happened to me. I use a powerbook, so I get on/off LANs all the time.

There are more idiots than smart people in the world, right?

There are more people who use Windows than people who use Macs, right?

I rest my case.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #67
You don't see Macs in stores because Macs are, for the most part, only sold by licensed Apple retailers.

And sometimes, standardisation is better than competition. I'd rather have a computer that's expensive due to lack of competition but that works well, to one where all the parts are at a competitive price but the thing crashes all the time due to hardware incompatibilities. Competition in the computer industry is like competition in the road-building industry: if half the roads in a city require you to drive on the left side of the road and half the roads require you to drive on the right, there are going to be a lot of crashes.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #68
I'm sick of Mackers claiming that "you pay for quality" and that Macs are the premier platform for whatever media thing.

This is what you really mean.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #69
Eldibs - I don't know what Circuit City and Best Buy you go to, but all of them nearby me have Apple sections.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3094
Profile Homepage #70
Eldibs, I speak from experience. The network wizard is fine and dandy when you want to gloss over a lot of details, which just about every single 'wizard' does.. not to mention it makes a total mess of everything.

The wizards in windows should be done away with.

I want a mac to connect to a DHCP server, 1 click it's done. no hassle things are fine. no wizard needed.

I do not hate PC's in the least.. i just hate windows. The only good PC I have ever used.. and I do mean the only one.. was the one my dad and I built way back in the day..

It surprise surprise cost just as much as a new mac.

Sir Motrax, Apple computers are not marketed towards to person that only has $400 dollars to spend on a computer, cheap $400 PC's are and they serve their purpose fine. So yes, those people don't have $2000 but they also are not the people that would buy a mac.

one last thing: "On an XP machine, sometimes you don't even have to install the drivers (depending on the age of the device). I plugged in my monitor, and it found the same drivers that came on the disk (without the disk in the drive), and automatically installed them."

no computer, be it a $400 eMachine or a $4000 G5 should ever require you to install drivers for your monitor in this day and age to get it working. (3D graphics drivers and 2D acceleration via that graphics card notwithstanding..)

I am a programmer with a fair number of years of experience, take my word for it when I say macs are generally a better investment for most people than a PC... it's the 30% margin apple maintains that keeps people away.

and Maaya, macs are of higher quality in parts. build your own PC and you'll see where all the money goes when you buy the proper components.

I rest my case. attack at will I have my shields up.

--------------------
My game will be out soon!...... no really it will!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #71
There are comparable Macs available for between $600-$800. The high-end for Macs and PCs both cost about the same.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #72
Loki, those computers aren't Macs or PCs.
FLEX YOUR LOSING MUSCLES! THEY ARE CLEARLY THE MIGHTIEST YOU HAVE

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 17:29: Message edited by: Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #73
omg he's so kewl isnt he

Many of the stores near me use Macs in plain view - probably because they look better, but hey. It's nice to see.

Does anyone know if Apple has some kind of monopoly on Hollywood computers, or something like that? I see so many Macs in movies today, so many more than you would in real life... and comics, too. Anyone ever noticed that? Most comic characters have Macs, or Mac spin-offs. What's up with that?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #74
Because artists have been pulled into Steve Jobs' masturbatory fantasy that Macs are the "creative" person's computer.

--------------------

Pages