Mac or PC?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac or PC?
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #75
quote:
Does anyone know if Apple has some kind of monopoly on Hollywood computers
As far as I know - and my source was rather reliable - Hollywood uses Linux.

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 21:18: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #76
no computer, be it a $400 eMachine or a $4000 G5 should ever require you to install drivers for your monitor in this day and age to get it working

I know that. the drivers are there to keep the monitor from going over the Refresh Rate/ Resolution Limit (well, at least on my comp.)
It also did the auto install driver thing for a digital camera, a video card, and a network card. The only things on the computer that it didn't auto-install was the GeForce FX, the Audigy sound card, and the UPS, and that's because they were all released after WinXP.

Oh, and about the there being more idiots than smart people, and there being more windows users than mac users, well if 5,000,000,000 Chinamen cant be wrong about tea and rice, then 5,000,000 Windows users can't be wrong. The same principle is applied in Democracy. The majority is usually correct.

I rest MY case.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

A really cool flash movie about subliminal messages
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #77
Some people are such freaks to discriminate the users of other computers.
Well, Flying axe is such freak.

quote:
DIE PC USERS!!!!!!!!!!

MACS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO WOULD WANT A PC?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

PC=PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:They obviously have a rude word filter so i'll change **** to junk

PC=Personal computer. A mac is also a personal computer.

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 22:43: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #78
Edit : Mercy, milord! Spare me! Please, I beg you, do not banish me! [/sarcasm]

Sorry, the browser said the message could not be delivered or something, for some reason. So I tried again, and realised that I misreaded it.

[ Thursday, April 08, 2004 07:37: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #79
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Oh, and about the there being more idiots than smart people, and there being more windows users than mac users, well if 5,000,000,000 Chinamen cant be wrong about tea and rice, then 5,000,000 Windows users can't be wrong. The same principle is applied in Democracy. The majority is usually correct.

I rest MY case.

Ah well, perhaps its just my pessimistic view that most people are stupid. I don't actually think that every Mac user is smart (look at me, for example) or that every Windows user is dumb. I just thought I'd introduce that bit of logic ("More stupid people than smart people, more Windows users than Mac users") but it only works for people as pessimistic as I.

No 'fense to Windows users. The whole argument is pretty much futile if neither side is willing to listen, and most people here (such as me) are too hooked on what they're using to make a switch.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #80
Even assuming that there are both more Windows users than Macintosh users and more stupid people than smart people, these assumptions are still unrelated.

From this, I could say that you have less of a chance to be a smart Mac user than a smart Windows user, and I'd be right. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #81
True, although I have heard of certain survey results claiming that, on average, Mac users tend to be generally more educated than PC users. That may well be just a matter of cost, though, as Macs tend to be more expensive, and richer families tend to be more capable of obtaining a high-quality education for their children.

I don't pretend that Macs are intrinsically superior to PCs in any manner, or even that the price difference between the two platforms is indicative of their relative worth. However, a good many longtime Mac users are quite willing to shell out a bit more cash simply in order to stick with the platform with which they are most comfortable. I am one such Mac user.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #82
You've stumbled into a nest of vipers. Because if that is true, you should speedily change your OS to show some solidarity. Or do you support the fact that only the rich can pay for education?

--------------------
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by ef:

You've stumbled into a nest of vipers. Because if that is true, you should speedily change your OS to show some solidarity. Or do you support the fact that only the rich can pay for education?
"Support" it? No, I certainly don't believe that it's the way things ought to be. I'm a Communist at heart, as evidenced by my -8, +2 on the Political Compass. Being a born pessimist, though, I highly doubt that such inequalities will ever be eliminated in the U.S. Switching to a PC to force Apple to lower prices would only work if tens of thousands of other Mac users were willing to follow me in doing so. Not only do I lack the charisma and influence to begin such a movement, I don't quite care enough about this issue (or any other issue, for that matter) to bother putting in all that time, money, and energy. I used to think of myself as an idealist, a person who would always strive to right wrongs, in any way he could. That was before I lost any semblance of drive in life, and allowed myself to accept my current fate- a lifetime of passivity and ineffectuality. I don't like to see inequality in the world, but I've allowed myself to accept its presence.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

no computer, be it a $400 eMachine or a $4000 G5 should ever require you to install drivers for your monitor in this day and age to get it working

I know that. the drivers are there to keep the monitor from going over the Refresh Rate/ Resolution Limit (well, at least on my comp.)
It also did the auto install driver thing for a digital camera, a video card, and a network card. The only things on the computer that it didn't auto-install was the GeForce FX, the Audigy sound card, and the UPS, and that's because they were all released after WinXP.

I rest MY case.

?... ?? ... ????!?!? Since when were there FIVE BILLION Chinese males in this world? I mean COME ON! There are only about six and a half billion people in TOTAL! I think that you mean that there are about... one billion Chinese nationals in this world.

Also... that is a case? (in a silly voice) "The majority is usually correct." For a start it's ARE usually. Secondly the majority are generally idiots, believing what they get told because they're the sort that don't want to know the truth because it might upset their perfect world. Pfaugh. Pfaugh I say to your case.
I bid you good day.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #85
1/3 of the world consists of Chinese people, so that would actually be around 2 billion.

Windows has Visual Basic, and that's all I need.

[ Friday, April 09, 2004 16:21: Message edited by: Fresh ]

--------------------
Chance Forums
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #86
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

[Also... that is a case? (in a silly voice) "The majority is usually correct." For a start it's ARE usually.
The term "majority" is much like the term "everyone," as both are singular, collective nouns. Thus, such statements as, "the majority is right" or "the majority speaks" are grammatically correct. It's quite true, though, that Eldibs's case is faulty logic at best, and every bit as poor as Eldiran's logic in his earlier post.

All this nonsense has gone on for quite enough time. Yaoi, anyone?

--------------------
Stughalf

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #87
Visual Basic is a huge, festering blemish on the face of computer programming. It's worse than Java.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #88
Sometimes I get very stressed by computers (and angry specially when I lose in some action games).
So I just punch the notebook (hard disk does not always like that).

Which is the more robust : mac or PC ?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #89
They're both pretty tough. Just don't try it with a desktop.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #90
The number of chinese nationals is in fact around 1200-1400 million, not the 2 billion and 1 billion suggested. Hurrah for the census!! Suprisingly their Gross Domestic Product has multiplied by 12x in the last 20 years. Impresive, i think.
Oh, and about the whole Mac vs. PC thing, get over it. Let them use their rubbish computer, it means there are more for you.
(THIS APPLIES TO BOTH MAC AND PC)

--------------------
BOAC, youll know if you click...
Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #91
> THIS APPLIES TO BOTH MAC AND PC
Yes, Commodore 64 was the best one IMAGE(biggrin2.gif)
Warrior
Member # 1451
Profile Homepage #92
MACs are for people who dont care about problem solving and using their brain.
many people learnt to handle huge problems through using PCs with MS Windows installed.
anyone who had a problem like: 'goddammit why doenst this card/joystick/monitor/keybord/mouse work the way it should' and was able to solve it must have used his brain or the brains of another.
Der MACs are fer crybabys.

--------------------
I am pleased to make contact with your entities.
: http://cku1d19.w.interia.pl :
!!Britney Spears/ Fanart/ Hentai Shrine!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #93
I prefer to save my brain for useful tasks.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Maaya:

Visual Basic is a huge, festering blemish on the face of computer programming. It's worse than Java.
For someone who runs Solaris, you don't have much love for Sun's pet language!

Md.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #95
Just because I have used Solaris in the past doesn't mean I like it or Sun. :-p

Java isn't terrible, but it's a pity that the only two current viable VMs are JVM and .Net, only the latter of which has a semblance of a Free implementation, and both of which suck. I'm crossing my fingers for Parrot.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #96
quote:
I am a slave to bill gates....
He and his wife keep me chained up in the closet. Someone please save me...

I use a PC, not because I think they are better than Macs, but just because its what I'm used to. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses, and saying one is a piece of crap really reflects on your intelligence.

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
?... ?? ... ????!?!? Since when were there FIVE BILLION Chinese males in this world? I mean COME ON! There are only about six and a half billion people in TOTAL! I think that you mean that there are about... one billion Chinese nationals in this world.

Also... that is a case? (in a silly voice) "The majority is usually correct." For a start it's ARE usually. Secondly the majority are generally idiots, believing what they get told because they're the sort that don't want to know the truth because it might upset their perfect world. Pfaugh. Pfaugh I say to your case.
I bid you good day.
1. About the 5 billion people in china, that was an over-exaggeration (it's a bad habit of mine)
2. That's case enough to found a 300 year-old government on (ever been to a little place called America?).

Also, windows machines teach you to work around problems, or solve them altogether, and it creates a whole lot of jobs in tech support and pc repair. If windows died, so would a lot of jobs because nobody would need their computers repaired.

I say Pfaugh to your Pfaugh-ing of my case.

[ Friday, April 16, 2004 10:36: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

A really cool flash movie about subliminal messages
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #98
I would much prefer that there are no computer repairmen than there are computers that need to be repaired. If one is skilled enough to repair computers, they could probably get another job, I think. If computers weren't originally made with problems, people wouldn't become tech supporters for them in the first place. I would also prefer to learn to solve problems by other ways rather than tinkering with my computer when I need a paper printed by the next day and the computer breaks down.

I also don't think America is impressive enough for you to prove your point by it. Even if it is the best country in the world, it is still full of corruption, waste, stupidity, and hatred.

Don't think I'm just criticizing someone else's country; it's mine, too. I'm American. The majority is ignorant; this is why there are so many problems in the world.

Either way, though, this argument is pretty much futile.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
If windows died, so would a lot of jobs because nobody would need their computers repaired.
Nobody? So macs NEVER break down? I find that hard to believe.

Your arguments might be more convincing if you didn't make such sweeping statements.

On the mac versus windows debate - I don't think these threads result in a lot of people running out to buy the other flavour of computer. This is probably because most of us have invested in software that is specific to the type of machine we currently have.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00

Pages