Who cares anymore. Not me.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who cares anymore. Not me.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
Why bother trying to talk sense to people when their ears are full of wax and they don't listen anyway? IMAGE(Who cares anymore Not me_files/frown.gif)IMAGE(Who cares anymore Not me_files/rolleyes.gif)

It's like trying to sell Bush to a country that's never heard of him.

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 22:15: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #1
Your going away? No!!! Come back immediatly!! I am sure that everyone here will miss you...........

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #2
I really doubt that anyone would miss me. I am just another faceless nobody at the site who had been having lots of fun in RPs. And from the insults I have been reading, apparently I am posting with no regard for the ideas of others in RPs and I use too much detail in setting a scene.

So I have to say it again. Who will miss me on this site? From the comments I have been getting lately, I am just another Zephyr.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #3
Whatever you say.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #4
I don't know who insulted you, but I just wanna say that I am NOT one of those.
I seriously don't think you should leave, I'm one of those people who supports you to the fullest extent!
Actually you are one of my favorite members!
If those guys insults are based on the fact that you are gay, even indirect, then those people can leave, not you!
Please stay, there are still people supporting you out here! We ARE gonna miss you! IMAGE(Who cares anymore Not me_files/frown.gif)
And the so called "Unnecessary details" is BS!
What’s wrong with details?
I think details are a bonus!

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 00:50: Message edited by: Order of the Black Griffon ]

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
Aren't you taking things a bit far? I hate to direct accusations at you even as you announce your departure, but it seems to me that you have been extremely hypersensitive in your time here. Just because a member or two criticize your writing style in RPs, this does not automatically indicate that everyone here wants you gone. You are certainly not nearly as universally disliked as so many other members, yet many of those members continue to post in a regular fashion, sucking up criticisms and ignoring attacks. I feel that you would do well to do the same, rather than taking the slightest bit of criticism directed at you as a sign that there is a sort of cumulative hostility against you on these boards.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #6
If everybody here would leave at the drop of a handful of insults this place would be dead already. Take a deep breath, chew some brimstone and return fire.

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Apprentice
Member # 3936
Profile Homepage #7
On the other hand, to "return fire" is in most cases what one should not do. Leaving is not a a good approach to flame fests, but nor is flaming back.

I think I see the problem: MSW, you have good writing skills, but there are additional skills needed for RPing well — mainly in the area of communication and teamwork (possessed by few on these boards). I am certain that acquiring and honing those skills is a matter of practice and receiving constructive criticism. This board sports a diversity of members, a few of whom will be glad to offer advice, many more of whom will be glad to flame you to smithereens for making mistakes.

I think that you would get a better proportion of constructive advice at Polaris, because there is a more quiet atmosphere with less members. With less of a compulsion to haste the RP along, there is less time pressure and more opportunity to learn. You could visit the board some day to see what I mean.

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 03:06: Message edited by: T3h Invisible n00b ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #8
Dear Mr. Holmes,

I am completely flabbergasted at your emotional announcement of your intention to leave this lively and inspiring community. Could it be that there is just a misunderstanding?

In other spiritual habitats, I myself have felt similar to what you communicate at the moment: that I had invested much more emotional energy than the other group members could appreciate or even notice because - as I realized in hindsight - I had not been listening to them. The "tune" I was "singing" may have been an artitically magnificient work of art but it was out of tune with the others.

I later found out that listening and understanding what the others mean takes much more effort and intelligence than shouting against the wind with ears wide shut - and Sherlock Holmes is a role model to me in the art of listening.

On this board, I have already received so much of friendly advice - even before taking part in any play-by-post-RPing - that I feel like composing a HOW-TO-RP for beginners.
May I ask whether you could contribute some of your experience - before you carry out your threat? Please!

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #9
All I see in this topic is MSW trying to elicit pleads for him to stay. I never had a particular problem with you MSW, but I do have a problem with people who post dramatic exits wailing about how everyone is out to get them.

We all have much better things to do with our time.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #10
Mr. Holmes, I've never spoken to you in my life (before), but I think I'd prefer if you stayed.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
MSW, you can't survive on Spiderweb if you can't take insults lightly. That said, it is obvious that I am one of those to whom you are refering. Why? Because I attempted to help you roleplay better, in a non-offensive manner. Maybe Morgan is right, and maybe not, btu really, if you can't take a bit of constructive criticism, you're never going to improve in anything. I'm not just talking about RPs; constructive criticism is a good way to quickly improve oneself, and should be taken as an attempt to help you, not a flaming insult. You will receive plenty of it in your lifetime, and you'd better learn to take it and use it.

If you want to leave, then by all means, do so; I'm not going to stop you. I've left Spiderweb once or twice, myself, but I always come back. It's unfortunate that you've chosen to leave at the beginning of an RP, because the more roleplayers, the better, but I'm sure there are others. I'm not going to beg you to stay, anyway, so if you're really going, goodbye, and I hope that you come back once you've learned to curb your ego and make use of constructive criticism.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #12
I don't know what happened, but it must've been some bad insults if it caused someone to leave. I hope those people out there are ashamed of themselves!

I don't know you, and I haven't seen any of your RPing, but you shouldn't leave because people have insulted you. Don't give them the satisfaction!

On another note: Where is this RP? I might have a look

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

MSW, you can't survive on Spiderweb if you can't take insults lightly.
Nor in the real life, I would just like to point out. Life is hard and kicking you in the arse every now and then. Just get over it.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #14
Dear Mr. Morgan,
Maybe the following questions are worthwhile to consider instead:

Assume I want to signal my care for others - without intruding, patronizing nor exhausting anybody, e.g. in order to earn the respect of my sophisticated RP-partners and to put them into a cooperative mood - actually that is the case right now.
How would I accomplish this with minimal means in an RP without slowing down the action?

Could it be that such a signal is what some sophisticated fellow RPers have been missing from certain posts in the past and that the less subliminal venting of their disappointment is what has been perceived as picking at the receiving end - causing intolerable stress and this threa(d/t)?

P.S.
Hey, all you Gurus, Wise Men and Ladies who read this.
Is there any emergency etiquette procedure to reestablish the feeling of mutual respect for those concerned? Please!

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 08:45: Message edited by: Your Fellow Procrastinator ]

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
TGM, I implied that later in my post...

YKWTI, it's the Prohibition RP.

Procrastinator, how can you help someone get better if they're unwilling to accept constructive criticism? "Sherlock, maybe you should try this." "Leave my style alone!" "But it would make you a better RPer if you tried -" "Are you saying I'm not perfect? Other people think I'm good, as do I, so leave me alone!" ...It's not easy.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #16
I don't really have an opinion of you, but I think you should stay. You're over-reacting.

MSW is right, some people here are a little nitpicky about their RPs. Of course, it's not up to me to decide what's good or bad, but honestly people, MSW writes hugely better than many others. Everyone can't be a natural poet but, nontheless, sometimes you just have to get along.

And, though Morgan has a point about the "begging for pity business", I don't see why MSW shouldn't be allowed to post a "I'm leaving" topic, since everybody else does it.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #17
And you don't see the problem with it, if everybody does it, Ironweed?

quote:
Dear Mr. Morgan
I love this guy IMAGE(Who cares anymore Not me_files/tongue.gif) .

Addressing your points, I try to steer clear of RPs for the most part - the annoying, talentless, grammar deficient newbies mostly outweigh the decent RPers. Even when an RP does have a decent amount of good writing going on, it's usually torn apart from people trying to take control of it.

However, I think positive comments can be just as helpful as constructive criticism.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #18
Davy, your point?

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #19
I've always wondered why, when somebody leaves, they have to make some big topic about it. It'd be nice just to drift away.

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #20
The heck with it. My philosophy and attempt for justice falls on silent ears. Like the message of love and respect promoted by Hitler.

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 22:17: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #21
"If you find that to be constructive and not at all insulting"

Seriously, I do think you're asking a bit much. You're most likely to find advice that is both constructive and insulting. I think both Sir David's and Arancayatar's criticism is partly constructive even if their tone is negative.
I do think you need to learn to deal with that.

Though I dont think anyone else is bothered as much by your "lack of adaptation to the 'ideal' RP Style" as you yourself are.
If people criticise your RPing, you simply do your best to adapt, and if that isnt good enough for them, that's their problem, no need to blow it out of proportion. (It's Role *Playing* ffs)

(My first Post in this thread was not a call for MSW to start a flame war, If you come up against feedback you dont agree with you can 'fire' back an argument.)

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #22
Emscape, do you go by any other moniker? I don't recognize your current one, or your signature, but the member number and post count make me think that I should...

Aran, could I schedule an appointment sometime soon? I don't see how "for God's sake" and "most of that post was unneccesary", combined with a bit of sarcasm, are insulting enough to cause a member to leave, so I guess I need to see a Psychiatrist.

MSW, WTH? Of course Arancaytar took a sarcastic tone; this is Spiderweb, not preschool, for God's - oh, wait, never mind. Yes, he did criticize you, in a slightly amusing way. Take that as an insult if you will, but there was a good suggestion tucked away in it, and you really should be able to take the rest. Also,
quote:
Until then, I will consider it an insult.
sounds almost like an ultimatum. Does such a little thing really matter that much to you? Take the helpful part and ignore the rest, if you have to. It's not like we've been sending you death threats...

[ Thursday, February 19, 2004 13:56: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #23
S.H., you deleted your posts in Serendipity City. Too bad, I could immediatly tell you, if the nasty critics have had any reason or not, my taste of quality is absolute.

Never take insults personally, they do it with every newby, because they like to be monsters. It's a sport - hit back!

See, so many people try to convince you to stay. Aren't that enough caress units to play on? Or to start with an own RP?

))
IMAGE(Who cares anymore Not me_files/smile.gif)
%)))>>
We love scenes with details

--------------------
site of the month:
about an australian artist
who is a real cyborg
- supported by BURMA SHAVE
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #24
Write a fuggin' book, for chrissakes.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages