THE IRON SALTIRE CHEF CHALLENGES YOU, PART ONE

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: THE IRON SALTIRE CHEF CHALLENGES YOU, PART ONE
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #100
Yeah, I love plain rice too. I generally prefer Chinese rice to Indian rice, too, when it's not plain. And pizza was invented in New York... and for that matter, so were potato chips; in my hometown, in fact...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #101
Stughalf, you've clearly never had chimichangas before. I don't eat much with sour cream, but it goes well with fried products.

When I make rice, I will melt either butter and cheese or meat and cheese over it. Mm, physical and sexual abuse of animals. ^_^

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #102
Pizza and spinach? In the same sentence? Sounds really good! Rice is also good with something else: (kids, dont try this at home, unless you know what you're doing)

1. rice
2. seaweed
3. raw tuna

Place seaweed on bamboo sushi roller. Place rice on seaweed. Place tuna on rice. Roll. Cut. Recommended: dip in soy sauce.
Vuala! Sushi!
(Now, kids, remember: raw meet can be very, very dangerous if not certified. Do not eat meat raw if kept longer than three days. Have fun now, kids!) ;)

--------------------
No monkeyin' around at Chance :p

And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #103
Kids...kids?...kids!? ...To self: calm down and try not to flame...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #104
WE FIND THAT ANYTHING TASTES BETTER WITH

SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE!

COVER ALL OF YOUR FOODSTUFFS WITH

SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE!

SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE

FEEDS THE POOR!!!!

DISTRIBUTED BY HUY FONG FOODS, INC.

HUYFONG.COM
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #105
Woah, JK, What's the name? I was merely making a jest! And I wasnt targeting you.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #106
I prefer to be called Reality Corp. or RC for short. You gotta start learning these moniker things.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #107
IMAGE(http://www.battle.net/war3/images/undead/units/animations/ghoul.gif) IMAGE(http://www.battle.net/war3/images/undead/units/portraits/ghoul.gif)

ME EAT DEAD PEOPLE
NO GUTS, NO GORY

ok so i don't eat dead people but instead i eat dead animals every day :P

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 20:46: Message edited by: Bimillenial Wise Man ]

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #108
RC it is then! Any other important "nicknames" I should know about? (mine has become "Apolly", it seems, which sounds too much like a girl, because people are too lazy to type "on" at the end of it)

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #109
TM is important to know, see if you can pick out who it is.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #110
I have seen "TM" many places but was never able to figure out who it was! Anything else?

--------------------

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #111
don't remember me :P

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #112
hay guys whats a ™

ps whats a me

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #113
David, New York may have invented and perfected thin-crust pizza, but for stuffed pizza or deep dish, you have to come to Chicago. You can't claim to even know what stuffed pizza is if you've never tasted Chicago's.

And I'm glad I have a cast-iron stomach, TM. Your best efforts shall prove to be futile. ;)

I also stand by my claim that Indian cooking, and only Indian cooking, utilizes rice correctly. I have tried many Asian and Mexican preparations involving rice, and have found every single one to be thoroughly revolting. :P

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 22:46: Message edited by: Stughalf ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #114
I love Mexican rice. The Thai also use rice really well. Then again, I'm also a huge fan of Indian food. It's usually so flavorful that you don't need meat to give it substance.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #115
Agree with Drakey. Vegetarian food is typically okay, but Indian food is actually good. The only non-Indian vegetarian dish I've really liked is vegetarian chili, and that because it's so spicy you really don't know what exactly you're eating. :P
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #116
Yeah, South American vegetarian chili is really good too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 734
Profile #117
Ko chu jung (sp?) and rice! mmmm ko chu Jung or how ever its spelled is a Korean hot sauce/paste.

Chorrizo & eggs makes the best scrambled eggs. Heat the chorrizo chunks in the pan until rendered, once the sausage has rendered add well beaten eggs. salt to taste. cook like scrambled eggs enjoy!

And of course the one and only perfect food chocolate cheesecake!!!!

In all fairness I have to credit the food network for the next two recipes. I use both. Love both. I got the basic recipes online and play with them every time. I usually at least double the vanilla & use real bourbon vanilla extract or bourbon vanilla beans if I can get them.

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 orange, zested
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I prefer ghiradelli)
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sour cream
semi-sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar and mix well. Press onto bottom of springform pan and bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, butter the sides of the pan.

Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, zests and vanilla and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour & cocoa powder then the eggs and yolks 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and bake for 1 hour more. Transfer cake to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate cake overnight. Melt chocolate over double boiler. dizzle over cheesecake. chill till chocolate is set.

And last but not least the long awaited ice cream recipe I usually make a half batch it works both ways.

10 cups heavy cream
5 cups whole milk
Pinch salt
3 cups sugar
3 vanilla beans
24 large egg yolks

Variations:
Chocolate-Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream:
3/4 cup whole milk
16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped in chunks

Strawberry Cheese Cake Ice Cream:
1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves, no sugar added
1/2 frozen strawberry cheesecake, cut in large chunks
10 large fresh strawberries, halved

To make the vanilla ice cream: Combine the cream, milk, salt, and 2 cups of the sugar in a large pot. Split the vanilla beans down the middle lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a paring knife; add them to the pot and toss in the pods for added flavor. Place the cream mixture over medium heat, and bring up to a simmer; stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. Ideally, the temperature should reach 175 degrees F (just below scalding) for a smooth-textured ice cream; this should take about 15 minutes. Shut off the heat, cover the pot, and allow the cream mixture to steep for 15 minutes to further infuse the vanilla flavor.
In the meantime, combine the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and blend them lightly with a wire whisk. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup of sugar and continue to whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved and the eggs are thick and pale yellow; about 6 minutes.

Using a large ladle or measuring cup, temper the eggs by gradually whisking in about 4 cups of the hot cream mixture. Return this back to the rest of the cream in the saucepan and turn the heat to medium-low. Stir constantly until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of a spoon when you run your finger across it, about 10 to 12 minutes (do not let boil.)

Pour the vanilla custard through a fine strainer and chill completely in a sink full of ice, stirring here and there; this should take about 1 hour. Ideally, let the ice cream base "age" overnight in the refrigerator before churning in an ice cream maker to improve the flavor and texture of the final product – but it is still good if you decide to process it right away. Divide the ice cream into quarts and churn each in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. When done, the ice cream will be the consistency of "soft serve." To harden the ice cream fully, freeze in plastic covered containers.

To make the Chocolate-Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream: Heat 3/4 up of milk in a pot over medium-low heat. Add 12 ounces of the chopped chocolate and stir until completely melted. Pour 1 quart of the strained hot vanilla ice cream base into the melted chocolate and stir until very well incorporated. Chill and process as directed in the master recipe. Fold in the remaining 4 ounces of chopped chocolate after churning while the ice cream is in the "soft-serve" stage. Churn another 1 to 2 minutes just until combined.

To make the Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream: Mix the strawberry preserves into the vanilla custard just before you start churning in the ice cream maker. Add the pieces of strawberry cheesecake and fresh strawberries after churning while the ice cream is in the "soft-serve" stage. Continue to churn for an additional 5 minutes or until combined but still chunky.

Play with it. Just add any flavorings to the basic recipe when its sort of soft set. Or to the hot custard for the liquid to semi liquid flavoring to change it to chocolate, strawberry, etc.

My favorite is to stir in peanut butter and chopped reeses peanutbutter cups at the soft serve stage.

Caramel sauce and chocolate chips at soft serve stage works great too.

--------------------
Instant Human-Just add liberal doses of Coffee.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #118
Spanish rice is really, really delicious, if you do it right. If you do it wrong, it's just hideously bland.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #119
I am eating canned refried beans well-drenched in Sriracha. Now that's what I call a meal.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #120
whats a shiracha

PS- Mm. Leftover potstickers. ^_^ My mother is preparing cappulati (and I KNOW I misspelled that) for Xmas. Has anyone here tried Manicotti (I misspelled that as well) with cappulati filling?

--------------------

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #121
IMAGE(http://huyfong.com/images/sriracha.jpg)

From HUY FONG FOODS, INC.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #122
It truly is magnificent stuff. Although I usually prefer it with fries, not beans.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Warrior
Member # 734
Profile #123
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a variety/brand of Thai chili sauce???

--------------------
Instant Human-Just add liberal doses of Coffee.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #124
I prefer Chinese to Japanese, and Japanese to Indian. But I love those Japanese food bar type things... where the chef prepares the food right in front of you... call me easily amused, but...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages