Geneforge Avernum link?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge Avernum link?
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #0
I just started playing Avernum 5 when the idea came to me. the Trogovites (or how ever u spell it) are those that dont believe in shaping, and Avernum doesnt use it. Maybe the Trogovites win in the last geneforge and create the Empire? What does everyone else think about this???
Apprentice
Member # 10435
Profile #1
*Sigh* So how many fyoras and serviles did you encounter in Avernum/Exile?

And why exactly do you think that the Trakovites form the empire?
It doesn't really seem like their style.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #2
Large Lizards and goblins obviously have no resemblance to fyoras and serviles =) Evolution! Also, with the shapers gone, how could they make more fyora's when it says that they make them so they cant reproduce???

Edit: Why wouldn't the Trakovites make an empire, power is fun!

[ Tuesday, December 18, 2007 15:05: Message edited by: Txgangsta ]
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
Power is what they want to avoid.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #4
Once again we run into the concept of Averforge... Check the Code of Community, there is something about it in there.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #5
Ok, maybe the Trakovites don't make the empire, but they still could be the ones that take out the shapers. Also, its not Averforge, Its Generum. Geneforge came first =)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #6
No, Avernum was the first series, besides Exile.

--------------------
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #7
Starwars 4,5 and 6 were first too. =)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
The only connection between the two is that Jeff got lazy and imported the Geneforge engine and graphics when he made Avernum 4.

I'm waiting for the new game after Avernum 6 so we can have a new discussion on which world it's more closely related to. *sarcasm*
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #9
quote:
Starwars 4,5 and 6 were first too.
Don't twist my words.

--------------------
I like this image
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Exile shot first?

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Apprentice
Member # 7802
Profile #11
More interesting link would seem to be in Nethergate Resurrection the Areana were supposedly shaped or magically bred to be a watchdog of sorts and escaped the lab. Can't remember the exact text of it, was written on the webs right next to the Wild Hunt spell or something. But, on the other hand I don't think there are any spiders in Geneforge are there? It was a weird world crossover for him to put in. I mean nobody is noticeably doing magic breeding in Nethergate, but we have an entire race of magically bred spiders.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #12
Do we still do troll of the month?

But seriously, there is actually some sneaky evidence lying around that coinnects Avernum to Geneforge. No really I mean it. I'm not joking.

--------------------
The one and only.
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #13
There are plenty of spiders in geneforge. The clawbugs! Most of the creatures are probably just repeated in both because they're cool and work for both games, but still...
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #14
Mate, I think you're grasping at straws, honestly. There are likely to be similarities between the games. This is a completely natural phenomenon, as the games are all made by the same person. However, I don't think having some similar creatures is enough evidence to claim that the Geneforge and Ermariana (Avernum/Exile & Empire) worlds are the same place at different points in evolution. The geography's not remotely the same AFAIK, and there really isn't any evidence to suggest it. It would be like saying, "Middle-Earth is the same as "normal" earth because they both have spiders and horses and bugs!" Uhm, no, the lack of logic in that statement enrages and infuriates me.

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #15
quote:
The geography's not remotely the same
Uh, that can change over time.

--------------------
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful critizism is welcome.

Don't be offended if you don't celebrate Christmas. My shown name is not meant to offend people.
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #16
You know, I generally think that the idea that any cross between Avernum and Geneforge is stupid. I mean seriously. Come on.

But just yesterday I thought of a scenario that would (probably) satisfy your guys' apparent want of a link between them.

First comes Avernum. The Empire desires all alien and monsters killed right? So they succeed. All that is left is normal creatures. They find 2 new continents (one of them being Terrestia(Did I spell that right?) ). Then some idiot Empire dude discovers essence and starts testing on little creatures of the forest and making them into better little creatures of the forest. Word gets out and a group called the Shapers comes up. Then they learn how to acually create creatures from scratch. Then time passes. After that the Shapers set up an outpost on Sucia island. They create canisters and Geneforge.

Viola. Instant scenario explaining a link between the games.

But personally ,like I said in the beginnning, the idea of a link between the games is stupid.

Do with this post what you will.

--------------------
Spiderweb Software Games I have- BoA
Spiderweb Software Game I'm currently playing- G3/4 Demos
Current non Spidweb game I'm currently playing- Dragon Quest Monsters

Because you care about this. XD

Geez. I am still shaking from that thread on Bipolar Disorder. GOD!
Well I have stopped. XD
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #17
Uh, no. Not right.
Teleportation isn't really mentioned at all in the Geneforge series. So they didn't have teleportation developed then.

So if there is a connection, Avernum would be second.

--------------------
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful critizism is welcome.

Don't be offended if you don't celebrate Christmas. My shown name is not meant to offend people.
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Have a very Iffy Christmas:

Uh, no. Not right.
Teleportation isn't really mentioned at all in the Geneforge series. So they didn't have teleportation developed then.

Well that seems like saying there isn't a link between-

Wait a minute. Why am I defending something I don't care about? Never mind. :D

--------------------

Well I have stopped. XD
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Txgangsta:

Ok, maybe the Trakovites don't make the empire, but they still could be the ones that take out the shapers. Also, its not Averforge, Its Generum. Geneforge came first =)
No, Avernum came first, even in publication order - at least in the form of Exile. Geneforge was made third. (Nethergate was second.)

quote:
Originally written by Lucheiah:

the Geneforge and Ermariana (Avernum/Exile & Empire) worlds
The Geneforge world is called Terrestia, isn't it?

quote:
Originally written by Have a very Iffy Christmas:

Uh, no. Not right.

You're assuming culture can only progress, when in fact regression is also possible. So they could have forgotten how to teleport.

However, there is teleportation in Geneforge (apparently), so it's really a moot point.

I don't think there is a link between Avernum and Geneforge, but it's possible. Shaping is mentioned in Avernum at least once*, as something the Vahnatai do, so it's theoretically possible that humans learned from the Vahnatai and went on to create the Shaper society.

*The troglodyte's explanation of their origin in episode 3.
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #20
Geneforge couldn't have came first because of many reasons.

1) No teleportation.
2) The Avernum caverns haven't been discovered.
3) The only known continent is Terrestia, but the Sha'el or whatever are other peoples on a different continent, and no one knows where they came from.

Yes, regression is possible, but how would the caverns be forgotten? And an empire that spanned the world completely gone from everyones history???

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Txgangsta:

Yes, regression is possible, but how would the caverns be forgotten? And an empire that spanned the world completely gone from everyones history???
(I logged in just to say this)
With all the problems in Terrestia I doubt the Shapers would really care about Exile. And the Shapers probably were, at first, in league with the Empire but then overthrew them on the 2 continents the Shapers now control.

In G1, G2, & G3 your character is too busy surviving to care about anything other than the Shapers. And in G4 everyone is to busy with the rebellion to care about the outside world.

That is if you care about such matters. :D

--------------------

Well I have stopped. XD
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #22
But why would the shapers not use the resources of the caverns? Also, why wouldn't the Avernites take advantage of the turmoil of the empire? The Shapers didn't even know that other lands existed. Geneforge would have had to come first.

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #23
Assuming, of course, that they're part of the same world.

Incidentally, if GF and Avernum did exist on the same world, why do the worlds have different names? The world in which GF is set is Terrestia, the world in which Avernum/Exile is set is Ermariana. Ermariana has four continents so I don't think the "maybe they're different parts of the same world" argument would hold much water.

And Iffy: Yes, the geography could change, but could you answer a question for me? How long did it take for pangaea to become the landmasses we know today? My geography is a bit rusty but I vaguely remember it being somewhere in the MILLIONS of years. So unless it's the same world millions of years later...

No. No no no, so not going there...

[ Saturday, December 22, 2007 19:14: Message edited by: Lucheiah ]

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #24
The one continent that the shapers live on is called Terrestia, not the whole world. They dont know about the rest of the world, other than there is more out there because they have had contact with the shol'ai. Lucheiah, the geography doesn't have to change to much to give a completely different weather pattern, changing the landscape even more drastically, but I dont think we ever know what the Avernum over world looks like, so we have nothing to compare each to.

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.

Pages