Geneforge Avernum link?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge Avernum link?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #25
Nice, but Geneforge already has a history. Have you found The Secret in G1 yet?

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #26
What secret?
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #27
Hint: Touch the stone pillars clockwisely.

--------------------
"Standing on the rooftops, Everybody scream your heart out."
----
My poetry
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #28
The idea is stupid, they are entirely different universes, there is nothing to suggest that either might have come before the "other" because they are entirely different universes made by Jeff, to try and link them together is retarded, we do not need any fyoras "evolving" into goblins or whatever you said! Terrestria is one continent yes but a BIG one, many of the concepts in Avernum conflict with those in Geneforge, some guy could not just discover "essence" and my goodness Trakovites becoming the empire?

Idiocy

There are many other continents out in the Geneforge world, but they have not been revealed because they do not pertain to the freakin story and Jeff does not care, why would he worry about making up other continents if the focus was on one?

Which shows my second point, you are trying to make up a plot line exploitation to connect Avernum and Geneforge, yet if there was one Jeff would put in both games evidence that if you figured it out would connect the too. He has not in any way tried to connect the two, and thus a connection does not exist.

You are also forgetting the big secret of Sucia Island, that disproves any connection as far as I am concerned.

Can I ask this topic get locked? It isn't going anywhere.
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Mythrael:

What secret?
If you want to find that go get the FAQ, it tells you how to do it, not what it is, but it explains enough to know the idea of Averforge is stupid
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #30
The secret doesn't pertain to anything, because im claiming that Geneforge came first. Avernum is Geneforge's future, not past.

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Txgangsta:

The secret doesn't pertain to anything, because im claiming that Geneforge came first. Avernum is Geneforge's future, not past.
Didnt you listen to anything I said? I said that because Jeff Vogel doesnt try to create a connection between the two it doesnt exist.

Whether or not Avernum came out in 2003 or Geneforge came out in 2002 does not matter, those are when the game was finished and released, it has nothing to do with "Geneforge came first, Avernum second" they have no connection and thus neither came first or second.

In Geneforge the history is simple, the secret explains where the Shapers came from, the Shapers had ruled for at least a milinia, intelligent creations and forbidden secrets get loose.

From their war insues, that is the history of Geneforge, their are no freakin vahnatai sliths and nephils.

Get this idea of "Avernum is future of Geneforge" out of your head, there IS NO connection stop trying to make one up.

Gah >_>
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #32
Darkling, we all know you're right. The concept of Averforge (or Genevernum, as some would have it) is based on no evidence whatsoever. But some people like to invent connections, just to be creative if nothing else.

And by the way, there is a connection... both Geneforge and Avernum came from the same mind!

I don't think this thread deserves a lock. Yet.

--------------------
"Standing on the rooftops, Everybody scream your heart out."
----
My poetry
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #33
There is no evidence that they aren't connected, other than it is a bit of a stretch. When the next game comes, i think there will be a few more connections, until we get to the last one. I'm not saying its true, but it has many similarities, and it is completely possible that they are connected. Why are you so opposed to a simple opinion, Darkling?

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #34
As I stated at the very beginning of this thread, check the Code of Community (if someone could provide a link that would be nice). It states, that you should not think of such things as averforge or generum, because they were not meant to be the same world, and thinking that irks Jeff.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #35
Sigh. Neither Geneforge or Avernum have anything in common with each other plotwise. The only link is the recycled graphics (and from A4 onwards the recycled engine).

On the other hand, it is at least feasible that both Geneforge and Avernum are linked to Nethergate. I mean, when all the critters and faeries pass beyond, they don't all go to the same place...

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #36
could anyone pm me about what was written in that "the secret", cause i don't want to replay the game?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Txgangsta:

Geneforge couldn't have came first because of many reasons.

1) No teleportation.
2) The Avernum caverns haven't been discovered.
3) The only known continent is Terrestia, but the Sha'el or whatever are other peoples on a different continent, and no one knows where they came from.

Yes, regression is possible, but how would the caverns be forgotten? And an empire that spanned the world completely gone from everyones history???

I still doubt there is a connection BUT:
1) I have seen posts that mention teleportation in Geneforge.
2) The caverns could have been forgotten.
3) Not sure what to say about this one. It doesn't really seem relevant.
The caverns could be forgotten if something else came up that they had to focus their attention on – for example, the discovery of Shaping. Same goes for the Empire, if said discovery causes it to collapse.

You might be surprised how much can be forgotten over time. A thousand years later, or two or four thousand, they may remember, a little. A million years later, it could be completely forgotten.

I don't really think a connection is possible though. Consider this: Terrestia lacks almost all of the distinctive creatures that exist in Ermariana: Nephilim, Slithzerikai, Vahnatai, dragons, hydras, chitraches, troglodytes, ogres, goblins, giants, basilisks,... the list goes on. In fact, I think the only sentient race in Terrestia was humans until the creation of the serviles, drayks, and drakons. Contrast this with Ermariana, which has at least two original sentient races: the dragons and the Vahnatai. Note the absence of humans. According to this site (not sure if this is canon though), the humans are a creation in Ermariana. In Terrestia, they are the creators. Sure, it's possible that a created race goes on to create other races, but how likely is it?

(Edit: Oops, I missed the second page! Oh well...)

I don't know about the secret since I haven't bought the game yet, but I really don't think there can be any connection. And while a connection between Geneforge and Avernum is ever so slightly possible, connecting either of them to Nethergate is just silly.

[ Monday, December 24, 2007 07:33: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #38
All of those creatures could have been shaped, and most of them could be the upgrades of existing ones (i.e. fyora->basilisk).

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #39
You don't listen very well do you? No it could not have been #%#$%# shaped because Avernum is an entirely different UNIVERSE! There are NO SHAPERS! Stop coming up with stupid ideas on how they could not be connected, Jeff has made neither to be connected, to be entirely different universes, what you keep trying to do is the equivalent of joining like say Warcraft 3 to Warhammer 40k, that doesn't work and is retarded, I am going to ask someone of the administration lock this topic.

Gah :mad:
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #40
You don't listen very well do you? No it could not have been #%#$%# shaped because Avernum is an entirely different UNIVERSE! There are NO SHAPERS! Stop coming up with stupid ideas on how they could not be connected, Jeff has made neither to be connected, to be entirely different universes, what you keep trying to do is the equivalent of joining like say Warcraft 3 to Warhammer 40k, that doesn't work and is retarded,

Can I ask one of the admin to lock this topic?

Gah :mad:

[ Monday, December 24, 2007 09:00: Message edited by: Darkling ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
I am locking this topic because nothing good will come of it.

Darkling, while I agree with you heartily, I am also asking you to chill out. Please refrain from calling people stupid (or retarded) just because they disagree with you. Personal attacks are a violation of the Code of Conduct. Consider this a friendly warning.

IMAGE(http://www.hummingbirdworld.com/spiritnature/images/cave-cow.jpg)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages