A New Series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A New Series
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
I have noticed that many people feel that it's about time that Jeff makes a new series. I have to wonder, what do you see for the new series? Do you see something more modern with guns and armour, do you see a futuristic game, with space ships and multiple planets, or do you see the same type of game with magic and swords as the main weapons. What type of storyline do you see? I personally hope he finishes Geneforge first, but what do you think?
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #1
I have always enjoyed the genre in Geneforge and would welcome further adventures here.
That being said, I also would enjoy a Medival type of theme with armor, horses, magicians, dragons, griffins, etc. Afterall, kings and knights are on quests and crusades, rescuing damsels in distress, besieging castles and whatnot. There are plenty of opportunities to use weapon technologies and face interesting foes.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #2
I honestly wouldn't mind modern or futuristic games after what Jeff's done. But I still like the, ah, less-than-perfect graphics. Overly detailed graphic lightshows make my eyes hurt.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
For the record, this sort of topic belongs in General.

Anyway, I want to see a new series soon. Neither Avernum nor Geneforge should go past six games. I don't care where or when, but the new series should definitely be in a new setting with new characters, monsters, items, spells/abilities, etc. without being too stereotypical.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #4
well in one of his interviews he said he'd like to make a paper mario type of game so ...

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I wouldn't mind seeing that comedy RPG Jeff mentioned once. Other than that, I still have faith in Jeff's ability to come up with something good. While the execution in individual games isn't always perfect, I think the concepts behind Exile/Avernum, Geneforge, and Nethergate are all rock-solid.

—Alorael, who can live with the Geneforge plot continuing and even more hijinks in Avernum, although the latter needs some fresh events badly. What he really wants is a new engine, or perhaps more accurately an old engine. G4 grew on him, but he'll still take the Avernum engine over Geneforge's any day.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Kyrek:

Do you see something more modern with guns and armour
In a perfect world, the powers that be would hire Jeff to make Fallout 3.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #7
Oh, sorry Dikiyoba. I thought that this thread would belong in this forum too, since in the other thread people were talking about ending Geneforge.

[ Tuesday, January 23, 2007 03:59: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
The combat/character engine has undergone relatively minor changes after Nethergate, and that includes all the Avernum and Geneforge games. Although changes to the AP system and even the skill point system (in G1) are interesting it is still the same basic system with a lot of commonality.

I'd love to see something new, but we're going on ten years with this PC engine.

Shaping was certainly new, I guess.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The system has had very minor changes, but I'm okay with that. It's not broke, so don't fix it. THe engine, on the other hand, changed hugely (ground up rewrite, I believe) in G1. A4 moved back in the direction of Nethergate/Avernum, and I prefer it that way.

—Alorael, who really just does not like real-time in his RPGs. Baldur's Gate is acceptable because you can pause. Geneforge has no pause. Perhaps he should have been a beta-tester for G1 and requested a pause function then.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #10
I'd like to see the comedy RPG.

I'd also like to see something with a new system, perhaps a cyberpunk style (one that doesn't just depend on technology to replace all the magic stuff we have).

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #11
What's wrong with using the esc key to pause?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #12
I think Alorael means being able to freeze all objects but still be able to move the screen around. I haven't played Baldur's Gate, though.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #13
The geneforge series has potential for one more game and (prehaps 2) I feel it should come to a close with in the next game. I would like to see a new game Jeff is very good at comeing up with good ideas. One thing I like to see (if its possible) would the PC to be a dragon/dragon like creature. An a possible alterntive to a completly new game is for Jeff is to make a game that happens in the geneforge world, but before Geneforge 1. Simlar world completly different story.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
A comedy game can be really hit or miss. You can tell one group of people a joke and they will find it hillarious. You then tell another group only to be encountered with blank stares. The point with humor is that it's fickle and difficult to do such that your audience will find it funny. Look at Rats Aplenty from the previous contest, had a very wide score distribution for this reason.

Primarily I would like to see a shift in the storyline in GF 4. The current Rebel/Shaper conflict has reached a logical climax with the unbound. More impressive superweapons will just be old news. A new direction, I feel is needed to keep things fresh.

That being said, I think a new game altogether might be in order. Perhaps Jeff could take a shot at more of a sci-fi game rather than more a fantasy one. I doubt this would happen, but it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
Jeff could do a more Nethergate style game where you can run a character or party through the game working for opposing sides. Then you get to see each view point and a differing skill set.

One case would be Arthurian legends where you could be a loyal supporter of Arthur or working for Modred to overthrow the regime. Plenty of opportunities for quests and a somewhat familiar world with swords and magic. It would save on making new graphics since most of the Geneforge ones could be used with guardians for knights, shapers for mages, and serviles for peasants.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
NO. We learned a valuable lesson in Avernum 4. Re-using graphics across different game series is disastrous. It's one thing to do it with something like goblins, that are more or less generic anyway, but old PC graphics do not go into that category. If I look at King Arthur and I see a Guardian, I will scream.

I got over Professor X turning into a booming, Shakespearean Captain Picard. I will not get over King Arthur looking like a Shaper. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I could live with King Arthur looking like King Micah, though. And yes, what I really want in Geneforge is a way to make people stop moving so I can click on them to talk.

—Alorael, who agrees that comedy can either be made into a hit or a miss, but it's quite possible to make something that is all hit and no miss. To draw analogies to old LucasArts point and click adventures, you can either go with the completely wacky (Monkey Island most recently, but plenty of the old Scumm games) or the overall serious with dashes of humor (Loom).
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #18
quote:
And yes, what I really want in Geneforge is a way to make people stop moving so I can click on them to talk.
Thank you very much for showing me that I am not alone. Thank you, thank you.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
There was only ever one person in all the Geneforge games I had that problem with. It was that mage in Derenton Freehold that wanders from her building to halfway across the town. Other than her, I never had a problem with clicking on people to talk to them.

I'll also take this time to say how much I love the 'showmeall' cheat. In Avernum, I always had a feeling in big towns that I may have missed talking to a person wandering around the outdoor parts of the town. In some cases, I would, and I would talk to them for the first time on my tenth time playing through.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
That *is* a problem. I can think of a few other places it was especially bad. There were several annoying wanderers in Rivergate Keep -- Mouawad and Duncan both managed to start moving almost every time I was about to click on them, especially Mouawad.

However, that wouldn't be a problem if there was some kind of keyboard movement. Directional keys would be easy enough to respond to them with and move to intercept them. With the need to move the mouse and then click, it's often impossible, as by the time you have the mouse positioned correctly, they will be past you and you *can't* catch up with them.

The other thing that impedes this is the need to be within a certain range to talk, but the apparent inability to get their attention. So if I click on them directly, I end up following them past multiple rooms.

--------------------
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #21
One day i looked upon the graphics of avernum and said why is there no martians then i a speak of light i got an idea why the new series wouldn't be based on A2 graphics with a intelligent theme what is humanity . As you walk on mars for the last time as a martian you prepare an invasion as earthlings tremble into fear of your heat ray and blood sucking blade.
Who would like that idea ?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
mars -- Please make your posts comprehensible. Also, please stop spamming. Thanks.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Deprecaticon:

The other thing that impedes this is the need to be within a certain range to talk, but the apparent inability to get their attention. So if I click on them directly, I end up following them past multiple rooms.
Usually I just deal with this by entering combat mode and running up right next to the person I want to talk to.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
That only works if you go ahead of the person in combat. Otherwise, there will be a very annoying three seconds of forced inaction while you watch *them* move first.

--------------------

Pages