A New Series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A New Series
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
The only one I really had trouble talking to was Guardian Kantor in Valeya when I wanted credit for killing the Maddened Trall. As a lifecrafter or shocktrooper I had to block his path with creations so he couldn't pass until he talked. I tried to catch him at the points where he stopped, but that never worked.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #26
Gentlemen, i am not spamming : the topic here is about an idea for an new game. So i came up with this, would you like sort of AV 3 graphic game with martians and humans were martian forced to survive migrate and exploit earth as they leave a mutant infested raged mars, drawing blood from humans considered as prey in the eyes of the aliens? I have a lot of ideas about that so why don't develop this idea instead of shaming me for my dyslexia and my bad writing.
Don't say i am spamming when i have difficulties to make people understand what am I saying.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
Mars - when you post like that, it's okay. It's fairly readable, and people can discuss it because they understand it.

We aren't shaming you because of your dyslexia, or whatever, but we have asked you to proof-read your posts, and run them through a spell-checker. It just makes it that little bit easier for us to read them, and if we can understand them without struggling, then we're much more likely to take you seriously.

Looking back, the post above is almost identical to the one before, but the new one is much clearer to read. If you try to post like that in future, I'm sure people will be a lot easier on you.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Apprentice
Member # 7407
Profile #28
I think the idea of a space/futureistic game would be good.
But there could not be martians on mars because there is no air. :rolleyes:
Unless...
martians lived underneath the surface...

--------------------
We come from the dark side, where there is to be no return.
Sonn the invasion will begin!
Join us now!
http://www.ferion.com/?p=245800
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #29
I personally don't want Martians. I like the swords and sorcery way the series are going. I'd like for that to continue. I'd aso like there to be another type of different magic in the next series. I like the extra dimension, and missed it when I went to play Avernum 4.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 08:48: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #30
Exactly i like the under ground idear what about then flora and fauna?
I think that hg wells book war of the worlds would be of interest
I have read that a red sort of rampaging weed being the dominant vegetation.
The fauna on mars would be mutants, humanoid insect like creatures being the cattle, the martians antelope like animals with 2 legs, carrion bird like insects and martians there is a picture about some of them :

http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/martian_war.jpg

On the left of the image : the martian on the right on the left the heads of the alien cattle.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 08:57: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
I've come to the conclusion that aliens are largely unhelpful in stories. They can and should be replaced with humans, possibly slightly different humans, when another group is called for. If you just need a MacGuffin, or at most some kind of reasonable impetus for human action, fine, but the story is about humans.

—Alorael, who most of the time finds that alienness is a replacement for or excuse for the lack of plot and motivation. If aliens are too different to understand they make decent plot devices but terrible characters. If they're antagonists, the story falls into the category of man vs. nature, not man vs. creature.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #32
I know that I already expressed my thoughts about medival themes, and noticed King Athur mentioned. I would like to expand a little...
The concept of starting out as a page or knight-in-training and then advancing levels to become a full-fledged knight might be interesting. Being able to acquire armor and swords, crossbows, short and long bows, mace and other such malicious war items which could be enhanced magically... all of these ideas fit nicely with the Geneforge concepts.
Characters could range from sorcerors to witches to provide the magic component.
What really would be interesting would be the ability to ride a horse. I don't know if Jeff could program that into the game, but it would add an interesting element.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Skrat:

What really would be interesting would be the ability to ride a horse. I don't know if Jeff could program that into the game, but it would add an interesting element.
The Exile and Avernum series have horses, but they're pretty disappointing -- all they do is let you move faster, and you can't fight on them.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 16:07: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #34
Horses would add a new, interesting dimension to combat. However, to even cmbat out you would have to add a weakness to cavalry, and in turn add a weakness to ground melee, missile and magic fighting. It would be complicated, and tough to pull off in a pleasing way, but if it worked a great factor to the games.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #35
In that case there is no better idea than saving damsels, killing demons and dragons and battling evil wizards is there?
You may like those idea which are pretty good but you kiln desperately on them.
Try to find new ideas grounds look at other games be informed and then ideas start fizzing all over the place.
to illustrate my idea here is an example: personally, i think that avernum was inspired by the the history of australia and america alike where the english king sent the prisoners in as well as explorers, soldiers and other materials overseas.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #36
Of course there are better ideas. I'm just talking about the actual gameplay, not the story. You could easily come up with something other than that while using horses in a game.
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #37
The original thread here was to post ideas regarding the genre of a game as well as possible story scenarios, not necessarily the details of plot. In any game there will be those intricacies of who, where and why that enhance the general theme and make a game more interesting to play. To imply that we need to 'be informed' isn't really a great way to inspire brainstorming. I am sure that most people here have played different games and have returned to Spiderweb because of the appeal and fun that Jeff and company create. I think that generating ideas like those posted is not being 'kiln desperately' (whatever that means). Rather, these are just some thoughts on a particular genre. I, personally, am not stuck on any one idea and welcome all to be open minded.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #38
Sorry i got over excited and to kiln is to hold.
It is english.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
Are you sure? Kiln doesn't mean hold in any English I know.

—Alorael, who also couldn't find it with the miracle of the internet. If it's not online it can't be true!
Warrior
Member # 1668
Profile #40
kiln

n. Any of various ovens for hardening, burning, or drying substances such as grain, meal, or clay, especially a brick-lined oven used to bake or fire ceramics.

tr.v. kilned, kiln·ing, kilns
To process in one of these ovens.

--------------------------------------------------

[Middle English kilne, from Old English cyln, from Latin culna, kitchen, stove; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------
"Mongo only pawn in game of life" -- Mongo
Apprentice
Member # 7407
Profile #41
Perhaps he means kling(to hold on) :confused:

--------------------
We come from the dark side, where there is to be no return.
Sonn the invasion will begin!
Join us now!
http://www.ferion.com/?p=245800
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
Er, "cling."

This is what I don't get about upon mars's mis-spellings: sometimes they're obvious typos, which is fine, and sometimes they're mis-spellings due to pronunciation (like "idear," I'm guessing), but sometimes they're not at all. No one pronounces "cling" like "kiln" that I'm aware of, nor could one be a typing mistake for the other, nor do they particularly look alike so as to be confused with one another.

So how do they happen?

[ Sunday, January 28, 2007 10:31: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #43
Me and Drakey have already decided that he's doing it on purpose. The final tell was when he said something like 'snivelization.' Sometimes his misspellings are too good to be true.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Me and Drakey have already decided that he's doing it on purpose. The final tell was when he said something like 'snivelization.' Sometimes his misspellings are too good to be true.
He already admitted to doing that one on purpose. Just because he can't spell doesn't mean he can't make puns.

My research supervisor last year had dyslexia, and he really did botch the spelling of words in inexplicable and inconsistent ways.

[ Sunday, January 28, 2007 13:46: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #45
Having a learning disability does explain misspellings, etc. I will be more patient in trying to read the content of upon mars' postings rather that the syntax and semantics. Spell check won't solve these issues as it will allow proper spelling of words regardless of sentence meaning (i.e. 'kiln' instead of 'cling').
This should however make upon mars more diligent in ensuring that his postings are legible and clear. (Afterall, I wouldn't drive my car without glasses if I was myopic.) His postings do generate thoughts and discussion, which is the point of these boards.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #46
There used to be grammar checkers that would catch more of the mistakes because of context. I never liked them because they kept insisting on changing the voice I was using.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #47
And grammar-checkers often suggest lengthier and less coherent alternatives to your sentences.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I never liked them because they kept insisting on changing the voice I was using.
Microsoft Word's grammar checker still tries to do that, and usually fails hilariously in suggesting a "better" phrasing.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #49
Microsoft's spelling and grammar checker is obnoxious, intrusive, and often incorrect. It's also infuriatingly tenacious. I cannot deactivate all of it, and I can't get most of it to stay off when I quit and reopen Word. It's particularly murderous on formatting.

—Alorael, who has repeatedly gone back to his old Appleworks. It's barely even Carbonized but it runs flawlessly, and it lets the one doing the writing write.

Pages