Good news!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Good news!
Apprentice
Member # 6559
Profile #0
(From a regular player of JV's games. Hi, fellow players:)

Breaking news - there's a post about Geneforge 4 right on Joystiq.com. That's a really popular news source.

Plus, the post links for further info to an interview with Jeff, where the game comes off looking really good.

...Cheers!

IMAGE(http://blobs.shoppay.be/products/021-GOCC0147.jpg)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
Thanks for the link!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #2
Thank you by me too. And welcome to the Boards.

EDIT: See? GF4 is attracting new people...

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 03:48: Message edited by: Teuz ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
It mentions A4, which reminds me of something. I'm surprised that Jeff has never attributed the commercial success of A4 to the most obvious thing: the popularity of the previous Exile/Avernum games. It was the first all-new game in a very popular series in several years. Simply making an "Avernum 4" guaranteed that it would sell well, and it still would have even if it were just a port of Kill Ogre, Win Prize to the Geneforge engine.

Still, on a more relevant topic, I'm definitely going to play GF4's demo, and there's a good chance that I'll actually get the full version and finish the game, which I didn't do with GF3. I like all of the things that he's saying about GF4.

New AP system?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Remember that, because of the way registration is handled, Jeff has a fairly decent idea how many of the people who buy his games are returning customers, or new ones. I suspect that the commercial success of A4 really was due to higher numbers of new customers.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Takes some getting used to, but overall it's better. It's still a turn-based, AP-based system in the Spiderweb tradition. We're talking signficant tweak, not total replacement. More than that I guess I'm not supposed to say.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
quote:
New AP system?
I can neither confirm nor deny details of said system, however, I can say that it is a lot more flexible, forgiving, sensical, and fun than in the previous games.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I can additionally confirm that combat has become much harder to accidentally screw up in stupid ways.

—Alorael, who very much likes that change and its associated marked downturn in the number of useless party members per encounter.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #8
Perhaps a direct link, since joystiq has posted about 20 articles since this thread was made.

here

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
Innovation about combat system? This sounds interesting. Not because I don't like APs, but they should be more... flexible.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
Dang. Everything that I read about GF4 makes me want it to come out faster.
Or get a MAC.
The new sneaking system sounds interesting.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #11
-X- will hazard a guess on the new Action Point system. -X- thinks that it either has a "Confirm" option at the end of each turn, or an "Undo Last Move" option. -X- is probably wrong, but if he is right, he hopes that it is the first option.

-X- also suspects that, unlike it's predecessors, your turn will not be ended if you don't have enough Action Points to attack. -X- prays to Urrrachti that he is right here.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 17:34: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
Uhg... a confirm option. Say it isn't so! The only time I've ever found one of these useful is when I'm about to destroy an army of monsters in front of me with a spell and several of them are, in fact, allies.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
I wouln't mind a confirm message if you were about to do something massive. Like Aura of Flames, for example. I wouldn't want an undo option, though.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
I can confirm that the change is not a confirm or undo command. While it gets rid of a common error that players make it can be a pain when you see what the monsters can now do with the change. It only takes a little while to figure out how to adapt and it does make playing much easier.

Still the new AP combat system works better than in the previous games. Also some spells and creations have been changed from the previous games, but that always happens in Spiderweb games.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
The real question is what's up with the Vlish. Are they still overpowered enough to warrant being called Vlishnu's avatara?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #16
-X- will hazard another guess, since his previous one was brutally cut down in it's prime.

-X-'s Plan B is that there is something resembling the "target and space bar" system of Avernums 1-3. -X- is probably wrong, Again, but he has a Plan C, too.

-X-'s Plan C is that there is a "probe" spell or skill. For example, you find a new creation. You do not know what this creation is. You cast a spell, "Essence Sight" or something that tells you the creations abilities, resistances, method of attack, etc. This is also implementable in skill form, i.e. a "Shaper Knowledge" skill. If you have "X" amount of this skill, more creation descriptions become available, and new abilities for your own creations are discovered. nothing big, like at level 10 Shaper Knowledge you discover that your fyora can take down a Battle Gamma, but tiny stuff, like a vlish can weaken an opponents mental resistance, making more vulnerable to Daze(By about 10%).

-X- also suspects that enemy creations will have the spell/skill as well. They will be able to see that your magic and acid resistances are 127%, and will stop using Searer, and bite you.

-X- hopes that he is at least partially right on at least one of these counts, and if not they will at least be vaguely wanted but not added due to the fact that the coding required for reducing and increasing resistances has not been seen in this world. -X- thinks that they are good ideas, even if they will ineveitably wither, die, and be forgotten.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #17
I can neither confirm nor deny said confirm feature, giving such confirmation would result in confirming such a confirm option which is not to be confirmed nor denied, especially when confirmation is done about confirming. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by *i:

I can neither confirm nor deny said confirm feature, giving such confirmation would result in confirming such a confirm option which is not to be confirmed nor denied, especially when confirmation is done about confirming. :P
Can I quote you on that? Stareye confirms that confirmation of confirm cannot be confirmed. News at 10.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
After hours of thought, and patting -X-'s stomach after a hearty meal of fluffy turtles, the sanity of which is nonexistant, and at least two hours of posting and playing Nethergate AT THE SAME TIME, -X- has decided to take that as a "No."

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
I wonder if it involves being able to switch places with an ally, as you could do back in Exile? That would eliminate half the trouble involved with engine-assigned click-movement, and it would give the enemies new options as Randomizer said. I'm doubtful, but hey.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #21
As long as there is a range indicator for movement and spells, I'm happy. My problem sometimes was being .1 AP away from a melee attack because the enemy was just out of range. Perhaps if I knew that first things would be less annoying.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
A range indicator, like in Fallout? I like it, especially for the Geneforge AP style. This gets my Emperor's Seal of Approval.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #23
I haven't played Fallout, but I envision a circle for the default attack or spell being used which shows what can be hit using your current AP (movement + action cost).

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #24
A range chart/circle thing would be great. My characters were always one square away from attacking and were usually stunned the next turn. So annoying.
Man, I can't wait any longer.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 21:43: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil

Pages