Avernum 5, April Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, April Update
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #25
Whatever.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 8530
Profile #26
quote:
ii. There is now a system of battle disciplines. People with high combat skills will be able to use special abilities. Some of them are cool enough that some mages will be tempted to train in pole weapons.

Indeed....very nice. I certainly don't advocate making the whole game a hack and slash fest, but more combat options will be a big plus. Any little hints about what these might be? Polearms are mentioned, perhaps some form of trip attack? or first strike ability?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
...or an ability where, if you have enough Pole Weapons skill, and a polearm equipped, you could keep enemies one or two squares away. I like the idea of that, especially for spell-casters.

Anyway, this all sounds wonderful Jeff, and as usual, I can't wait to see what you manage to come up with.

One note of speculation though: Starting position being opposite would indicate experienced rather than inexperienced, or Empire rather than Avernite... at least to me.

And secret doors!! Yay!!

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Sage:

One note of speculation though: Starting position being opposite would indicate experienced rather than inexperienced, or Empire rather than Avernite... at least to me.
I think it could just mean something other than starting in a nice comfortable fort. I'm thinking about something similar for my next BoA piece... but probably not what Jeff is doing for A5.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
Or maybe Jeff could actually make staffs that aren't those useless ones you find in lizard pens sometimes. Magical ones that add to magic skills and whatnot.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #30
My Suggestions for Avernum 5:

Bring back secret doors! Jeff already said he's doing this, but even then I couldn't stress it enough; Exile/Avernum isn't the same without them.

No more Recycling! Recycling is good for the environment and the planet, but not in videogames. Avernum 5 shouldn't re-use any of the same graphics from any previous games except for the sprites and a select number of environmental graphics. To a lesser extent, ditto for sound. It's unthinkable that Jeff's newest games still use graphics and sounds from the original Exile!

Animate! This is 2007, yet having timed-animating sprites was standard issue for the most low-end games of 1997. You did it with Geneforge, and, as far as I can tell, you can surely pull it off nicely with Avernum 5. Oldbies might complain upon seeing an animating PC/NPC in their Avernum game, but they've got Exile 1-3 and Avernum 1-4 if they love it so much.

More than 4 people! This isn't strictly necessary in my mind, but I liked how in Exile you could have a nice, big party of up to six (though five was my sweet spot), and wasn't too crazy about the maximum of four adventurers in the Avernum remakes. It stuck around for game #4. Raise the bar for Avernum 5, Jeff?...I can always dream.

And what's up with Jeff not answering the questions on this thread lately? :P

[ Sunday, April 29, 2007 13:48: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #31
Originally by Verelor:

quote:
And what's up with Jeff not answering the questions on this thread lately? :P
Dikiyoba hopes it means he's actually working on A5 instead. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

No more Recycling! Recycling is good for the environment and the planet, but not in videogames. Avernum 5 shouldn't re-use any of the same graphics from any previous games except for the sprites and a select number of environmental graphics. To a lesser extent, ditto for sound. It's unthinkable that Jeff's newest games still use graphics and sounds from the original Exile!
Getting new graphics and sound is expensive. The old ones are perfectly serviceable. Not going to happen.

Also, what graphics do you mean? Sprites and terrain are almost all the graphics. You really want new graphics for the spell buttons?

I am 99% sure that no sound or graphics are left from E1. I'm pretty sure there aren't even any left from E3 except a handful of items.

quote:
Animate! This is 2007, yet having timed-animating sprites was standard issue for the most low-end games of 1997. You did it with Geneforge, and, as far as I can tell, you can surely pull it off nicely with Avernum 5. Oldbies might complain upon seeing an animating PC/NPC in their Avernum game, but they've got Exile 1-3 and Avernum 1-4 if they love it so much.
Combat could be slightly more animated, maybe, but I think A4 pushes the limits of turn-based animation. Having everyone smoothly step one tile every time you move would look creepy.

—Alorael, who has gotten used to having only four characters. Having five in Nethergate feels crowded, and six seems positively unmanageable.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #33
Just a few of the sounds and item graphics from the original Exile, IIRC, are still left over in Avernum 4.

Your argument against sprite animation completely breaks down, I think, when you consider that all four Geneforge games have accomplished exactly what I am talking about with sweeping success.

And you may like having only four in a group (4 or 5 is the preference I have, myself), but that doesn't mean that a niche of people wouldn't like the feature the be there as an option, as many apparently did when playing Exile.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
Jeff's working on getting a new Nethergate: Resurrection beta ready for Monday. He wants to get this game out as soon as possible.

He'll respond to this thread when he feels like it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
Animation works in G4 because movement is real-time, not turn-based. Animating turn-based movement would either slow things down painfully or become unspeakably bizarre-looking.

—Alorael, who agrees that A5 could have animated movement in combat. It just has to be limited to the times when only one thing is moving at a time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #36
May I just ask one question- will there be more Slithzerikai/Nephilim sprites available than in Avernum 4?

It was kind of a letdown when creating a party of four Slithzerikai, and having only 2 sprites to choose from, or whatever they're called.

More is better!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #37
Jeff said that there would be more character sprites in A5 including at least 2 more for nephils and 2 more for sliths.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by 10 Minutes to Webster:

[QUOTE]
—Alorael, who has gotten used to having only four characters. Having five in Nethergate feels crowded, and six seems positively unmanageable.

I just finished a Nethergate game with 6 characters. It gets really awkward in tight spaces, and nigh impossible to run away from dangerous rooms.

Still, I'm excited to hear that the starting position will be different! And the new Nephil and Slith graphics will be good. :)

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #39
Who says Avernum 5 has to have turn-based movement? :)

It won't ruin the Avernum 'feel', I can promise; not if he brings back secret doors, torhces/spells for lighting, and elevation.
Apprentice
Member # 8027
Profile #40
And another question - will Avernum 5 go back to minimized overland + zooming into dungeon/city/whatever mapwise?

I know Avernum is a cave, but instead of the majestic vastness of cave-space of Avernum 1-3, Avernum 4 just felt cramped. :(

The feeling just aint the same if running through a city five times is almost as long as running to the next city.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #41
Different starting position? Hmm, maybe we'll get to start out at Fort Remote–that's pretty far away from previous ones! :D

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #42
A weird thought just struck me...

Jeff said that the Anama are back. He also said the starting position would be completely different.

Am I the only who's imaging a connection between these two sentiments?

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #43
*shudder*

Not completely sure I want to start in that position.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #44
I suppose any joke about positions that one wouldn't want to be in is too obvious here. I will restrain myself. :(

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #45
What is this, the Anama Sutra?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #46
"Who would not give up willingly all matrimonial ambition,/ To rescue such an one as I from his unfortunate position…" </Pirates of Penzance>

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #47
What about multiple endings and factions? Like in Geneforge where the factions and what you did for them affected the final outcome. Maybe the player will have the choice of either keeping the peace between Avernum and the Empire, or one or Avernite sepratist / oldschool Empire loyalist who want the other side completely wiped out. Maybe even working for the Vahnati to turn Avernum and The empire against each other!

As for the new starting point, I'm guessing the player starts in Valorim at the new Avernite settlement they were thinking of building up there.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #48
Considering that Jeff specifically stated that they would be exploring a new section of the caves, odds are low that they would start on the surface.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Considering that Jeff specifically stated that they would be exploring a new section of the caves, odds are low that they would start on the surface.
I don't see why. In E/A3 you start in the caves but spend most of the game exploring the surface.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages