Avernum 5, April Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, April Update
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #75
Didn't most of the ungrateful Blosk people die before the adventurers got there?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #76
Well..by that time in A5..Blosk would be repopulated by ungrateful Bloskans..

So..there many ungrateful Bloskans out there that isn't grateful for the hardwork A4 adventurers have done for them..
Tsk tsk..

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #77
Option 3 was the best, closely followed by 4. In fact, option 4 is a lot like the main theme of PS...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Apprentice
Member # 8558
Profile #78
how about if you start knowing lots of spells since start, and then you just gain power by making them stronger when you train them

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:01: Message edited by: ArchMage81 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

[Dialog pane with headshot of Aldus, now wrinkled and bald]

"In our day you had to slay a thousand worms just to reach first level! Kids these days start out with enough power to do cool stuff, and they don't even appreciate it.

"Why, to get Demonslayer, I had to fight a cursed golem that resisted everything and split into seven indistinguishable mirror images of itself at every hit. Then I lost it somehow, I forget ...

"But now you young whippersnappers come along with MY Demonslayer, and tell me you picked it up in the tutorial, after learning how to open a chest!"

1. Wow, Mr. Aldus. That's really cool.
2. Can I have your autograph? It's worth 50 coins in Blosk.
3. You old guys didn't have it so tough. I heard the guys before you had to carry arrows.
4. Hey, I needed this sword in the tutorial. It was the only way to kill Rentar-Ihrno!

Quoted for emphasis on hilarity.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 7111
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

Capping hit chance at 95% (and 5%) is a very old RPG convention that stems from D&D and its 1d20 combat rolls. It has displayed remarkable robustness for a rule that isn't essential, showing up in RPGs all over the place. That may be because it makes sense. You can always get a lucky dodge somehow, can't you?
If there would be an alley in some game, witch is 2 metres wide, and you set up a trap. U will start running and U will face a deadend. The trap is a 1 metre 98cm wide rock, that rolls towards you. So is there any chance of lucky dodge? And the rock wont stuck.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #81
Yes, yes, and the Improved Evasion ability in D&D allows a character to completely avoid damage from a fireball going off in a sealed room. We've heard it all before. Please refrain from attempting to make game mechanics make sense: it will only make both you and the game designer cry.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 23:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 7111
Profile #82
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Yes, yes, and the Improved Evasion ability in D&D allows a character to completely avoid damage from a fireball going off in a sealed room. We've heard it all before. Please refrain from attempting to make game mechanics make sense: it will only make both you and the game designer cry.
I wasnt talking about evasion, I was talking about dodging it! The rock has 100% hitchance!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #83
The point I am making here is that your bourgeois notions of "realism" have no place in an RPG. Attacks have a chance of missing because the game works better that way, and that's that.

Maybe the rock had a crack in it and breaks into pieces before it hits you. Maybe you vault over the rock as it rolls toward you. Maybe you block it at just the right angle to send it rolling back the other way. It doesn't matter how it happens, but since it does happen, it must be possible within the context of the game. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 04:35: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #84
Realism is important, but that's why pen and paper games are nice, where you have a GM with the power to play God, instead of just a bunch of mindlessly applied rules. If the GM says the rock is inescapable, you get no saving throw. You die. Fun game. What a great GM.

Otherwise, if the GM allows a saving throw to survive the rock, that means the rock isn't inescapable. There's a high ceiling, or something that could stop the rock, or whatever. If you make the save, the GM has to think up some explanation of how you survived.

Explaining how characters survive is usually not hard to put over, but explaining an unfavorable die roll, when the players argue that their success should have been automatic, can take some fast thinking. If the GM isn't up to handling situations like this convincingly, the game loses a lot.

For advanced players, a nice variant on having the GM think up excuses for survival is to make the players propose how they hope to survive, before rolling. The GM may then apply bonuses or penalties, or simply rule failure or success, based on how good the proposal is.

In a CRPG, you just have to do the excuse part yourself. The games never specify the rock so precisely that this is impossible.

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 05:16: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages