What do you think of A4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What do you think of A4
Warrior
Member # 7125
Profile #0
What do you think of it? Hard, Easy, So so, not sure, don't care?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 73 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=izoTfWyvWduT"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=izoTfWyvWduT"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Apprentice
Member # 7267
Profile #1
It's awesome. Totally rad.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Good combat engine, but the plot needs work, a lot of work. Money limit is a real problem.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #3
I really liked it. I've tried the demos for Geneforge 1, 2, 3, and dabbled with Avernums earlier renditions demos as well. By the time I got to Avernum 4 I loved it! Instant addiction. I like the way the game controls and play were better.
I have to admit that it could be more open ended. But hey, I've played it through 2 times and am nearly finished with a third and about 1/3 through a 4th. (And yes, I am using an editor on later replays. I want to get all completable quests done, all 6 tests (the Book of Answers calls them "Trials".) So basically it's my favorite and am looking forward to A5.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 19:10: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #4
As far as I can tell, the job boards don't refill with jobs no matter how long you wait, and the money limiter is a *really* downpoint. especially since you're an adventurer, not someone working to barely make cut. overall, the games plotline is cliche but it works (sort of). The bows, as far as I can tell, were edited to not need arrows because of the lack of cash, and other things were changed around as well to adapt to the new engine. It's really not too bad, and looks better then the older avernum games, but contrary to popular belief, looks aren't everything.

Another thing that comes into play, is evolution of the timeline between avernum 1 to 4. Spells change little except for strength and such, but mostly, spells keep the same names, and pray few new ones are ever created. Realistically, that would be impossible, especially given the nature of sages and magic users in the game (as well as priests). Really, there is little variety. Fortunately the creator(s) make up for this with, of course, the game itself. New areas, old areas, new enemies (stuff from G4 is interesting. Watch! How much you want to bet the empire and avenrum, are in the same world as where Geneforge happens. Will the creators merge these two seperate empires into one game at some point? Who knows, but if you ask me, it'd be an amazingly interesting clash. Especially with how different the magic and cultures and such are), old faces and new ones. That and the fact you ALWAYS hear about the old adventurers but *never* get to see them (one of these days I want to bump into some weird old guy and eventually find out he's one of the former or something) adds some interesting points. Heh

the lack of a day counter is nice, since it makes the game less of a *RUSH* and more of a laid back thing. Less EXP points per level also makes it more challenging. And the old enemies (chitratch, for example, which if you ask me are the main pests in the game. f34r the pun) seem to like to return every so often to bring back some nice slaying memories of the earlier games. Which also adds to realism, since they don't just vanish. One aspect which I don't get, is why Cordelia and Mycroft changed places at the default. Now the guy is a priest while she's a spellcaster. Random? Or what? I don't know. Haha

Anyway, overall, the game sort of balances itself out. Realism wise, and "well, that's not logical or realistic within the game world" instances.

so, the rating? 6 out of 10. Given how many games are created, as opposed to other games and their sequals/etc, this game basically defies the market. Especially since most games tend to chuck out so many crappy sequals/etc to their already overly animated and their too-much-shiny-graphics-to-focus-on-gameplay sucky games. So hopefully they keep making the series for a while (And who knows, maybe the creators DO have a sinister plan to clash the world of avernum with geneforge ;o) and we get to see just how much the creators decide to play it out.

[ Monday, July 03, 2006 08:27: Message edited by: jeremyhfht ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
At this point I really have to point out that this topic is about difficulty, not how much you like A4. Just sayin'.

It's not really very difficult at all if you are willing to use all the little fun tricks and suchlike, but it's a challenge if you just go in swinging on Torment. I suppose there's a lesson there. Instead of making the game harder, Jeff made enemies require a modicum of thought. It worked well.

—Alorael, who knows that at least a few A4 job boards get new quests once you've done a few of the quests originally there or met other criteria. There isn't an endless supply of jobs, though, because unlike A3's job boards they're not randomly generated.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #6
Heh, I know it's about the difficulty, but the guy misnamed the topic. So I decided "what the hell" and wrote that. Technically, it's on topic. "what do you think of A4" haha.

Also; I've completed a fair amount of quests. the job boards don't seem to have new jobs at any period in time. unless, you basically have to complete half the games quests just for a new one to generate at the very start of the game.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
No, I think they show up sooner than that. For instance, there is one quest on the job board at Fort Monastery that doesn't appear until after you complete one of the earlier job board quests.

But it's been a while, so Dikiyoba could be misremembering.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
The job boards don't have infinite randomly-generated jobs like in A3, though, which might be what he meant.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
There are a fixed number of job board quests. Some are added as you finish other quests and claim your reward. You must click on a job board quest before you can get a reward message even if you finished the quest.

Torment has a few encounters that are harder to do and require thought. Hrickris, Nodicuas, and Dorikas are the worst ones in the game. Even on torment mode there is a lot of hack and slash.
Apprentice
Member # 7268
Profile #10
Again, I tend to attempt to complete all the side quests (this includes jobs on the job board) before I leave an area. They don't seem to have new jobs no matter how many you complete.

But, yeah, that's so far. Then again, perhaps I did something that generated a new one, or it just refuses to work for me, before I even click on the job board? Like, y'know, breathe? I don't know. Haha. Anyway, I'll have to mess with it and try and figure it out.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 00:12: Message edited by: jeremyhfht ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Not all towns have jobs that appear only after other jobs are completed, and those that do don't have many. There are one or two in some towns, and none in others. The most notable is a series of three jobs in Fort Remote to find alchemical ingredients, which have to be completed in order, with increasing rewards for each.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 04:15: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #12
I voted 'ok'. While I think it can be fairly easy if you do lots of subquests, if you skip most subquests some parts can be really hard *cough*Mindreaper Lich*cough*.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #13
The hardest part of the game was surviving boredom after all the hack and slash. Easy to learn, easy to play and torment does help.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #14
Avernum 4 was definitely heavier on the hack and slash side than the previous games. This along with the clunky interface (too much reliance on both the mouse and keyboard), removal of skills/stats/spells,inability to rest outdoors, and the insipid storyline clearly makes this the worst in the series.

The graphical improvements do not outweigh all the above negatives... Although it would have been nice not to have relied on Geneforge-esque graphics.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 07:04: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Lancer:

Avernum 4 was definitely heavier on the hack and slash side than the previous games. This along with the clunky interface (too much reliance on both the mouse and keyboard), removal of skills/stats/spells,inability to rest outdoors, and the insipid storyline clearly makes this the worst in the series.

The graphical improvements do not outweigh all the above negatives... Although it would have been nice not to have relied on Geneforge-esque graphics.

Wow. I voted OK and really like the game. After reading all these comments maybe going back and trying earlier versions in more depth will be fun while awaiting A5!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #16
Yes, certainly start with A1. The graphics/smaller sprites are the one thing that might take some getting used to. But once you do, expect a more rewarding experience.

--------------------
Lancer
Apprentice
Member # 4866
Profile Homepage #17
AV4 isn't bad. Its not the best game in the series though it isn't the worst either.

I still miss the ability to pick-up things by ctrl+clicking and the elevation from the earlier Avernum games.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 15:08: Message edited by: Holymonkey ]

--------------------
Worship the monkey
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #18
Lancer:
quote:

I second that. Quite simply, Avernum 4 STINKS. I lost complete interest about 1/4 of the way through the game. There isn't even the slightest inkling to see the endgame, and I really don't care what the Darkside Loyalists are (although I can make a pretty good guess... Empire soldiers who want to open hostilities with Avernum).

Blades of Avernum, Geneforge 3, and Avernum 4... will Jeff ever restrain himself from creating such abominations?

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 15:49: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Do not ever call BoA an abomination again, please. Have you ever actually played any scenarios by anyone but Jeff?

—Alorael, who doesn't think A4 isn't an abominatino either, really. It's not as good as previous Avernums, but the bar was set high.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

Blades of Avernum, Geneforge 3, and Avernum 4... will Jeff ever restrain himself from creating such abominations?
I agree with Alorael... Blades of Avernum does not deserve that type of treatment. Perhaps it is you, good sir, who is the abomination. :P

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #21
Ooops. Just learned something. BoA is more Blades of Avernum than what I was using BoA for. Book of Answers is the title of the "Hint Book" for A4.
As I find them I'll edit them. Meanwhile I won't initial Book of Answers as BoA.

I have d/l'd the demos for A1-3. Need to try Blades of Avernum also.

Much of this reminds me of how a remake of a movie I liked doesn't seem as good as the earlier one. I just have to sit back and watch it for itself. Not in the shadow of the earlier one.

I guess I'm so happy with A4 is because I played it first. I wonder how I'll feel about these earlier versions having played A4 before them.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #22
Avernum 4 and Geneforge 3 not being very good is one thing...
But BoA is certainly not in that boat. That game rocks!

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 19:32: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #23
Al:
quote:
Do not ever call BoA an abomination again, please.

Abomination abomination abomination!

quote:

Have you ever actually played any scenarios by anyone but Jeff?

Nope, and why should I? The scenarios that come with the game should be enjoyable. That's sort of expected.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

quote:

Have you ever actually played any scenarios by anyone but Jeff?

Nope, and why should I? The scenarios that come with the game should be enjoyable. That's sort of expected.

Except that those scenarios aren't the point of BoA. The point is that we can do better than those scenarios, and we do.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Pages