A question to ponder

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A question to ponder
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
If golems are vulnerable to acid damage, how are the ones in the purification plant still functional?

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #1
I do believe, sir, that there is no fair answer to that question.

--------------------
Not a signature
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #2
I think there are several types of golems.
Some are more resistant than others.

And, maybe there is difference between constant exposure to small amounts of acid in the air, and sudden forceful hit by a glob of concentrated acidic matter?

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
The golems don't actually go into the areas with the acid/poison spraying pools, or they avoid the pools very well.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #4
There's no infection vector for the golems until you forcefully hit them with it. They're golems, people -- they don't breathe, and breathing is how you, as the shaper, are getting poisoned.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #5
That is poisoning, but aciding comes from having your skin exposed to the acidic air.
And the golems *do* have fleshy components at least partially accessible to air.

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #6
hmmm.... good point.
Although, if you look at the images, the golems look mostly like rock to me, and it's not until your spell splashes acid all over them that they'll start taking damge.... on the other hand, maybe acid air doesn't bother them. They do, after all, work in a place that even when working properly, is gonna have some acidy problems.

They must have been made acid-air resistant. But the shapers who made them didn't bother to make the insides resistant b/c the golems should never have encountered enough acid that it would get into their joints/insides/etc.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #7
Note that they always go back to those platforms of theirs after a few turns or so. They are CONSTANTLY recharging. Perhaps it heals them, like our spells do to us.

Anyway, That's MY theory. They DO get affected, but tehy just constantly heal themselves using those recharge platform things.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
I like the combined ideas of the fact that they stay away form the acid pools, there may be Golems designed with a slight resistance to acid, the platforms may heal them, and breathing of toxic vapors in generally more harmful than the air touching the skin (which for Golems seems to be only somewhat permeable.)
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

I like the combined ideas of the fact that they stay away form the acid pools, there may be Golems designed with a slight resistance to acid, the platforms may heal them, and breathing of toxic vapors in generally more harmful than the air touching the skin (which for Golems seems to be only somewhat permeable.)
Well. I suppose.

But I still prefer my idea, even if yours makes much more sense :P

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #10
Ok, how about this question: on the loading screen with drayk info, it says they used a base material of a heavily modified fyora. Also, it indicates the wings are vestigal. Now how can a creature have vestigal wings if its ancestor had no wings at all?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #11
Is there a way to get the loading picture when you're not loading something? Cause it always loads to fast for me to get a good look at it.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
It only takes my computer about 20 seconds (usually less) to load the next section, so I have not had a chance to read the loading screen either.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 16:36: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #13
Yes, well there is generally time to read a few details off the diagrams so after many times I know what all of it says.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
You can probably pick the graphics out of the game's resources if you have a basic knowledge of ResEdit. On Windows you don't even need that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #15
Here are the Drayk, Clawbug, Artila, and Vlish.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 18:01: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

Ok, how about this question: on the loading screen with drayk info, it says they used a base material of a heavily modified fyora. Also, it indicates the wings are vestigal. Now how can a creature have vestigal wings if its ancestor had no wings at all?
There are different types of drayks. The drayk that appears on the loading screen is "conjecturally, type 25" - which I assume is the type you're able to make in game.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #17
Then again maybe he indicated the wings were vestigal so people wouldn't keep complaining about not letting drayks fly over things.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #18
The wings are to small in comparison to the body to be able to lift the body up.(same with the Drakon)
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
That is fairly easy. The golems are machines which are resistant to organic poisons. Your characters are living things and get poisoned by the gas. I think the searer spell is magical acid.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #20
It's not organic poisons, its caustic chemicals used to treat metal and crystals. When you are there you repeatedly get covered in acid, not poisoned.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #21
As for the whole vestigial wing thingie, the very early versions of the fyora might have had wings. There is little doubt that they have been modified at least several dozen times from their archetypal progenitor.

The wings might have been removed intentionally after the drayks rebelled. The shapers probably figured that, since fyoras go rogue at a drop of a hat, you don't want them to go fly away. You want them easy to hunt down and slay.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #22
Interesting, I would never have considered that fyoras might have had wings way back whenever drayks were first modified from them (or maybe alternately combat modifications made them too heavy to fly so they removed the wings which were then useless, but never got around to doing so for drayks). Anyway, I was just thinking whatever happened to the living boats that your character was said to have been riding before being attacked in Geneforge 1 (said to be a specially modified drayk)? Why does Rahul mention that he is giving you one of his last sea worthy craft if they can just shape more boats?

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

... Now how can a creature have vestigal wings if its ancestor had no wings at all?
By crossing a fyora with a butterfly? :P

About the boats, they'd have to be similar to Golems (part machines part living creatures) to avoid the need for constant shaper control. (Since you start Gf1 as a simple apprentice, presumably you wouldn't be able to "control" a large and powerful creature the size of a boat, unless it was mostly mechanical.) So while they might be able to quickly shape living components of a boat, they'd have to spend a lot of time working on mechanical parts.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Ghaldrings_doom:

The wings are to small in comparison to the body to be able to lift the body up.(same with the Drakon)
Ah, but wait - aren't the drakons able to fly? Look at the end of Geneforge 3, and 2 for that matter. The drakons are flying around and burning things. They can fly.

Oh, and the golms don't die in the purification plant because Jeff didn't want you to be able to stand still and just wait for them to die in the atmosphere. Which would happen...

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 06:30: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Pages