Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #25
True. But we can always pointlessly hope for a Blades of Geneforge RTS.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #26
My idea wouldn't have all that base building nonsense. Just a room with a vat of essense. You bring components to it (found by defeating other factions), and by the end of the game it becomes a geneforge. You would be a one man faction, of course. After all, why would anyone want to help you build a geneforge?

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

My idea wouldn't have all that base building nonsense. Just a room with a vat of essense. You bring components to it (found by defeating other factions), and by the end of the game it becomes a geneforge. You would be a one man faction, of course. After all, why would anyone want to help you build a geneforge?
The problem that I see with the "one-man faction" is that it would defeat the drawing point of the game. Said 'point' is that there is no perfect side that you ultimately must pick (as seen in events of GF3 and 4, no more fence sitting). I also share what I perceive to be your "The only man to whom I am loyal is the one I see in the mirror each morning" mentality but realize that GF wouldn't be what it is if I could just kill everyone on each map irregardless of consequences and loot them. It is frustration (Lord knows I want to kill some Sholai in GF1 after allying myself with them for some exp!) but more engaging to work within a tighter framework.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #28
In Geneforge 2, if you want the perfect Shaper ending, the best thing to do it to kill everyone on every map. The one man faction would not only be a great way to end the series (most people agree that they don't feel comfortable with any single faction) but it would also be a worthy challenge to play through without that extra help from a faction.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 8425
Profile #29
But not feeling comfortable with any faction is one of the things that makes the series great (at least in my opinion). There's no obvious good or evil, just different shades of grey. The choice of which shade is lighter is one of the best part of the games.

--------------------
The sparrows are flying again.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #30
It's not like this ending would be perfect. Geneforges make you crazy, you know.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 5650
Profile #31
More crafting. Fewer spores, pods and living tools but a variety of raw materials that could be used to craft the resources to suit a given build.

And how about all those broken swords and batons around the land; why not make them repairable with the iron bars and planks of wood, to be used or sold? Perhaps some of them might have surprising and exceptional properties.

The forges could be easier to reach, but getting the right hammer or tongs might be necessary for crafting items of rare quality and the more powerful artifacts.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #32
Tullegloar - You answered your own question, so to say. To get the perfect Shaper ending you could (and should) kill everything in GF2. THat's not the same as fighting for yourself. Also, as I mentioned earlier, four games consisting of little more than clearing out a map of all living things and looting it would get boring very quickly.

Enkephalin - Sounds cool! I just wish that Jeff owuld revamp the inventory system prior to doing that. Prime example - give us some bags please! This makes organization much easier and allows you to haul around more things. At the very least combine the inventory system from GF1 and GF3 where hitting G doesn't bring up the whole inventory (only the get nearest items) and hitting I for inventory brings up your avatar doll, equipped and bagged items and a place to drop items on the ground.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #33
It would be near to have your own base. I could understand if we have minimal customaztion capablitys buy it still be ours.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

But guys, all these things about base building and stuff totally change the game!

You are going from a single-player turn-based RPG that's mostly played solo to a Dungeon Keeper hybrid of some sort.

Personally I would like some customization in the series (for example, in GF3 I loved coming to each island and picking out a "home" for my character. Cleaning it up and organizing my stack of supplies there). But I'd rather avoid dealing with micro-management of "research", resources and base building.

tl;dr - Remember the "spirit" of the game. The things you describe sound cool but would they really add to the Geneforge experience?

Hell, I'd happily pay 100$ for a game like that and blast the delays!

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Never trust a man who can say "Pickles" with a manic gleam in his eye.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #35
Well that's you dude, but I doubt that's really anyone else here though.
Apprentice
Member # 8426
Profile #36
quote:
Thuryl's humor is wasted on the stupid. :P

I agree
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #37
I'd like nothing more than to play a hatchling creator Drayk or Drakon, or both, I'd give my left eye, arm, leg for that. Make your pick.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #38
You always play a shaper/lifecrafter.
Edit -playing otherwise would be an imbalance.

[ Wednesday, May 02, 2007 13:12: Message edited by: Underestimated Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #39
Their are creations that create, right? In Geneforge 4 you have the ability to play as a servile.

And at least Drakons have shaping abilities. Don't know about Drayks for certain, but It'd be awesome to play one of those two. And they're part of the rebellion, well, in a way.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #40
Maybe as a reward for joining the Drakons, you could be shaped into a Drakon! :D

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #41
Sounds a bit far fetched, I have no idea, all I know is that they shape themselves in new forms, but those forms are still all Drakon related, say, Drakon to Ur-Drakon.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #42
Nepharim:
quote:

All I know is that they shape themselves in new forms, but those forms are still all Drakon related, say, Drakon to Ur-Drakon.

Drayk -> Drakon -> Ur-Drakon

From memory, if you use the Geneforge in GF2, you start to grow claws and scales (?), until the transformation goes wrong and you die in horrible agony.

I'm not so sure if it's far fetched. A lot more genetic modification is needed for a human-Drakon transformation than a Drayk-Drakon transformation, though.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #43
I didn't play Geneforge 2 though, I probably should-
Warrior
Member # 8344
Profile #44
if jeff was making another geneforge what type would you pick? (geneforge only votes)
geneforge 5
blades of geneforge
multiplayer online geneforge

those be your only choices.
i gona make a poll for it
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #45
Please don't post the same thing in a dead topic as you already have in a topic of your own making.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #46
Jeff could create an "unlockable" character. That could make things interesting.

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Apprentice
Member # 9239
Profile Homepage #47
I was thinking about the possibility of creating servant minds but they could actually move instead of being immobile. And they could join you on your quest(s). And you could create serviles of any kind.
and possibly create charged Fyoras,charged cryoas,clones of yourself,and you could get anyone to join you.
Apprentice
Member # 9239
Profile Homepage #48
i'm thinking you could create the unbound creations like unbound golems,unbound serviles,unbound drakons,unbound battle alphas,unbound Rotghroths,unbound ornks,unbound drayks,unbound shapers,and finally some unbound artillas to boot.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #49
No.

--------------------

Pages