Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5
Apprentice
Member # 8379
Profile Homepage #0
It sure was refreshing having new creatures in Geneforge 4, but I missed the role that Alwan and Greta played. The other dude showed up too late in the game and just didn't really cut it.

Do y'all reckon that we'll see more creations in G5? What about the ability to shape your own living tools? Serviles? Why not?

I wonder what would happen if the Shapers found another nation of Shaping peoples, with their own separate strain of creations (forget the fyora). It would definately be interesting. Although it sounds like the next focus for the Spiderweb team is Nethergate.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Being able to shape living tools would kinda defeat the purpose of having living tools in the game.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #2
quote:
The other dude showed up too late in the game and just didn't really cut it.
Whose the other dude?

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Apprentice
Member # 3612
Profile #3
There is a shaper who can join you later in the game.
Warrior
Member # 8344
Profile #4
Geneforge 5 dosent exist yet.
if it going to be made it would come out between 2008-2018
or (stupid year for G5 to come out) 2100 a.k.a.
22 century
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
2100 is only plausible if Jeff becomes a crystal soul.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3612
Profile #6
Speaking of the year 2100. How are we going to register our demos once everyone associated with Spiderweb software is long dead?

Is Jeff going to release the freeware versions of his games on his deathbed? :confused:
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
Just wait untill Jeff reads all of this :P

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Gabriel's Horn:

Is Jeff going to release the freeware versions of his games on his deathbed? :confused:
If you're thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of doing, don't try it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Gabriel's Horn:

If you're thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of doing, don't try it.

Don't try it? Don't Do It. Period. I'm personally hoping Jeff will live to a ripe old age and make everyone happy with a few more Avernum/Geneforge games. Would you kill that happiness in cold blood? Would you? I hope not.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Apprentice
Member # 3612
Profile #10
Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said anything about harming Jeff. :eek:
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Thuryl's humor is wasted on the stupid. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
I wonder if Jeff has ever had an offer from a big company to buy the Avernum or Geneforge franchises. They have a great, original story, the hard part is already done. Imagine what some huge company with a bottomless pocketbook and teams of designers could do with it.

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Wonder no more. If Jeff had ever gotten such an offer, he almost certainly would've taken it and would be rolling in the dough right now (and not making any more games).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #14
Are you sure of that?
Could it be the last stand of spider web software?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #15
The story isn't the hard part. The hard part is fleshing out all the details to make a game, and making a game.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Wonder no more. If Jeff had ever gotten such an offer, he almost certainly would've taken it and would be rolling in the dough right now (and not making any more games).
Ehhh, from what I understand things are rarely that cut and dry.

I doubt Jeff would take any offer that would not allow him to maintain creative control of all the series. (Even then there's always a chance of Jeff being muscled out from that position in favour of profits). Furthermore I doubt that just because someone bought Jeff's IP he would want to stop making games. He might have to upgrade his skills (LOL CANISTER) but I'd think he'd join the new team to work on the next game. Finally I hope everyoen realizes that Jeff is doing this more out of love and as a hobby instead of for the money. Even though I wish him the best I doubt he'll ever roll in a Ferrari because of this job or because his company was purchased.

Edit: On topic - Yes, I would love to have more NPCs join your party! I've read the complaints saying "But that'd make Shapers useless and obsolete! Also, look at the design for the first game!" and I think they are rubbish! I've yet to read of anyone who made their Shaper so powerfull through casual gameplay that they were controlling seven usefull creations. Having one or two human NPCs that can join you can add to the atmosphere, break up the monotony and, (if Jeff were to write it) provide some between-NPC interaction. Love? Backstory? Greta and Alwan are as flat and one-dimensional, despite Jeff's considerable writing talent!

So yes, I say bring on the party NPCs in the next Geneforge (or next game that Jeff is working on in general)!!

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:49: Message edited by: Eugi ]
Apprentice
Member # 8390
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Imagine what some huge company with a bottomless pocketbook and teams of designers could do with it.
They could ruin it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

The story isn't the hard part. The hard part is fleshing out all the details to make a game, and making a game.
True. I guess what I meant was that Avernum and Geneforge are already franchises with a fanbase, and that's what companies like. Sure Jeff wouldn't get as much money as, say, the guys who sold out Fallout, but selling would be better than the alternative of retiring the series. Or when Jeff dies (many many years from now) his family could sell it, make some money, we'd get more games, everybody wins.

--------------------
You lose.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #19
The true hard part has yet to come since spiderweb has difficulties with merchandising.
The best we can do know is to try to help them in any way.
How about making people know about those games?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #20
Well, Nalyd shamelessly advertises on every forum he can, even when they ban him for it(Runescape, the ****-pile).

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #21
LOL,Runescape...I still have a level 98 account from there...
Wouldn't it be nice if in G5 it was longer,and you could make your own base,or lab,and make your own pylons and turrets?
I was hoping the game to be longer so you could at least reach level 50-60,because i only made it to 45,and that is from killing -EVERYONE-
In your lab,you can do your own experimental creations,I really,really wanna make those...

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
I've been saying for a while now that there should be a yourself faction, where you build your own geneforge from components collected throughout the game in your basement (Shaper Monarch style) and then use it to take over the world. What better way to end the series?

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #23
Ooh! That might actually be feasible, even if the programming would jack up the price to $50 and delay the release for a year! At the beginning, you can either pick to go on normally, or create your own faction with a complex set of questions on Shaping restrictions, creation rights, and the like.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #24
But guys, all these things about base building and stuff totally change the game!

You are going from a single-player turn-based RPG that's mostly played solo to a Dungeon Keeper hybrid of some sort.

Personally I would like some customization in the series (for example, in GF3 I loved coming to each island and picking out a "home" for my character. Cleaning it up and organizing my stack of supplies there). But I'd rather avoid dealing with micro-management of "research", resources and base building.

tl;dr - Remember the "spirit" of the game. The things you describe sound cool but would they really add to the Geneforge experience?

Pages