A Few More Advance Words On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few More Advance Words On Geneforge 4
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
Despite a new infant, food poisoning, and general inertia, I've now completed the first 5 areas of Geneforge 4. I have a lot better idea of the shape the game is going to take. I hope to have actual screen shots and PR available in a month or two.

The game will be smaller in size than Geneforge 3, but with a much higher plot density. I've tried to make the game have a more intricate plot and more involved quest chains, battles, and characters. I have some concern that the amount of talky interaction in the game will cost me hack-n-slash gamer money, and this bums me out, but it ended up being the sort of game I wanted to write, so here we are.

Avernum 4's relative success bought me some extra time, and, when I wasn't spending that time parenting, I spent it polishing Geneforge 4 and reworking a lot of stuff that was overdue for it. I added a lot of polish to the graphics, to the item system, and to the creations for starters.

There will be some weather effects. They have no effect on gameplay whatsoever. They're just pretty.

There are five basic rebel character types. Four of them are human. As said before, their are 3 new creations and eight new spells. I am also making some major changes to the alternate creation types to make them more interesting.

The game still tracks your allegiance to one side or the other, but the system is now based far more on actions and less on conversation. A lot of encounters have a pro-rebel and a pro-shaper resolution.

Still hope to have it out for the Mac by Christmas.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #1
Sounds like it will be one of the best Spidweb games. :) Especially this part:
quote:
The game will be smaller in size than Geneforge 3, but with a much higher plot density. I've tried to make the game have a more intricate plot and more involved quest chains, battles, and characters.
The game still tracks your allegiance to one side or the other, but the system is now based far more on actions and less on conversation. A lot of encounters have a pro-rebel and a pro-shaper resolution.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #2
I sympathize with the food poisoning most of all. I once had it, really, really bad. Unable to throw up for four days of nauseating agony, spent trying to induce puking as I knelt before the god of porcelain. Eventually lost consciousness and vomited my [expletive left to imagination of reader] brains out in a stupor.

Love quests that lead to more quests. Oooh, how I hope Sholai are playable!

... this calls for a celebration. A canister, please, Igor.

(EDIT) Can there be animations of canister use? or unlocking things? Oh, please? I'll do the animation myself and everything ... I'm good with cartooning and 3D modelling!

[ Friday, April 28, 2006 16:24: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #3
Wow! That sounds really cool! It plays up everything that is good about the Geneforge series!

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #4
Game news sounds good! Wishing much progress and quick banishment of real-life illnesses.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Originally by Spidweb:

quote:
I have some concern that the amount of talky interaction in the game will cost me hack-n-slash gamer money, and this bums me out, but it ended up being the sort of game I wanted to write, so here we are.

Don't be too bummed out. There are some gamers who would be more willing to pay for talky interaction than for a pure hack-n-slash.

Dikiyoba thinks all the information revealed so far sounds excellent.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
Sounds good so far. Since hack-and-slash in Geneforge seems to mean kill it first before you die, it might be better. Talking can be fun if it involves some thought instead of trying to push towards a side for benefits.
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

There are five basic rebel character types. Four of them are human.
Unfortunately, that means no Sholai. Jeff has already said you will be able to play as a Servile, so the one remaining class must be a Servile.

--------------------
Polaris
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Sholai are human, though. They aren't the same ethnicity as the Shapers, but they are human.

Dikiyoba.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #9
Cool more spells and creations.
One question: Will the awakened be in Geneforge 4?
If so COOL!!! :D

--------------------
I hate you all
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Sholai are human, though. They aren't the same ethnicity as the Shapers, but they are human.

Dikiyoba.

That was my assumption. Besides, can you think of four other classes? Let us speculate:
- Servile (good at infiltration?)
- Outsider (Villager or whatever)
- Sholai (Sailor, I guess as to Shaper)
- Warrior (as to Guardian)
- Mage (as to Agent)

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Hip hip hooray! :)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Good point. I think there will be three classes that replace Shaper (Good at shaping, decent at magic, bad in combat), Guardian (Good at combat, decent in shaping, and bad in magic), and Agent (Good at Magic, decent in combat, and bad in shaping) but what about the other two? Maybe... a Sorcerer (Great at magic, decent at shaping, bad at combat) and a Servile(Good at combat, decent at magic,bad in shaping). Any of these could be a Sholai (except for Servile).

Chart of My Class Predictions:
Researcher (Good at shaping, decent at magic, bad in combat)
Warrior (Good at combat, decent in shaping, and bad in magic)
Assassin (Good at Magic, decent in combat, and bad in shaping)
Sorcerer (Great at magic, decent at shaping, bad at combat)
Servile (Good at combat, decent at magic, bad in shaping) Would actually affect gameplay and dialouge (e.g. People treat you with contempt or, you can't join the Loyalists).
All of the human four could possibly be a Sholai.

[ Friday, April 28, 2006 22:29: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
One more thing that I think I should throw out here is that I do not think that the Sholai will have a major part to play in the rest of the Geneforge saga.

This is why. The rest of the games will focus with the full, sickening unleashing of the powers of the Shapers, and everyone, human and creation, dealing with the aftermath.

That is why I don't really want the Sholai to be involved. They are staying well back from the crazy people. The Shapers and rebels are going to have to fix their problems on their own.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #14
Ooookay, so the Sholai won't be a character type.

[ Saturday, April 29, 2006 00:53: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The game will be smaller in size than Geneforge 3, but with a much higher plot density. I've tried to make the game have a more intricate plot and more involved quest chains, battles, and characters. I have some concern that the amount of talky interaction in the game will cost me hack-n-slash gamer money, and this bums me out, but it ended up being the sort of game I wanted to write, so here we are.
*A light shines down from above, and a course of angels sing*

Seriously, this is awesome. No need to play a pacifist just so I can stomach it anymore! Random creations related to the plot! NO MORE HACKING AND SLASHING!

I really don't think you should worry about hack-n-slash gamer money. Not many people who play your games play them for the adrenalin rush of hacking through skeletons. Even if they do, they shouldn't when they could easily be playing FPSs or next-gen RPGs. I think that the majority of your fan base does not like hack-n-slash, and will be very happy about the plot density.

(Out of curiosity, where does this one take place? Terrestia? :cool: )

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #16
Is it possible for a Vlish to wet himself?

I think I just did.

Unleashing the true power of the shapers... Ur Vlish! It'll be the most powerful creation ever.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #17
I'm sooo happy! Geneforge 4 and Cristhmas too! :)

Nothing other to say. Simply, I'm very happy. And very proud to have a Mac since I was 6.

Some questions:
- The system requiements: Panther will be enough?
- How much GF4 will cost? 25$ as usual?
- The old spells/creations won't be replaced, right?
- The Shaping Skills will have more importance, as we suggested?

Thanks.

[ Saturday, April 29, 2006 07:11: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #18
Heh. Mac users get G4 for Christmas. I guess the Windows folks will have to settle for a lump of coal in their stockings.

We shall eat candy canes and wage war. It shall be glorious. :P

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
Hmm. I was kind of betting on a serious Sholai angle, but now that Jeff says it, I guess that would be kind of a cop-out. The great war needs to be fought out, without irrelevant distractions. It will be very interesting if the player really gets a chance to change the outcome of the whole shootin' match.

I still think it would be cool to have the occasional Sholai onlooker, just to comment on the mayhem. And maybe walk in and take over afterwards. Trajkov's revenge would be a good sort of epilogue for the series, I feel.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Trajkov's revenge would be a good sort of epilogue for the series, I feel.
Probably won't happen though. The epilogue will probably be up to
you, the player. As always.

--------------------
Polaris
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #21
Well, but it isn't. After you walk into that final exit zone, Jeff tells you what happens, and what he tells depends on factors far beyond your control, even if you are one mighty player by the end of the game. So we could learn that the Sholai eventually colonize the former battlefields of the Shaper War, and that would be a sort of poetic justice on the Shapers and all their works.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #22
I think that he means that the ending is determined by your actions, and it is: you get different endings based on what allegiance you are.

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #23
"Seriously, this is awesome. No need to play a pacifist just so I can stomach it anymore! Random creations related to the plot! NO MORE HACKING AND SLASHING!"

Oh, I wouldn't want to overstate that case. There are plenty of zones swarming with monsters in need of ass-kicking. There is a war going on after all.

It's just that the ratio of story to fight is higher.

Once change I did forget to mention, though. I am making an effort to replace swarms of individual monsters with groups. I want to reduce the "walk 10 feet, tiny fight, walk 10 feet, tiny fight" syndrome.

This change should extend to all future games.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #24
That's what I meant. I define "hack & slash" as "turn corner, kill zombie, turn corner, kill zombie, turn corner, kill zombie, turn corner, kill BIG zombie, turn corner... etc." I have nothing against big battles that are related to the plot.

--------------------

Pages