A Few More Advance Words On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few More Advance Words On Geneforge 4
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #125
The games have definitely never said essence was injected into shapers. Isn't the basic idea that all living things have essence in them, and that shapers learn to harness their own essence in a specialized way, presumably growing better at it as they gain in skill?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #126
quote:
Originally written by Djuran Orb v. Arancaytog:

The games have definitely never said essence was injected into shapers. Isn't the basic idea that all living things have essence in them, and that shapers learn to harness their own essence in a specialized way, presumably growing better at it as they gain in skill?
I always imagined Essence as some kind of inner power which everything has, sort of liek the mitochlorians (or however they're spelt) in Star Wars. Every living thing has it, but only a few individuals (namely the Jedi) are lucky enough to be born with it in abundance.

I'm tempted to email JV and ask, but I don't really want my idea to be smashed by him.

Perhaps this is what happens with the Shapers? After all, not everyone is cut out to be a Shaper.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #127
Canisters are charged essence that is injected, or absorbed, in to the body.

Every being has some, but canister crazed shapers glow in the dark and become more essence than human tissue.

Using the Geneforge also involved large unhealthy amounts of essence going in to the body. The gloves slowed it down so the body might have a chance to absorb it.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #128
But canisters don't actually give you access to more essence. They basically rewrite part of your biology. Ditto with the geneforge. They use essence to achieve these effects, but the effects are not the same thing as the essence; the effects are not a direct use of that essence, they are the something that can be done as a result of what the essence does.

Regardless, shaping ability obviously doesn't depend on canister or geneforge use.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #129
On playing as a servile:

I think it would fun if you could be one of those serviles that gains magic by focusing until you drive yourself insane.

On balance of the classes:

I, personally, think they're balanced just fine. As some one said, it's a matter of how skilled and/or knowledgeable a player you are. Agents just seem to be the class most people are finding the secrets and strategies on the easiest.

For example, as a Shaper in GF2, put a little in leadership, a little in magic shaping and from this point on ALL SP into Intelligence, enter combat mode, run through the areas challenging no one, join the awakened, train in Vlish, if you know where to look grab a Vlish canister, make a vlish, go back to easy areas and nothing will be able to stand in it's way even on Torment, gain a couple lvls and now you have enough essence to make a Terror Vlish which will frighten away the mid level enemies it can't kill, continue to grab a few easy lvls till you have 125 essence, learn to make a Gazer and grab a Gazer canister, lvl till you have 250 essence, make an eyebeast.

Now every time you enter combat mode BAM! everything in sight is dead, or stunned long enough for to take your second turn and BAM! now it's dead. The only things you can't take on are the really higher lvl swarms of enemies, and you can take on even them if know the right strategies. By lvl 4 you can have a terror vlish, by 10 a Gazer, and by 16 an eyebeast. All of them less if you know where to sneak into to grab intelligence canisters and intelligence/shaping enhancing items.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #130
Side note: Shades/Ghosts must have essense too, since some can spray acid, right?

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #131
quote:
Originally written by The Ripper:

Side note: Shades/Ghosts must have essense too, since some can spray acid, right?
But wouldn't that be just plain old magic, as they're magical constructs. It would just use the essnge from the mage/thing that turned them into ghosts/shades. I'd assume that would weaken the spell holding them together (which is why they stop every now and then).

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 7040
Profile Homepage #132
Hint to Jeff: CANISTERS!!!!!!!!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF CANISTERS!!! please?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #133
Actually it would be interesting if through the game you essential follow the path of some canister using junky. Then towards the end game you could confront the altered and now deranged shaper. It would be a perspective on what the players character must seem like by the end of G1-G3.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #134
Or, in an even more bizzare twist, the player character from Gf3 could be the final boss of Gf4. Another boss could be a Geneforge-using player character from Gf1, who went off to make his own kingdom somewhere, but could get involved in larger politics again.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #135
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Or, in an even more bizzare twist, the player character from Gf3 could be the final boss of Gf4. Another boss could be a Geneforge-using player character from Gf1, who went off to make his own kingdom somewhere, but could get involved in larger politics again.
I had imagined the PC's of previous games being NPC's of subsequent games. I was disappointed twice.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #136
Double Post.

[ Friday, May 12, 2006 19:47: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #137
"I had imagined the PC's of previous games being NPC's of subsequent games. I was disappointed twice."

This will never happen. It just feels weird to me. And your characters are your characters ... I don't want to take control of them, beyond referring vaguely to what they did in the past.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #138
Well I didn't mean "disappointed" in the sense that I didn't like the games. Just that, what I predicted was false.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #139
What ending of G3 will it follow? Will there be Ur-Drakons roaming the land? Maybe you start of by meeting one. Will they be the 5th tier creation? Or will it follow the shaper ending? Will making and destroying Geneforges be the priority? Will it take place in the same time but on the mainland?

I am undecided. What do YOU think?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #140
I think I'm drunk.

I don't like being able to just create Ur-Drakons when it takes years of research to create a pool to transform just one existing powerful Drakon. In fact I think Drakons should be removed altogether. [EDIT] I mean, removed from the PC being able to SHAPE THEM. they're their own race.

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 19:23: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #141
I'd prefer to see new creations rather than being able to make Ur-Drakons. For the cost of essence it takes to make Drakons they are really not strong enough. My Drayks and Cryodrayks were nearly as strong after having gained a few levels from combat xp.

Having two or three Drayks/Cryodrayks will get you further than having one Drakon.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #142
The main purpose of creatures of the Ur-Drakon level is just to look cool. By the time you collect enough canisters to make them, you are so powerful that you don't really need them.

This is the main reason I hope new creatures in Gf4 will be of low to medium level, instead of super-ultra-powerful demi-gods. The power range is well balanced already and more creatures at the top of the chart will forse weaker old creatures to become obsolete even sooner, making the strategy of keeping a few creatures alive for a long time less viable.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #143
Ok, ok. I get it. You don't want to make an Ur-Drakon. But What ending wll it follow? Will it take place right after, a while after, or at the same time as G3? Will there be rebellions within each faction? Wll there be high ranking traitor spies? And finally.... will the Geneforge be already made?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #144
I was pretty sure we established it's soon after GF3 ... supposed to be the war between rebels and Shapers. The Geneforge itself won't play a big role from what I've heard.

Why doesn't the PC make a Geneforge? A good prequel would have us play as Danette.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #145
The problems of playing as Danette are:
1. You would be forced to play as a Shaper.
2. You would have to be a Loyalist.
3. Nothing to fight. The island isn't overrun by rogues.
4. If you played GF1, you probably have a pretty good idea of what happened, therefore, no new suprises.
5. You would start out very powerful.
6. There's the part about you dying...
7. Can't choose your own name.
8. No Rothgroths, Gazers, and other, newer creations.
9. You would start out as the Big Cheese. The boss, for those of you unfamiliar with English.
10. No "canister finding" element. They would all just be in a big lab.
11. Drayks are legal creations.
12. You would have to play as a woman.
13. The missions would probably end up as, fetch x of this, fetch y of that.
14. Lots of people know Sucia Island like the back of their hand.

[ Friday, May 12, 2006 22:45: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #146
quote:
Originally written by Mr.Bookworm:

12. You would have to play as a woman.
Considering the current Agent and Guardian graphics I don’t see how this would be any different.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #147
I'd like to see an option to destroy canisters instead of using them.

Seems, I don't know, wrong somehow that a Loyalist Shaper would just move along and leave something that dangerous behind.

I mean, that's just stupid.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #148
Okay, I retract that. Instead, play Trajkov in the events leading up to the PC's arrival on Sucia.

Geneforge: the Forging of the Sholai

Yeah. You could destroy Lankan's canister... I think you should be able to pick up other canisters and carry them with you. Even if they weigh ten pounds or something, it's worth selling them to "crazed canister junkies."

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #149
Do the shapers have the ability to shape plants? I mean beyond the turrets.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages