Roses of Reckoning (BoA) is Released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Roses of Reckoning (BoA) is Released!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
There's one piercing crystal and one dispel barrier scroll in the scenario. This should be exactly enough to break the 2 barriers you need to break.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4158
Profile Homepage #26
Third gravestone in the second row? I'm havin'a little trouble with that one. I just bought as many roses as I could and made educated guesses.
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #27
There are two plots of graves, one to the east of the entrance and the other to the north. The grave you're looking for is to the north. A dialog box will pop up to tell you you're in the right place. And that won't be the last one you'll see!

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
There are, and I guarantee you on this, more than one dispel-barrier devices in this scenario.
Look hard, it's not that difficult.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #29
Something you may want to consider adding is the ability to read the grave stones by giving them a te_special_property value of 39 like signs have. Then you could have the graves say amusing things like:

"If you can read this you're standing on my coffin."
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
I considered that, but Tim O'Brien's directions were clear enough.

None of the testers complained about it, anyway.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #31
Bravo for the first scenario! I liked very much the neuromantic desperance and all the advertising for BoE and other scenarios. Woo, the sexy publisher ... :D
hum) and ... no, I will not register BoE (can't play in 2D) but I will enjoy every BoE-scenario, when it's transcripted into BoA ... ;)

There should be a central place for new BoA-scenarios. What happens with Karzoth's Fort Emergence?

__ )
^ :cool: ^

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #32
Is it more advised to play this new BoA version than BoE version? There's a high possibility that I will buy BoE if I like its demo.

I don't think I'll get a lot of fun to play both versions so I would know the more advised version.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #33
The BoA version is better, although I wouldn't go so far as to call either of the versions "excellent". And I'd also say that playing both is worth-while. In my eyes, the two are at least different enough to warrant playing both, or at least the BoA version. The BoE version is... Mediocre, nothing more.
And spy.there: I won't be porting any of my scenarios, sorry. Buy BoE...!

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 16:41: Message edited by: Tentacle Monster ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #34
Thanks for the points. About porting a scenario from BoE to BoA, I agree that it's not the best advice. It doesn't seem that the difference between BoE and BoA is so major that playing a scenario in BoE will be less fun than in BoA.

Well, I could change my point of view, after to have play BoE demo and have buy it (or not!).

That was anyway a nice shot to have port it to BoA thanks for it, I'll try it once I will have finished Jeff scenario.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Vent:

It doesn't seem that the difference between BoE and BoA is so major that playing a scenario in BoE will be less fun than in BoA.

Well, I could change my point of view, after to have play BoE demo and have buy it (or not!).

Good luck. I tried playing E3 before A3 came out, and the interface was so horrid (to me) that I quit before I got out of the opening fort.
And I though graphics weren't a big deal to me....

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #36
Aye I agree. The BoE interface isnt the best, i have a new computer, and it doesnt work well with my computer (try running it in Carbon, shiver)
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Tentacle Monster:

I considered that, but Tim O'Brien's directions were clear enough.

None of the testers complained about it, anyway.

Well, I forgot the directions so you my want to have the option of asking him to repeat them. Didn't he say that the grave was to the east though?
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #38
Tim O'Brien says (or said in the beta) that the exit is "through the room to the east," or something of that sort, yet the exit in that room leads north. I did whine about this during testing, but I fear TM's otherwise wise policy of ignoring anything I say on the grounds that I'm a barbiturated gibbon may have let him down in this instance.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #39
I dunno if i trust any direction given to me by a "Literary Necromancer" anyway. BWahahaha. I basically just ran around until i found the roses, then ran around until i tripped over Koji's grave. Its not too too hard. Its certainly easier than the vampires :)
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #40
Good work TM! Nice solid first non-Spidweb scenario. I loved the moral ambiguity you kept throwing in. Of course, since I have this issue with authority, I always betray the Empire every chance I get, so I was kind of dissappointed that I didn't get to wipe out Ashton Vale.

Oh well you can't have everything :cool:

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Stupid NEwbie Man:

Good luck. I tried playing E3 before A3 came out, and the interface was so horrid (to me) that I quit before I got out of the opening fort.
And I though graphics weren't a big deal to me....[/QB]
Well very sorry for BoE lovers and I don't want start a comparison thread but well.

If there was only graphics... Anyway you bet well there's mostly no chance I ever buy BoE. For plenty reasons I have no whish to push my try of the demo further. The only reason would be to be able play a scenario and be enough hypnotized to succeed to get used to the game. Alas the demo scenario are those of BoA minus one so this doesn't motivate me at all to try further the BoE demo.

To know there are giant scenario available if I buy the game doesn't help because without a real try to change my mind I can bet there's mostly no chance I get succeed play any scenario in this game.

So TM, thanks for this port!

For Nethergate it's different, ok design is much more near to BoE and the subject is intriguing. I'll push the demo further and there's a good chance I'll buy the game.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #42
It's not a port, though. -_-;

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #43
There's a link to a PC version of RoR on the site Tentacle Monster provided. How come you can create levels for the PC with the BoA editor when niether the game nor the editor is avalible for Windows? It's a great feature because it provides more levels for both PC/Mac users, but it seems almost strange that it really works. Doesn't the PC and the Mac use different level filetypes? Then how can the editor compile files for a game version that isn't finished?
:confused:
This game and editor continue to amaze me! :D

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #44
The only difference in files is the graphics - scenarios are fully cross-platform.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #45
hmm, TM, mind if i would port-remake some of your scenarios? making from scratch is just...which is probably why i was never good at simcity
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #46
I, uh, strongly doubt that TM would let you, since he doesn't plan on doing it himself.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

I, uh, strongly doubt that TM would let you, since he doesn't plan on doing it himself.
Most people aren't porting their scenarios because they don't think it's worth the effort. If someone else wanted to, I doubt they'd mind as long as it was well done. (Unless they're one of those "up with BoE, down with BoA" people. :) )

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #48
I have tried the demo of BoE and I also checked descriptions of Exile trilogie and Avernum trilogie. So now it seems to me obvious that avernum is the port of exile to a new engine.

And well it is new so overall the new version is much better. How it could be different? Appart if the author was an idiot and had just full luck to succeed Exile.

I can understand that some features could have been lost through the design evolution but overall that's just a wide improvement in many area.

For me that justify fully a port (or more exactly an adaptation ^_^). But ok I can understand that an author could be bored of the game or just doesn't want to spend plenty more time in something he had already finished a long time ago.

[ Friday, April 16, 2004 12:47: Message edited by: Vent ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #49
You can try to port some of my scenarios if you want. Good luck, though- They're too complicated for someone who hasn't made any scenarios to port. Heck, I'm not even sure that I could port any of them anymore.

--------------------

Pages