Roses of Reckoning (BoA) is Released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Roses of Reckoning (BoA) is Released!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #50
Oh, I dunno. Teh Grich could probably be ported without a lot of trouble.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #51
I think he was referring to his actual scenarios. :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #52
I thought this scenario was an excellent first attempt. I got the "Guards not loading" errors, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

But just one thing: I do not think this is fairly classed as a Beginning game. I am quite an experienced player, and I had to use every (legal*) cheat going, and finally resort to the Character Editor. There was just no way for my party to restore any spell points much of the time, the only potions I ever found were a couple of Energy Potions (not even elixirs) in the final Castle.

The other issue was the Str=6 doors in the Castle. None of my party had Str at 6, and my last lockpicks had broken (on one of the myriad Str=9999 doors). You don't get a warning that you're going to be trapped in the Castle, there are no more lockpicks around (that I could find) and there's no way to increase stats with no monsters left in the Hallway. So I was essentially trapped. I had to edit in more lockpicks.

*By legal cheat - I mean after every battle I would take them back out into the open, put Enduring Barrier on them, rest my Priest back up to full spell points, and go back in again. Not really a particularly fun gaming tactic.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #53
I'm sure it would be quite good for a first attempt, but in actual fact this is the author's eighteenth scenario.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #54
Yeah, but it's his first BoA scenario. Learning how to balance BoE scenarios certainly took TM long enough. :P
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #55
I beat RoR-BoA with a level 1 singleton.
If you can't beat it with a level 1 party, it's no skin off of your nose to use a party up to level 6. That is, of course, what the scenario recommends.

EDIT: And for reference, you should have enough energy potions in this scenario, if not an excess. (My singleton only used one in the entire scenario.) One of the ruby skeletons drops an energy potion, there are two energy potions in two of the crypts (which are way too easy to break into when the party gets Harold), and an energy potion in the library. Plus, each Vampire has a 15% chance to drop an energy potion. There are 20 Vampires total, meaning that you should have on average three energy potions from them. This means that you can have 4-24 energy potions in this scenario, and odds are you will have 7. (And that aside, why would a level 1 party need an elixir, anyway?)

[ Monday, April 19, 2004 12:13: Message edited by: Tentacle Monster ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #56
Wow. I gave up fighting the four ruby skeletons using a singleton (who entered the scenario at level 7). I was able to defeat them, but not without using all my abilities (Divinely Touched, and the two javelins I had left after I was trapped.) After using up what I had I was unable to manage fighting the vampires, etc. The ruby skeletons are really strong; especially in those positions against one person with only one level of priest.

Its a pretty tough scenario, overall. The only flaw I've found so far is (aside from a few bugs like the Guards not loading, typos, and being able to see stairs outside from in the inn) that the plot is kind of nonsensical (he built an altar in a tunnel while running away to spawn some vampires?)

'Tis a good scenario.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #57
The way I beat the scenario was, admittedly, fairly devious.

My character was an archer with Natural Mage and Fast on Feet. He had no mage spells, but all of the priest spells up to Endurant Barrier (which I used often!). I used the make-one-monster-hostile trick to get the town's guards to massacre each other, allowing me to pick up their Crude Crossbows and Steel Bolts. Entering the encounters in combat mode helped.

The four-ruby ambush was a killer for me. The method I used to keep my archer alive was summoning three shades, entering in combat mode (allowing me to skip a round of abuse) and just plain getting lucky with 5AP every so often.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #58
I don't understand why playing and testing a scenario with a singleton. This game isn't at its best with a singleton but with a team. At least it's how I feel it.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #59
The point of playing it with a singleton is to justify its difficulty rating. It's still a damn hard scenario comparatively, but it's definitely not impossible (and I suspect that more advanced players like Thuryl/Imban had a much easier run-through than I did).

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #60
And you are using the difficulty settings??
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #61
I admit, I use Normal difficulty. Torment difficulty would probably make beating RoR with a level-1 singleton outright impossible, but that's why they call it Torment, now isn't it? (I suppose Torment is easy to most people, but RoR is, as I have said, more difficult than Vogel's pre-packaged scenarios.)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #62
I used the same sort of build as TM, and got through the scenario relatively unscathed.

I could, if I so wished, go through that scenario with four priests and not take a point of damage. I dispute that RoR is *that* hard, as long as you use a little thing called tactics.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #63
But Morgan, the fact that tactics are required is what separates RoR's difficulty from a scenario like VotDT's- it's comparatively more difficult, if not difficult period. Jeff doesn't unleash Rubies or Sleep Ray on a level 1 party. :P

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #64
I haven't played yet your scenario and it's not about it and I don't complain that it is too difficult or not.

I'm just beginner so for sure there are still many possibilities I don't see. Well I'm also not new to computer games nor rpg.

So it's just a feeling that there's something wrong in testing with a singleton to prove an ok difficulty. Tactics possiblity are the same? I don't think so as I don't think so that difficulties are the same.

All the gold to spend for one char instead of shared by 4, all experience to only one char (yes far to mean 4 times higher level :-), no weak char, singleton could be more stronger char than the strongest in a party of 4, with singleton you could abuse of combat/not combat modes to move/combat when in party of 4 it's boring/lost of efficiency.

That's plenty differences that could makes tactics different or with a different efficiency.

A way to test difficulty, ok, but I don't feel it that good.

Not to mention what about parties deliberetaly with weakness for fights and/or other strenght area to compensate a bit. The singleton will hardly test that sort of difficulty.

Or parties paladin like that refuse do wrong things even the steal of an object in a house even if it isn't marked NY. Those will have much less money in plenty scenario.

I don't mean at all that the difficulty setting offered by the game is a better tool. It is more a user tool and thanks to it to got me more fun in Jeff scenario.

Finally, I feel that beginner parties require more care about having a not too high difficulty than higher level parties. To rise difficulty, make a challenging scenario and force tactics during fights or to manage scenario progression, it's much better choice to use higher level parties.

Ok I go playing your scenario. :)

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 04:27: Message edited by: Vent ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #65
I might be able to defeat a wet paper bag. On points. If you gave me twelve rounds. And, in the interests of testing RoR for "balance," I took those combat stupids and applied them to the weakest party of four that I -- or rather, the pre-packaged character types -- could design (didn't have Enduring Barrier, among other things). Even with all that against me, I only had trouble in one fight, and that trouble arose because outdoor fights in Blades are badly conceived in a number of ways, so the fault, if it is one, is not entirely TM's.

And I'm not sure TM plays singletons to test for balance. I believe he plays them to confirm Alcritas' suggestions about his parentage.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #66
Ok I have played it and got a good fun, thanks for it TM :) . Well I must says it has various minor bugs and some flaws you don't see in bundled secnario. But I had a good time and that was the more important.

About the difficulty, I don't know. I don't see how dispel barrier spell could be linked to this point, it's for level 1 party that can hardly know that spell isn't it? I saw no way to learn new spell or did I haven't seen something? About that, if there are no way to learn new spell, it's something that could be improved.

I certainly had to redo more than one fight and had to apply some coward tactics as to stay behind door, shoot from far (my rogue the only bow user proves to be mostly the more usefull), more than once start fight already in fight mode, prepare a bit some fights. All in all I agree the difficulty is ok, even if sometimes it's a bit special. I think I killed all beasts but carefully avoid non hostile vampires a lot too high level.

In hard mode I found it impossible.

That said my party was probably a bit strong because of special choices I did to change from those previously used.

About energy potion I agree there are plenty and that's good.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #67
I don't place barriers without means to dispel them. There are two barrier-dispelling items in this scenario (for both barriers respectively), one of which you can get without a fight. Search the Crypts area of Kurojutsu's manor more thoroughly.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by Kennedy:

On another note the game did not take away some of my roses despite them having custom graphics, when I started a new scenerio I still had them! But they did not have any graphics.
Uh-oh, s'ghetti-o!

This is no doubt a bug not exclusive to RoR. Better give Jeff a call after some testing. I'd do this myself, but I'm, uh... occupied (lazy). I'm not apt with custom graphics yet, so could someone test out this bug?

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #69
That parts is well done, I saw three secrets including this one, not too easy and all was well done with a logic or a hint well done. The visual hint for this one is cool. I have put a review in Lyceum (but forgot mention the good secrets). You could find it tough, that's me ;) I still enjoyed it, thanks again.
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #70
Testing a singleton does NOT equate to a valid test of a normal four-strong party experience.

It is *harder* when you have you have four characters - two weak spellcasters that you are constantly trying to protect, that keep getting in the way. One character would be relatively easy - s/he gets all the potions, all the armour, (much more experience?) and all you would need for this scenario is a couple of levels of Priest spells for Repel Spirit.

When you have actually tried playing this scenario with a conventional four-member party, then see how you feel about it being recommended "Beginner".

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #71
When I said that I beat the scenario with a level 1 singleton, I did not imply that I had not previously played it with a higher-number party. I have, in fact, gone through with a level 1 party- admittedly not, however, the pre-fabricated party that many players would attempt. The four-ruby ambush was vastly easier with a level 1 party, and the rest was simple for both me and my singleton.

And for reference, are there really any items worth having in RoR other than the Cloak? Also, I didn't need nearly all of the energy potions for both my singleton or my 4-person party.

I'm noticing a few "reviews" on Spidweb that are taking a more insult-the-scenario-author tone and are bereft of comprehension of the texts described therein. (And they insult modernism? Phaugh. :P ) I'm pleasantly surprised that the seemingly-intuitive aspects of this scenario could be so mistifyingly vague to others. It is, after all, a dire amalgam of irony and flattery.

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #72
I think RoR is much easier with a full party than with a singleton. There are a fair few monsters (vampires/ruby skeletons) that do a lot of undodgeable damage, so it's easier with a party that can kill them faster.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #73
If it's harder with a 4PC, why play with a 4PC? Surely in balancing combat a designer can expect the player to use the best party he can?

Cripes, I'm defending TM.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #74
Playing with a four party member is much more fun.

Well how write it? Am I alone to feel that this insistance about singleton play looks a lot like 8 years old kids that shout, "See how am I good". That's a bit kiddish. :P

Pages