The 24 Hour Contest

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The 24 Hour Contest
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #0
Jack Bauer jokes not welcome...

The idea is simple-- design a scenario in a single day. The rules, as settled on by myself and TM:
quote:
1. Work begins at 12 am EST of the contest date. Entries must be submitted by midnight EST of the contest date (TBA)

2. Scenario must be made entirely on the contest day. Creature scripts/terrain scripts that have already been written are acceptable, but all other script work and town design needs to be done that one day.

3. Once entries are submitted, designers will have another 3 days before judging begins during which they can beta test.

4. Judges will rank scenarios from first to last, a la the 1/10 judging. Contest participants are eligible to judge, but their scores will not be counted until their own scenarios are eliminated. Judging will begin 3 days after the initial deadline, and will last as long as is deemed necessary (Depending on how many judges we have and how many entries)
That's about it. We still need to decide on a day for the contest. Most likely we'll wind up doing it on a Saturday or Sunday, but we need to figure out who is free when.

If you're interested in participating post here and weigh in on what day is good for you. If you wish to judge please post as well.

That is all.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
So, I'm assuming it's basic NaNoWriMo-esque rules: you can plan ahead, but no material written beforehand can be used verbatim. Would sketching out towns and outdoors on paper beforehand be acceptable?

What about custom graphics? Do they have to be made in one day too?

--------------------
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.
- Steven Wright
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Planning ahead is alright, but nothing handwritten. Basically as long as you haven't put pen to paper you're fine.

As for graphics, anything explicitly for this scenario must be made the day of, but general graphics (like the Louvre etc) are fine. The same applies to scripts. If it's already been written (Codex or used in other scenarios) then it's alright to use. But writing a new script ahead of time for a boss battle or something is not.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Hm... so we can gather graphics beforehand, as long as we're not making them?

EDIT: Oh, and my laptop = busted, so I can't participate quite yet.

[ Monday, July 09, 2007 20:06: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
Yes, that is correct. You are allowed to plan ahead, and this includes what graphics you intend to use. If you want to download these graphics and put them in a folder somewhere then that's fine-- it's not like it'd save you more than a few moments.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
Okay, help me out here, is EST GMT - 5? If so, then I'll start working (if I actually do) at 6pm and stop working 6pm the next day.

Hmmm. I'd like to join in and see what I can do in such a short time, but I don't really know if I'll have the time to do it... from the 19th of july to the 2nd of august I'm in Russia, then follow three weeks or so of work, and then I'm in Oxford for a week... So for me the best day will be somewhere between the 2nd of august and the 23rd of august, but I can't really say what day is best, sorry.

EDIT: So what I was thinking: if the date decided doesn't work out for me, would it be possible for me, as an exception, to do the work 24 hours before or after the actual date? I already got an idea that will also work well with TNS, and should be short enough for completion in 24 hours (Probably less).

[ Tuesday, July 10, 2007 00:22: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
Well, I've done it once, so I know I can do it. Why the hell not.

Just a few things. Firstly, I'm prolly not gonna be able to get online at deadline time. This means that I'm gonna be submitting at a different time to other people, and starting earlier to boot - prolly around 6pm GMT, although I tend to use the internet when I can due to shared access...

Secondly, I can't do it this weekend, but I should be getting a new laptop this Saturday (hopefully), which means I'll be good after that. And a Sunday would be best, since I work Friday night, and would need to start at 6pm Friday to submit for 6pm Saturday, which is clearly not going to happen.

I hope those don't cause too big a problem - if it does, then I guess I'd be willing to step down and not enter.

--------------------
You are sleeping, you do not want to believe...

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Okay, help me out here, is EST GMT - 5?
Yes.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
As for a potential date, I beg of you: Nothing before the 21st of July. Job makes it impossible, even on weekends (because I'm in such sleep debt that I need them to finish out my time).

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #9
I'm willing to judge. But as for my availability:

I'm taking a short trip (2-3 days) sometime this month, don't know when yet, though. And I'll definitely be gone from July 31st to August 7th.

[ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 07:55: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #10
I know Tm asked me this and I said I would, but I've got to get going to Texas this weekend and I'll be busty for the next several weeks. Sorry I can't participate.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Dahak:

I'll be busty for the next several weeks.
Sorry, but that was too funny to let go. :P

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Why not just do an honor system? Set up a week or two in which the contest is open, and then let the designers choose which continuous 24 hour period is best for them. Then, everyone wins!

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
Salmon has a good point. I mean, if someone wanted to cheat, they could do so anyway by starting the scenario before the appointed day. I think we can trust people to constrain themselves to 24 hours. Now, if someone makes an epic, we know they cheated. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
Yeah, it would be an honour system regardless. Though how would beta-testing be done? Staggered as well, or all at once?

--------------------
Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Okay, here is the deal.

To indicate you will be playing, send an email to Lazarus, and then another immediately prior to starting the 24hour clock. Within 24 hours send him a zipped copy of your scenario. Start your beta testing. Send Lazarus the beta-tested version within a time limit, maybe 3 days?

This means that within 3 days of the end of the window, Laz should have a pile of scenarios to put on an eyes-only board at SV for judging. Then, unlike on ubb, the board can be made open for public viewing. And scorn of the losers. Always important for us non-designers to spend plenty of time scorning.

Edit changed limit to 3, in line with op

[ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 21:51: Message edited by: Jumpin' Sarcasmon ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #16
I would have preferred to have everybody working on one day-- I thought it'd be a little more contest-ish than just having everybody do their own thing-- but I'm growing increasingly doubtful about how practical this would be. Even if we choose a Saturday where most people would be free, there will always be a few who work that day (like myself...) or are otherwise unable to participate. I mean look at the BoA chat turnouts-- half the people who say they're coming usually are no shows, and that's just a few hours, not a whole day.

I was already thinking that perhaps a make up day would be necessary, but I suppose simply extending it to a contest week rather than a contest day would be the best way to be all-inclusive.

So as cool as it'd be to have a good portion of the Blades community all scrambling to turn out a scenario between morning and midnight of Saturday the xth, ultimately I'd rather have the entire community (or at least as many as want to participate) choosing a day that suits them and doing their own thing.

Thoughts? Would this be better for everybody? It's sure as hell going to make it easier for me to schedule (Although we still need to pick a week. :P )

[ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 22:18: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
Nanowrimo demonstrates that having to clear your schedule just adds to the suspense. :P

(However, timezones are far more crucial when it's only a single day, so I agree).

[ Thursday, July 12, 2007 01:18: Message edited by: jg.faust ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #18
The week sounds like a better idea, in my opinion. Although the day would have been cooler. :P

--------------------
You are sleeping, you do not want to believe...

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
I'm still down with doing a one-day thing. I've been basically cut off from all things BoA for several months, and I could use a jolt to get back into it. And I agree with Laz that having everyone go at once seems much more fun.

Still, I'm fine with doing this over a week. Just not yet.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
In a week I'm bound to have at least one or two free days, so I'm perfectly happy with this way of doing it. For me any week between the second of august until the 23rd of august is fine.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #21
As long as the contest isn't held between the 27th of July and 5th of August then I might as well try to slap something together.

--------------------
Some of these BoA scenarios might be good:
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #22
I'll be gone from the 22-24 of July. I don't think the deadline will be before then anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

[ Saturday, July 14, 2007 16:33: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #23
*Bump*

My first post had been edited to reflect the new rules. Familiarize yourself with the updated rules, as there have been some pretty big changes.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
I could have sworn that I had already volunteered as a judge... Well, I'll judge, assuming this post isn't a figment of my imagination. :)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes

Pages