Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #125
:eek:

Wow.

That really look.... enormous.
With a two high door, do you mean a door that is really very big, like big castle entry gates or something (if you understand what I mean). By the way, is there something you would really like to see in a scenario?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #126
2 high door = door + wall above (looks to be 2 stories high w/ door on the first story)

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #127
I would like to see a scenario that doesn't suck. With lots of interesting dialogue.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #128
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I would like to see a scenario that doesn't suck. With lots of interesting dialogue.
The part "that doesn't suck" i really can't give you. What I think is interesting, might bore you enormously. but the dialog part I certainly could give you, but could you be a bit more specific about that? interesting: is that more humour, more questions, better spelling perhaps?

Any other requests?

[ Wednesday, July 27, 2005 04:34: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #129
Yes, please, better spelling! The spelling and grammars in most of the scenarios has been atrocious! There have been times I wished I could bore my eyes out. I have gone through several dialog scripts in several scenarios and edited their grammar and spelling because I could stand it no longer. Proper capitalization would also be a plus.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #130
I have a problem with scripting, again. How can I deduct from the HOLE party with one call xp or hp/sp? Also, in dialogue, is there a way to display one text, when something happens the other text (like a quest), and when that thing (the quest) is over, it returns to the original text (I don't mean DEP_ON_SDF, because that changes only once the texts)?

I had more questions, but I forgot them.

EDIT:
I rememdered one: what exactly is an event? is something you don't notice, or something that displays text? how do I use it?

[ Monday, August 01, 2005 06:15: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #131
Use award_party_xp to give xp to all the members of the party. To change sp and hp, you can make the usual calls with 1000 for which_char_or_group. (Group 0 is the party.)

To display dialog more flexibly than DEP_ON_SDF, use add_string and remove_string to show and hide different protions of the text.

An event seems to be something Jeff added to make it easier to make a large number of things in the scenarion depend on something occurring. The only calls that use/affect them are day_event_happened and set_event_happened. Events appear to be only used internally by your scripts, the player does not know if they are being used or not. In fact, as far as I know, no one has bothered to use them in a scenario, since you can do all the same things with SDF's.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #132
Although change_char_health and change_char_energy can take negative values, award_party_xp can't. You'll need to use four change_char_xp calls if you want to drain xp from the whole party.

[ Monday, August 01, 2005 10:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #133
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

An event seems to be something Jeff added to make it easier to make a large number of things in the scenarion depend on something occurring. The only calls that use/affect them are day_event_happened and set_event_happened. Events appear to be only used internally by your scripts, the player does not know if they are being used or not. In fact, as far as I know, no one has bothered to use them in a scenario, since you can do all the same things with SDF's.
Events are in there for backwards compatibility with BoE, which had events for equally inexplicable reasons.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #134
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

To display dialog more flexibly than DEP_ON_SDF, use add_string and remove_string to show and hide different protions of the text.
So do I use the code function i the dialogue node to use this? Maybe could you give an example, because still isn't really clear to me how Is should do this.

About the giving xp, I was afraid i'll have to do it that way. I thought that that was the way, but I thought I'd better ask first.

I think the events I'll simply drop and don't do anything with them, although I gather from what I saw in the editor, that I'll need them when doing something with destroying towns and that sort of things?

Anyway, Thanks for everyone who helped me here. Scripting again is getting easier.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #135
The released scenarios have plenty of examples. Bahssikava, Mad Ambition, Canopy, and a few others have about as much example code as you could possibly want. Here's one, modified from LP:

begintalknode 2;
state = 1;
personality = 20;
nextstate = 1;
condition = 1;
question = "We are the ones you sent for. What should we do?";
text1 = "_When you have finished... finished... finished, you can return here._ He pauses. _For your reward._";
text3 = "_Go to Castle Puteum in the northwest and look for Putidus._ The lord twitches.";
code =
if (get_flag(2,1) == 0) // hasn't received mission
remove_string(3);
else
remove_string(1);
break;
You don't need events at all. You can destroy towns without them using the clear_town call.

[ Monday, August 01, 2005 23:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #136
Thanks very much, but also if I would look in the code, I wouldn't know what to search for anyway, because I didn't quite get the thing Niemand explaind to me. Thanks very much Kelandon.

Again, you guys save my life! Thanks very much. :D

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #137
I've encountered something very strange in the editor. It could be that the game displays it right, but I'll ask it anyway. (By the way, I ordered BoA just now, so hopefully I'll get it tomorow or the day after tomorow). when I switch in the 3Deditor to the view you'll have in the game, the cliffs and mountain walls are usually not heigher then 1. I can't find a way to change this. Is this corrected by the game, or am I doing something wrong.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #138
Okay, you could be talking about a couple of things.

In towns, wall heights are set in the Town Details menu, and this is correctly displayed by the 3D Editor.

In the outdoors, wall heights are automatically 2 and you can't change this, and this is also correctly displayed by the 3D Editor. However, if you want to muck with this a little, you can raised the tile that the wall is on.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #139
I was talking about the outdoors.

So what you say, is to raise the ground? I always saw these huge sort of cliffs in VoDT. I thought these were just walls. So these are cliffs? not walls. Thanks Kelandon, Hopefully I could tet soon when I get my code, so I wouldn't need to bug you with these questions all the time.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #140
HELP!!!

I registered BoA, put in my scenerio, and started it. When I wanted to talk to somebody, the game said: You are trying to talk while no dialogue node is loaded
I did give the creatures a dialogue node. the place to put it in is memory cel 3, right? otherwise that's my own fault.

the other thing is, that I can't get out of town. i pas the town boundaries, but I don't get out of town! Help! I don't understand this. maybe its because i moved the town boundries?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #141
Well, you should have all the dialogue you've written on a separate text file. What I'm trying to say is if your town script is called town1.txt, then you should write all the dialogue for that town on a file called town1dlg.txt

As for the town boundaries. You probably expanded them too much. Decrease the size of the boundaries a little then try again.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #142
the town boundaries are now their original place. Indeed, Now I can get out of town.

The script and so on for the dialogue seems to be right. The is called "t12fort" The dialogue script is called "t12fortdlg." This is right, according to what you say. Still I have the problem i mentioned.
the exact error is: You are trying to talk while no dialogue script is loaded.

An other strange thing. When walking on normal ways I my scenario, you hear the sound of stepping on rubble, not the normal foot step. You only hear the foot step when stepping on a road that lies from north to south.

I've been thinking. maybe this is all caused because of me trying to test a scenario that was written on Widows, on a macintosh?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #143
You have set the town script to be t12fort using the scenario editor, right? If so I yield the floor to someone who knows the editor better and might be able to help you.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #144
That's fine with me. In the meantime, I've discovered none of the scripts with the special node work either. I'm alomst certain this has to do with the fact I made the scenario on the Windows and am now trying to play it on a macintosh. I'm going to load it in the macintosh editor version, were i hope it wil restore itself.

EDIT:
I just loaded it in the Macintosh editor, but its still the same in the game. its as if the game doesn't know which script its shoud look for, although I put in the town details window the name of the script it should take. One thing that did work was the script i made for an outdoor section.

There are more problems I don't understand. For example: When you step out of the previuosly mentioned fort, you step out on the place once warrior's grove had been, beause that was the starter town, and I moved it to this fort.

EDIT 2:
In other scenario's I also heard the "stepping on ruble" sound on roads, so I guess that's OK. Its still puzzeling me why this happend with the scipts. i have an older version here of my scenario. I was wondering if i could use it to let the computer recognize the newer .bas file as a BoA editor document. Bacause, you see, the computer seems to see the .bas document as a BBEdit document, after I transfer it from the PC to the Mac. is there a way of changing this? Is there a was to make a new .bas file for this scenario?

I have lots of questions, haven't I.

EDIT 4:
In one of my towns, I noticed the game said there were errors. can anyone look at this bit of code and say what's wrong? the game says there is some unknown code.

Does anybody have a clue? (by the way, the game said "line 16". Does that mean, the 16th line with actual code, or just the 16th line of the document?

EDIT 3:
Yes I know. The EDIT's are becoming really very much.

I'm seeing now, that because of errors, the scripts don't work, and that's the reason for the "people can't tak and special nodes don't work" problem.

So I'm looking at the scripts, and the game is really getting on my nerves. It constantly says that there are lines that are overlong or don't end. Now what I don't understand, is what the problem in the script is. What I do see, is that the problem occurs at every "if" sentence. So where exactly do I put the end(); calls? I only put them if there's nothing else to do and the game knows that he can stop now, right?

Is this all right?

EDIT 5:

The code's weren't necessary anymore, so I removed them.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 02:58: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #145
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

I've discovered none of the scripts with the special node work either. I'm alomst certain this has to do with the fact I made the scenario on the Windows and am now trying to play it on a macintosh.
Everything about scenarios is cross-platform except for the graphics. This cannot be the problem. You have a script error of some kind. This causes the game to stop running script. You need to look for the error in the printed text — it will be in red.

quote:
When you step out of the previuosly mentioned fort, you step out on the place once warrior's grove had been, beause that was the starter town, and I moved it to this fort.
Go to the Outdoor menu and choose Set Starting Location. Then put the starting location wherever it's supposed to be.

quote:
Bacause, you see, the computer seems to see the .bas document as a BBEdit document, after I transfer it from the PC to the Mac.
This happens sometimes, but it doesn't matter. As long as the .bas file still has the extension .bas, it should read.

quote:
In one of my towns, I noticed the game said there were errors. can anyone look at this bit of code and say what's wrong? the game says there is some unknown code.
Whew. You have a lot of errors in your code. A handful of things: in dialogue, all of your text should be "text1" and "text2" and so on. Do NOT separate these with a space, as in "text 1" or "text 2." Do NOT fail to include the number, as in "text."

Overlong or unending strings mean that the strings you've written are longer than 256 characters (including the beginning and ending quotes).

Do NOT use the end call. You don't know how to, and it's rarely useful for beginners. I'm finding it very hard to read your mis-written code and figure out what you're trying to do, but I don't think anything you've done here requires an end call.

If you want more than one thing to happen after an if call, you need to use brackets, like this:
if (get_flag(3,1) == 2) {
message_dialog("message","");
set_flag(3,1,3);
}
else {
message_dialog("other message","");
set_flag(3,2,1);
}
Also, as a general rule, you need to indent less than you currently are indenting, but this is just to make your scripts readable; the game doesn't care.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 09:13: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #146
THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

I already figured out there were probably may mistakes. I my confusion after the problems occured, I probably tried to reapair things, with the result I messed it up even more.

about the dialogue things, thanks. I really didn't knew that.

About the end(); calls: at which places should I place them exactly? i don't really understand that. I looked at some scripts for the answer. it didn't do anything but confuse me.

About the problem with the starter town, that's what i did. Should I do it a second time? just to make sure?

About the brackets with "if" sentences: I discovered that about 15 minutes ago, before I read your post.

About the 256 characters, thanks! that I didn't knew to.

You know, kelandon, if it weren't for you, who helped whenever i needed it, my scenario would be SO bad, that it probably didn't even would make it until the testin phase.

THANKS!!!!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #147
If your party isn't starting in the outdoors where you chose the starting location to be, you may have to check and make sure that you actually put the starting location in the right place (or that the party is starting in the right town).

As for "end" calls, they make the game stop reading script and let the player act in order to go to the next turn. This normally happens whenever the game runs out of script to read (i.e. it hits a "break"), but an end makes it happen sooner.

Here's an example:
if (get_flag(2,0) != 0)
end();

set_flag(2,0,1);
The first time through, the "if" part isn't true, so the "end" doesn't run. Instead, the flag gets set and the message pops up. The second time this state gets called, the "if" part is true, so the "end" does run, and the state stops entirely. The flag isn't set, and the message doesn't pop up, because the game doesn't even read that. This is an example of a one-time message.

Here's something that does the same thing:
if (get_flag(2,0) == 0) {
set_flag(2,0,1);
}
The first time through, the "if" part is true, so the flag gets set and the message pops up. The second time, none of this is true, so the game keeps reading to find something to do, but it finds nothing and stops when it comes to the end of the state.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 09:32: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #148
remove screen stretching plz

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my audial and visual art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
Alexandria - The Blades of Exile Scenario database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
Polaris - Free porn here
Odd Todd - Fun for the unemployed (and everyone else too)
They Might Be Giants - Four websites for one of the greatest bands in existance
--------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #149
Thanks, Kelandon. I understand it now.

In the meantime, I fixed about everything, i think. I didn't try it as yet, but I will soon.

The script that I showed you, th one that was really badly written? Its not only confusion what made it bad, but also that its the first script I've ever written. I already thought it was bound to have a lot of mistakes.

quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

remove screen stretching plz
I'd love to, but I don't know how to.

EDIT:
I also discovered why the party ended up in the wrong place after leaving the starting town: The starting location in the OUTDOORS was wrong. So Kelandon, you were right again.

Thanks

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 01:06: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages