Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #100
Thank you Drakey and Thralni; I'll try it as soon as I get home this afternoon, and I am on a Mac :)
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #101
Always glad to help somebody out.

A few posts ago, I asked about the cutscene, if anybody could take a look at it, to see if its indeed good what I did. I think I can check this actually myself though, but a look of the expert is always advisable (I think).

The teleportation problem, I'm using at the moment Kelandon's manner, but if better will be posted, I maibe will try those also. (Sorry Drakey, but you's was a bit more complicated, and I want it as simple as poosible, as I don't always understand the code's, but do want them to understand, so I prefer simpler ones. Sorry). So if somebody has an other solution, please post (I think I asked this for the third time now... I wouldn't ask it any more, but keep posting.)

Adios! :)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #102
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

The teleport part call should be in a place where the party normally can't get right? like solid stone or something, behind a wall? if yes, does it matter if its out of town boundries? (because what space alse there is to be chosen from in a cave?)
It just has to be out of the party's current line of sight. I was trying to remember if teleport_party refreshes the screen, but surely it must, so unfortunately, Drakey's method is probably better (unless you can actually put them in an area of pure black, which still might look weird). Unless, of course, you've tried it and it works.

i = 29;//29 is the highest char number in the town
while (char_ok(i))
{i = i + 1 }

put_straight_zap(56,42,9,38,4);
put_boom_on_space(9,38,2,0);
place_monster(9,38,138,0);
set_character_facing(i,4);
set_character_pose(i,0);
run_animation_sound(54);
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
This is kind of an odd way of doing this. First of all, I don't think it will work. The call place_monster always places a create with a number of a summoned creature (even if you set the monster to be a normal creature), which is to say it starts with 86 and counts up. Probably better to do it this way:
i = 119;
while (char_ok(i))
{i = i - 1 }

place_monster(9,38,138,0);
put_boom_on_char(i,2,0);
set_character_facing(i,4);
run_animation_sound(54);
Count backwards rather than counting forwards. Might as well use put_boom_on_char rather than put_boom_on_space. The call run_animation_sound already refreshes the screen, so you don't need force_instant_terrain_redraw, and the character will already be at pose 0, so you don't need set_character_pose unless you're changing that.

In general, finding a character number of a placed monster kind of sucks. It's probably much easier to use an invisible monster, in which case that whole thing shortens to:
active_hidden_group(1); // assuming the invisibility group is 1
put_boom_on_char(30,2,0); // assuming the char number is 30
run_animation_sound(54);
You can just set it to be facing south already, so at that point, you could omit the set_character_facing call. This is probably much easier and much safer than trying to figure out the number of a place_monster creature.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 09:35: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #103
BBEdit did solve the problem, thank you very much. I didn't mention it eerier because it was more of a matter of appearance than a scripting problem, but they look much better and are easier to read now.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #104
I've still time to reply, I'm leaving in two hours, so enough time for a quick word.

First BBEdit. Its indeed a better and clearer program. For everyone who does scripting on the Mac, I recommend it.

Second the creature cutscnene stuff. I supose you know what you're talking about. So what I understand from the teleportation call, you first see black, and then you are teleported? (If so, I'lle maybe will use drakey's method. That is, if there are no better ones posted).

Thanks though, for everyone who has posted until now. I do hope there will be more suggestions for the teleportation, so I can see how people do it.

What do you think of this? I made it myself, but I don't know if its good or not.

beginstate 11;
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0, "The portal in front of you makes a sort of low humming noise and radiates energy to all sides.", 0);
add_dialog_str(1, "Enter it?", 0);
reset_dialog_preset_options(3);
run_dialog(0);
if (choice == 2) {
if (char_ok(1));
put_effect_on_char(1,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(2));
put_effect_on_char(2,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(3));
put_effect_on_char(3,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(4));
put_effect_on_char(4,6,1,0);
run_animation();
run_animation_sound(10);
move_to_new_town(2,6,24);
end();
}
break;

So, is this a good way of doing it (will it work!?)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #105
You have to set the variable "choice" to the value of run_dialog. The "end" call is unnecessary. The call run_animation should not be followed immediately by run_animation_sound. And do NOT put semi-colons after "if" lines. Also, start counting character numbers with zero, not one. If you use reset_dialog_preset_options, don't use it after you set up the dialog.

Also, I'm assuming that there are no joined characters at this point.

Do it like this:

reset_dialog_preset_options(3);
choice = run_dialog(1);
if (choice == 2) {
if (char_ok(0))
put_effect_on_char(0,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(1))
put_effect_on_char(1,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(2))
put_effect_on_char(2,6,1,0);
if (char_ok(3))
put_effect_on_char(3,6,1,0);
run_animation_sound(10);
}
This will work better. But above all, I highly recommend that you TRY OUT WHAT YOU SCRIPT to see if it works. Test everything, especially when you're starting out.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #106
Thanks. I'll try that (as son as I register, what will be in three weeks, I think).

*snif*...*snif*...I...I have to say...goodby. Saying goodby is not easy. *snif*. I'll be back in three weeks, and then we could dance the Salsa!!!....
Yeah. Right. OK, we won't dance the Salsa.

Almost forgot to say this, but in the call I made myself which is written above, the characters are joined in one group, as you alway travel while not in combat mode. Saying this, will it still work? (and I can't test at the moment).

See you in three weeks (This is the fourth time I say goodby. Should say goodby once and for all and just not post anumore). :( (but vacation is fun, So: :D :D :D )

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 22:18: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #107
The problem I see with this is that I'm not sure that the effects will go simultaneously - I think that they'll go one-by-one, and it will look a little silly.

With mine, if the view changes strangely (ie BoA follows the character that's relocated), I'd change it to this:
short i;
i = 0;
while (i < party_size())
{
if (char_ok(i)) {
put_boom_on_char(i,2,short random_shift);
relocate_character(i,short x,short y); } //make this off-screen
i = i + 1;
}
move_to_new_town(town,x2,y2);
I'm sure Kelandon could tell you better if a forced terrain redraw is needed, or whether or not the forced view should occur at some other point in the code. He's more experienced with cutscenes than I am.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 03:40: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #108
Hey, Drakey, doesn't your method still need char_ok() checks, just in case the party has some weird configuration like having PCs only in slots 2 and 4?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

The problem I see with this is that I'm not sure that the effects will go simultaneously - I think that they'll go one-by-one, and it will look a little silly.
No. The call run_animation_sound simultaneously runs all of the animations that have previously been set up. And BoA does not follow the character that's relocated.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Hey, Drakey, doesn't your method still need char_ok() checks, just in case the party has some weird configuration like having PCs only in slots 2 and 4?
Generally, having a weird party configuration like that will break advanced effects in a number of scenarios (Bahssikava definitely, a few others probably, too). But yes.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #110
It's worth accounting for contingencies. After all, even if the player doesn't deliberately go in with a bizarre party, sometimes characters die, and some players actually leave them dead until they can get them resurrected instead of reloading.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 13:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #111
Changed. I initially had a char_ok check, and then I got rid of it when I saw the call party_size, and never put it back in.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #112
I'm pretty sure your revised version won't work properly for the example case I suggested either. As soon as it sees that character 1 isn't okay, it'll skip out of the loop.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #113
Drakefyre: that code will malfunction, cause Unhandled Exceptions on Windows, and create weird graphical errors on a Mac. Definitely do not do it that way.

I don't know why you want to force the view onto the teleporting character anyway. That seems like it would look really odd.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 17:52: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #114
Finally back to the way I kind of had it at the beginning.

I was forcing the view because I was worried about it changing to follow the relocated character.

And this is why I should check code before I post it.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 03:54: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #115
A final quibble; there's an unmatched left brace in your code. Match it and you've finally got a code fragment that works. :P

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #116
Sadly, not even then. Using the party size for the while call just doesn't work. If there are characters in the first and fourth slots, but the second and third slots are blank, then the party size is 2, so the script will try to put booms on chars 0 and 1, even though 1 isn't there to begin with, and it'll miss char 3. This is what Thuryl was pointing out before. Just check up to char 5 (to account for joined NPCs).

Also, you need to run that animation once you've set it up, or else you risk killing BoA entirely. And that will update the screen, so you can't just put it at the end, because that will move the characters off-screen at the same time as the animation runs, meaning you won't see it. Therefore, you have to do one of two things: put the run_animation_sound in the middle of the while and therefore run the animation separately for each character (which would look odd), or split the while as I've done below.

Addditionally, you probably need a pause after the force_instant_terrain_redraw, because that's what teleport_party does. Without the pause, it will happen so fast that you won't notice that the characters got moved off-screen.

short i;
i = 0;
while (i < 6) {
if (char_ok(i))
put_boom_on_char(i,2,0);
i = i + 1;
}
run_animation_sound(10);
i = 0;
while (i < 6) {
relocate_character(i,short x,short y); } //make this off-screen
i = i + 1;
}
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
pause(5);
Fortunately you don't have to check whether the character is alive before using relocate_character on it, because if the character is dead, then you won't see anything and the call won't give you an error.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #117
This was so easy in BoE: http://www.sitemouse.com/users/drakefyre/articles.html#teleport :P

--------------------
====
====
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #118
I'm in America now, and until now, I had a great vacation :D . I found time yo look at the forum. :)

Thanks everyone who posted a reply. So my home made version will work? (at leat after some modifications that Kelandon suggested).

In any way, keep posting! and I'll maybe see you again ina week or so, when I'm in Chicago. Otherwise, I'lle see you back in two weeks. :)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #119
Hi.

I'm now in the vicinity of Washincgton DC, and I thought I'll stop by to freshen up the topic.

I came up with some new questions:

1) When I want to make a wall higher, I change the wall height in the town details screen. The strange thing is though, that when the game makes an higher wall, it copies everything standing on the ground. So what you get is a wall that has to doors or two windows on top of each other. Is there a way to fix this?

2) this is an old question: does anybody still have an other way for teleporting to an other town, that hasn't been posted all ready?

I had more questions, but I can't remember them. maybe tomorrow I will.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #120
1. Make the other wallset the same wallset, but set the height to 1. Incidentally, I'd been meaning to check — I know the 3D Editor shows this, but does the game itself also show it that way?

2. Why do you want more ways to do the same thing? If one works, it works.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #121
I really don't know what the game does with it, as I have the demo version of BoA (I'm going to register the game in less then a week, because I'm home on sunday). I was quite amazed to see it happening, because in Avernum 3, the town walls are very high, but windows of the guarding houses next to the gates don't show up many times on top of each other. its just one time, and the rest is just normal wall.

about the teleporter, I though maybe somebody could give fresh ideas. did somebody for instance use Drakey's method? I didn't, cus of the reason i metioned above. Does it work?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #122
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I really don't know what the game does with it, as I have the demo version of BoA (I'm going to register the game in less then a week, because I'm home on sunday). I was quite amazed to see it happening, because in Avernum 3, the town walls are very high, but windows of the guarding houses next to the gates don't show up many times on top of each other. its just one time, and the rest is just normal wall.

Use a custom terrain. Only works for 2 high walls though. Copy the data from corescendata2, add a second icon and the related data. The problem is you need it for each. So different wall sets...

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #123
That really sounds like something I'm not going to do. Wel, height back to 1 then... (but I'll still try to find an other way). Dahak, anyway, thanks. :)

Now I think its time to find a different way to get this topic a live.
Since my scenario will be finished in probably a few months (if I work very, very hard) I thought, what would people like to have in a scenario. Now please note that I already have my scenario almost out into detail on paper, so I'lle probably wouldn't implement much requests, as it will make things complicated, but maybe I could put it in. you never know.

So, if there is anything that you would love to see in a scenario, don't hesitate to ask it here, and maybe you'll see it back in my scenario:"Where the rivers meet."

(This is not a thing for me to really get ideas from, but more a sort of "be nice to the public" sort of thing).

EDIT:
But please don't start requesting things which I can't do. I'm only a beginner designer.

[ Tuesday, July 26, 2005 15:20: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #124
This might need some cleaning up, but this is what I used to make 2-high doors. Can be changed for windows, cracks, or other walls. Just chage the te_which_sheet, and create a altdoor script (same as door script, but you need to add the new terrain numbers)

//2 High Doors
begindefineterrain 421;
clear;
te_name = "Door";
te_default_script = "altdoor";
te_which_sheet = 601;
te_ed_which_sheet = 690;
te_cutaway_which_sheet = 601;
te_which_icon = 10;
te_second_icon = 0;
te_cutaway_which_icon = 14;
te_cutaway_second_icon = 19;