Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #300
I have problems creating blocks and mirrors which you can push (blocks like in one of the Vahnatai test in Av 2, and mirrors like in ZKR and Bahs).

Can somebody explain to me how to make and place these moving objects?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #301
What you're looking for are the calls that deal with "objects." The two main ones are is_object_on_space and put_object_on_space. These will allow you to place moving mirrors.

However, sadly, the object you mentioned from A2 is no longer an object in BoA; you could script something complicated with it, but that might be more effort than it's worth. You could just as easily use a crate or a barrel.

Also, be aware if you're using lasers with your mirrors that the beam code is buggy and you should immediately test everything you make, or you may find some nasty surprises as your scenario suddenly fails to work in alpha testing. This happened in one part of Bahs.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 06:51: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #302
Isn't that block really not there? :( I came up with something really nice for that.

I think I could use a barrel or crate though...

I think I'll try it with a crate. Isn't there actually a way to make this sort of thing by yourself? I suppose not.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #303
You can, in theory, make a terrain that you can push around using the BLOCK_MOVE_STATE. It might not even be that hard to do. The graphic is still among BoA's defaults, even though it's not defined to do anything right now.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #304
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

You can, in theory, make a terrain that you can push around using the BLOCK_MOVE_STATE. It might not even be that hard to do. The graphic is still among BoA's defaults, even though it's not defined to do anything right now.
Thanks! I'll try that, and if it really doesn't work, I'll try the crates. Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #305
I use a crate in the final dungeon in ETS to let the party get past the magical field, But I'm pretty sure that you can make something different. And if you do, I'd love to know how.

Thanks!

- Archmagus Micael

P.S. Here's the code that I use to check for the crate:
beginstate 22;
run_animation_sound(34);
if (get_flag(30,1) == 0) {
message_dialog("You step on this mat, and hear a small clicking noise. A crate falls from above, onto the rune in front of you.","");
set_flag(30,1,1);}
put_object_on_space(17,49,2);
end();
break;

beginstate 25;
//Checks if object is on block. If it is, allows you to pass.
if (is_object_on_space(23,53,2) == 1) {
block_entry(0);
}

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #306
I decided I'd do something different. Maybe I'll use the stone block somewhere else, but I think I'll just leave it out. For the time being I think this is maybe to difficult for my level if designing. I also don't want scripts made by others, because I want it to be my own work.

Wait, I'm just getting a good idea for stone blocks...

EDIT: I was just thinking: what do you guys think is an inetresting puzzle? I'm constantly trying, but I don't seem to get something acceptable out of it. What do you guys think? And yes, I did look at other scenario's.

[ Wednesday, October 05, 2005 07:21: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #307
The best puzzle is one that makes sense in the context of the plot. Why does your plot require a puzzle at that point?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #308
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The best puzzle is one that makes sense in the context of the plot. Why does your plot require a puzzle at that point?
Mainly because its VERY unrealistic that a heavily guarded fortres can be entered by a back door. This back door, in my opinion, should also have some form of protection. I'd like to send you full details on this, if you are interested, because I actually don't want to reveal all things just here on the forum.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #309
So if a back door is unrealistic, don't have them enter through a back door. Make the party build a tunnel under the fort or something instead.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #310
quote:

So if a back door is unrealistic, don't have them enter through a back door. Make the party build a tunnel under the fort or something instead.
The problem is that you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Therefor I think, that if you want to give me good advise, I'll need to send you some more information concerning this specific topic. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, really.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #311
Okay, send me an email and I'll try to get some more detailed suggestions to you by the weekend.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #312
One could assume from what Thralni was saying, that the puzzle is for the back door. Thralni, if you are going to make a puzzle for the back door, either make it:
Extremely easy
(If you can't be bothered making an alternate route.)
-OR-Average difficulty
(Include a walkthrough for it, and be prepared for some moron to stillask for help on how to get through the puzzle.)
-OR-Extremely complex
(Include a walkthrough for it, include at least one obvious combat-oriented alternate route, and be prepared for some moron to still ask for help on how to get through the puzzle.)Assuming that you are using the 'push some barrel and/or crate' approach, you can try using any combination of: buttons, 'floors as buttons', height differences, hostile combatants, hostile terrain (lava, swamps, etc.), levers, traps, and water. Hopefully these ideas are enough to get the gears turning, hope it helps.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #313
quote:

Okay, send me an email and I'll try to get some more detailed suggestions to you by the weekend.
I'll send you an email, Thuryl.

Cpeters, the is a huge difficulty here. You absolutely don't know what the hell the story is about, and i what situation the party is. I don't want to offend you and I'm grateful for your help, but it will take more then a simple combat or pushing some barrels. Sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to say I wanted to be a puzzle of average difficulty where a player HAS TO THINK, before doing something.

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 05:19: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #314
I sent the eamil Thuryl (well, actually already three days ago).

I just wanted to know what a "Rakshasa" is? It looks like a tiger in magi robes.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #315
A rakshasa is exactly that. In the Avernum Trilogy, they were tiger-men in much the same way that nephils are cat-men. They have extremely strong magical immunity. I don't think we actually learn much about their culture or origins, though.

TM has done a bit of creating background for them, from what I understand, in BoE.

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 09:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #316
Thanks, kelandon. It looks as though a Rakshasa wouldn't look weird in my scenario then.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #317
Also, it's implied that they eat people.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #318
And they have pet cats.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #319
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

And they have pet cats.
Oh no! A scenario full of cats, and no cats! I have to fix that...

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #320
It was quite a while ago that I posted something on this particular topic. Now, I do have another question. Its about graphics I made for my scenario. I already approached a few people about them, but I would like more opinions on them. Just realise, before you look at them, that none of them is finished. Certainly the Senarti 2 graphic has to get an enormous make-over. You can find the graphics here . Just click on the links "First graphics page" and "second graphics" page to view the graphics.

Just one thing: I'll make it clear that I'll eventually use this graphics, and no other graphics other then these. So please, don't start recommending other graphics.

I also ask you, the ones who do reply, to tell me what should be changed and why. "Just change it" is a reason I wont accept to change something.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages