Active Players?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Active Players?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Seldane:

I haven't finished the four scenarios that come with Blades of Avernum yet. I got stuck in the river scenario which I don't remember what it was called.

Good game though. I haven't played it in almost two years I think. Gotta pick it up sometime.

That would be The Za-Khazi Run.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #26
Might as well add my name to the list whilst I'm logged in. Been meanin' to after all.

Ahem. Yes, I do play. I play munchkin roleplayer style - i.e. I find the thinnest justification I can for being a munchkin and use it as an excuse.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
I don't get much time to play BoA scenarios now, but I still regularly download new scenarios as they get released and do play them eventually. I think Druids of Krell is next on my list.

It's an odd month in which I don't start BoA at least once, but it's also an odd month in which I start and complete more than one scenario.

Concerning tastes, I'm with the plot-over-carnage people, pretty much.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Apprentice
Member # 6623
Profile #28
(For anyone who remembers, for all intents and purposes, this is EatAChinchilla. For some reason, the forum won't let me log back in as the same user. Ah well. Anyhow.)

I'm one of the few who have just begun playing BoA. I haven't even registered yet, though I hope to, sometime Soonish.

So yes. I'll be playing for a while. I have a few ideas of my own, though like others, I'm not yet ready to code my own scenarios, etc.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #29
BoA is still a good and playable game, even if there aren´t too many scenarios out now. It´s after all my favourite game. :D

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by harf'er'melora:

I think Druids of Krell is next on my list.
DoK has been "next on my list" for several months now, and I can never seem to work up the motivation to play it. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
I'd take offense if that comment wasn't so justifiable.

Drat.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
Take it as a compliment. I at least intend to play it. I don't intend to play, for example, UV. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5665
Profile Homepage #33
I will probably continue to play BoA after completing A4, but not right away. There are still a number of scenarios I have yet to try out, but I tend to burn out every few months and have to take some time away from Avernum. With that in mind, I'll offer my suggestions for the developers:

1. Its not lack of quality scenarios, its the lack of unique quality scenarios. The design contest rules (which seem to have been removed) mentioned the idea of scenarios not in Avernum, which I'd love to see. Sci-fi tinted plots, modern or future timelines, real life locations, more traditional RPG styling, cowboys & dinosaurs... I would love a "Link to the Past" type scenario that sends my characters into Avernum's future or distant past as part of some game spanning puzzle. And a simple Star Trek style "The future you saw is only one of many possible..." statement keeps it canon.

2. Far more open-ended stories. My biggest complaint about most BoA scenarios, not to mention A3 & A4, are how linear they are. The original Exile/Avernum plotline is what IMHO made it so outstanding. Unlike every sequel and most scenarios since, you start off the orginal with no clue as to the game spanning quests that lie ahead (other than the "Escape from the Pit" subtitle I suppose).

3. Also, notice the plural "quests"... multiple endings are a must have for large scenarios as far as I am concerned. And while I appreciate choice style ending (i.e. DwtD), I prefer the finish one plot, and here's an entirly different one style of the original Exile/Avernum. I also love the chance to skip the plot altogether (i.e. A Perfect Forest)... makes it that much more fufilling when you complete every possible bit of the scenario.

4. On the flip side of the above, I am not downing the short scenarios. Escaping into Avernum, and having a complete adventure is a great way to kill an hour. For some reason though, the short scenarios tend to be the ones that get way to philisophical for my tastes.

Thats really all I've got I suppose. I will say that I never got into BoE, so I don't know how many scenarios for that engine might meet my suggestions. And, like most of the posters to this thread, I'd love to someday create my own scenario to flesh out my vison of the perfect game (which more or less exists in my head), but I haven't got the skills or the time to develop those skills...

--------------------
Signature v2.0
Now with more Retzin!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Sicadastra:

I will say that I never got into BoE, so I don't know how many scenarios for that engine might meet my suggestions.
Out of the approximately three hundred I can verify the existence of (or fewer, I guess, since some of those are utilities), there are many.

With regard to BoA, though, a few things:

1. Probably a quarter of released scenarios right now are set outside of Avernum. I agree: this is an extremely low proportion, especially given BoE's early scenarios (RotS, Tatter, etc.). I think that BoA has to open up to new settings. I wouldn't discount what has been done so far, though: Lord Putidus is set on Earth, Emerald Mountain is set somewhere that feels very non-Avernumy, etc.

2. You found A3 too linear? It's possible that you and I mean entirely different things with the word. More at 3.

3. Multiple major goals (which I think is what you mean by multiple endings — when I hear "multiple endings," I think A Small Rebellion or Geneforge) is fun, but it requires a BIG scenario. Bear in mind that the largest scenarios yet made have twenty or twenty-five towns and little outdoors; Avernum 1 was between five and ten times that big, depending on how you estimate it. When we eventually have scenarios of that magnitude — it may be three or four years from now, if not longer — then I agree that multiple major goals would be nice, but I'm not sure how practical that is for now.

4. The short scenarios get "philosophical" because they're made by TM. :P If you don't like this, don't worry: as other scenarios get made by other people, they won't sound anything like TM scenarios.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #35
I just started playing it recently, after being rather bored with another game. I've played most of the scenarios that I downloaded and am a bit stuck at the beginning of a certain one. (That's why I logged in now. I was looking for a hint.) I'll play good, bad, or indifferent scenarios, and I'm even thinking of designing my own. I have a storyline planned, anyway.

I've been a touch dismayed when scenarios turned out to be much shorter than I thought they would. I like long ones best.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Sicadastra:

I will probably continue to play BoA after completing A4, but not right away. There are still a number of scenarios I have yet to try out, but I tend to burn out every few months and have to take some time away from Avernum. With that in mind, I'll offer my suggestions for the developers:

1. Its not lack of quality scenarios, its the lack of unique quality scenarios. The design contest rules (which seem to have been removed) mentioned the idea of scenarios not in Avernum, which I'd love to see. Sci-fi tinted plots, modern or future timelines, real life locations, more traditional RPG styling, cowboys & dinosaurs... I would love a "Link to the Past" type scenario that sends my characters into Avernum's future or distant past as part of some game spanning puzzle. And a simple Star Trek style "The future you saw is only one of many possible..." statement keeps it canon.

I was already planning to make such a thing in the early days of the scenario I'm making now. i was even thinking to stop working on the scenario I'm busy working on now, but as I first wanted to understand the engine I didn't stop with it. Anyway, what I'm planning as a next scenario, is where you live in a city in Avernum (an existing one like Formello, for example), but.... okay, somebody here who would want to know the story (I haven't thought of all details yet, though)? If somebody would want to know, I'll post it here.

Dareva: if that's what you like, long scenario's, then there is a slim chance you might like my scenario, as its five times bigger then I actually planned it to be, with two times more towns.

[ Friday, December 30, 2005 23:37: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #37
I will start playing again. I got mad with BoA when I noticed (a bit too late) that you can't do lightning effects outdoors, which ruined my whole scenario. I still have the bunch of finished towns and monster graphics from that scenario. Right now I'm thinking of a new scenario where I can put all that work to use, so yes, I wil be playing any new scenario out there to get some ideas (If I don't come up with any idea, I'll probably donate all the stuff to the Lyceum or something).

For me, the biggest problem with BoA designing is not the coding but...ENGLISH! When I was designing my scenario I lost 1/4 of the time correcting spelling errors and that is a lot of time. For a moment I thought on making a scenario in Spanish, for the little spanish reading comunity out there. Just curious...who would actually attempt to play a scenario in spanish?

[ Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:08: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
Would BoA even display the accents correctly?

I'd give a Spanish-language scenario a shot.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
BoE was always pretty good at displaying accented characters. I imagine BoA would do an okay job as well. After all, after the smart-quotes fiasco with various scenarios, we know it's capable of displaying accented characters when we don't want it to. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

For me, the biggest problem with BoA designing is not the coding but...ENGLISH! When I was designing my scenario I lost 1/4 of the time correcting spelling errors and that is a lot of time. For a moment I thought on making a scenario in Spanish, for the little spanish reading comunity out there. Just curious...who would actually attempt to play a scenario in spanish?
If you want a beta reader for all those niggly little English errors, I'd be happy to help, Nazgul. That goes for anyone else, too.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #41
I still occasionally play BoA, and am also hammering away at a scenario still.

I don't think I have a major gripe with any scenarios that exist at the minute - anything that works is an achievement. That said, sometimes the bugs and poor typing does annoy me...

And, I may be in a the minority here, but I prefer shorter scenarios. The longer ones tend to lose focus, whilst because the smaller ones don't require so much drawing, more time can be spent on plot and innovations.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next scenario...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Apprentice
Member # 6628
Profile #42
I will continue to play new scenarios as they come out. Big thank you to all designers.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by harf'er'melora:

I think Druids of Krell is next on my list.
DoK has been "next on my list" for several months now, and I can never seem to work up the motivation to play it. :P

As I write, BoA is open and I have started playing DoK. I made a resolution for this year to do things I plan to instead of putting them off for later. :)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #44
I would try anything at least once.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #45
I played BoA 24/7 until I ordered the Geneforge trilogy and got distracted. But, someday, I will return...

I play any new scenario that comes out though. And im starting work on mi own now.

Off topic: What do you think of a scenario on a mysterious wind-swept island?

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 16:51: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #46
A Small Rebellion and A Perfect Forest both take place on an island. Are there any others?

I'd emphasize the "wind-swept" through area descriptions as opposed to the "mysterious."

Edit: Where'd the final line go? Dikiyoba will just type it again.

Dikiyoba.

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 17:01: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

Off topic: What do you think of a scenario on a mysterious wind-swept island?
Just about any setting holds promise. It depends on the execution.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #48
Well, I guess I put mysterious because mi plot writing skills have not yet thought of a better reason. Currently mi party appears on this island and... theres lots of notes about wind...

Ive just started it...

Edit to Kelandon: Tru

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 17:48: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #49
I occasionally play BoA. Just completed testing one of Smoo's scenarios and then got distracted by a Mac on DSL (A4) until that party ended. Now it is back to home, and work, and whatever else that entails.

*this message sponsored by janus*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Pages