Ocean Bound

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ocean Bound
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #0
I played this game a long time ago. I hated it with a passion. Did anyone else play this game and if so did they like it or hate it?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I played it and even kept it on my computer for a while before deleting it with extreme prejudice. It's not terrible, but it's not a lot of fun, either. It fails the effort to interesting ratio test. When I'm terribly bored and braindead I just play solitaire or Sparkz.

—Alorael, who isn't sure why he hates the game less than Galactic Core. The lack of humiliating stupid AI may be part of it, but it just may be less prone to tripping some primitive lizard brain hate response.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #2
I played for a little while about a year ago. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't impressed with it. The lack of plot was made worse by the way each level began exactly the same way with your boat crashing into an island.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #3
It's not supposed to have a plot.

I thought it was okay. But I wouldn't register thirty more exactly similar scenarios.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #4
Strange. The first RWG to not be locked instantly for a while. And yes, Ocean Bound, for lack of a better word, sucked.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

The lack of plot was made worse by the way each level began exactly the same way with your boat crashing into an island.
I would think after crashing the boat so many times they would get a new helmsmen, but hey, whatever makes the game "move on".
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #6
I hated OceanBound with all of my soul. It had no plot at ALL.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #7
1. Since when do puzzle games require a plot? You might as well complain about the lack of realism in Tetris. It is simply not necessary for the purposes of the game.

2. The levels in Ocean Bound were not meant to represent sequential chapters in an ongoing story. The "plot" is purely episodic and specific to the individual islands. The entire purpose of reaching a new level is to experience the same challenges again with different variables (island size and features, number of people, etc). This is a classic feature of puzzle games. It is ridiculous to complain about continuity in such a situation.

Since I seem to be the only person here who even moderately liked this game, I thought I'd point these things out. Don't hold non-RPGs to RPG standards. ;)

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #8
You've got a good point about it not being a RPG. The fact that I have trouble growing food makes me mad at the game.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #9
You do know that you get less return each time you replant a crop in the same place, right?

I guess Ocean Bound isn't so bad, but I'd much rather play a different game.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Actually, if you're quick on the trigger, harvesting fields that can't produce more than the minimum amount of food still works in a number of levels. Go figure.

—Alorael, who can't speak for anything past the demo because, well, registering this thing would take far more interest than it generates even when he plays it just after accidentally opening GC.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
I played it once, a while ago... I didn't think it was terrible, but it definitely wasn't worth registering. Alorael explained why best. Lost Souls, in my opinion, is the only good RWG, but I've never played Sub-Terra. Is that good?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
Hrm, lessee. Of the three RWG, Galactic Core is supposed to be terrible, Ocean Bound is supposed to be fairly lame, and Lost Souls is actually pretty good — it's the only one of the five "older games" I've played. Of the other two non-Jeff Vogel Spiderweb games, Subterra is reputed to be quite good, and I think I heard once that Homeland was about on par with Galactic Core. Is that a fair assessment of the situation?

I am going to steal Wizcoski's PC and play Subterra and Homeland to find out what these things are. Subterra is actually supposed to be worth it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #13
Subterra is good but don't even waste your time with Homeland. It's so bad, it will make your eyes bleed.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #14
Heh- the demo for Homeland was ok- I suppose. It tries to be like Fallout or something and at times fails miserably but overall it was allright. Don't know bout the rest of it though.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #15
Am I the only one that liked GC?
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #16
Have you talked to Icshi yet?
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #17
The lack of spam in RWG recently is starting to get borish

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #18
then why don't you go spam some? :P

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #19
I liked Homeland, in a way. At least I was disappointed when the demo ended. Not relieved.

If one takes the emotional approach instead of the technical, one might like it. And screw your need to be sarcastic. At least try to enjoy.

--------------------
Mow down the sexy people.
Apprentice
Member # 3793
Profile Homepage #20
I liked GC a lot. It wasn't super complex, yet it was fun. I'll admit it had problems - multiplayer for example, but otherwise it was fun.

--------------------
-EVWeb
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #21
The lack of spam here is starting to make me nervous.

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #22
because you touch yourself at night.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #23
ew

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Apprentice
Member # 5267
Profile #24
I first downloaded a copy of OB for my Mac from a Hotline (great protocol, that) server. I thought "Blah, what a bad game, it's too tedious and simple, I shall most like to delete it soon." I kept thinking that, but never actually did so, rather like the Dread Pirate Cumberbund. I have another rather bad game, which I keep because it has some attributes. I do such things, and especially for computer games.

Later, like a two years, I tried Ocean Bound again. I actually finished the first island, and said, "Well, that was indeed tedious, but not so bad as I initially thought. I still wouldn't want to buy 60-such islands."

On the subject of puzzle games:
If anyone reading this likes logic/puzzle games, I would recommend they try Minesweeper, Stained Glass, or Icebreaker.

-Can-ned Food is making each post worthwhile, even on such simple threads. Either that, or trying to increase his post count, apparently.

Pages